World Cup qualifiers - Qatar 2022

5 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

@senorsoupe what are the chances of David Wotherspoon getting back in the squad for it?

Not that great to be honest.  We have a lot of wingers and forwards ahead of him in the pecking order so barring a lot of injuries I don't see a way he would get ahead of the likes of Junior Hoilett, Tajon Buchanan, and Liam Millar into a 23 man squad 

9 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

@senorsoupe what are the chances of David Wotherspoon getting back in the squad for it?

Spoony flew in to be part of the celebrations Sunday and got a good ovation in Toronto. I think that speaks to his status in the squad.

I agree with senorsoupe though, he’s going to be in tough. I think the last couple of squad places are totally up for grabs. There are a couple of young players coming back from serious injury, a couple of very promising teenagers, and a few promising players who haven’t committed to Canada yet who all could push some squad regulars. Wotherspoon’s versatility and his involvement in the group through qualifying are both big marks in his favour. They aren’t going to break up the chemistry of this group much, if at all, in the next six months.

f**k f**k f**k, forgot about these today. Currently watching a VHS-quality Dutch stream from Dakar.

Currently 1-1 on aggregate. C'mon the Lions.

Edit: mental amount of green lasers getting shined into the Egyptian players' faces from the home crowd.
Edit 2: just as I typed that, one of the Egyptian players went off claiming to have been blinded by the lights. Not good.

Edited by BFTD

1 minute ago, Kejan said:

They were shining one on Quieroz's bald bonce earlier!

2-1 NIGERIA!

I'm a bit more fond of Ghana for some reason, but always happy enough to see Nigeria at a World Cup, so fair enough.

Just now, BFTD said:

I'm a bit more fond of Ghana for some reason, but always happy enough to see Nigeria at a World Cup, so fair enough.

Offside.

Would prefer Ghana too, but not overly fussed who goes through.

30 minutes ago, Kejan said:

Mon Senegal (and DRC, Cameroon and Mali later on).

1-0 Ghana now away in Lagos, so no ET/Pens required.

Do FIFA still use the away goals rule? Is it only UEFA that scrapped it.

In today’s UNL relegation playoff, Moldova won 1-0 in Kazakhstan, with the Kazakhs having won the first leg 2-1 in Moldova. Kazakhstan eventually won on penalties, but previously they’d have won on away goals. 

2 minutes ago, Donathan said:

In today’s UNL relegation playoff, Moldova won 1-0 in Kazakhstan, with the Kazakhs having won the first leg 2-1 in Moldova. Kazakhstan eventually won on penalties, but previously they’d have won on away goals. 

I was wondering that too.

Wiki is no help!

A friend in Macedonia who ordinarily could not give a single shite about the football is right up for this tonight. Meanwhile a Portuguese workmate insists miserably that his team perform very poorly against teams that they are supposed to beat.

It would be absolutely wonderful if Macedonia made it, but I just can;t see them performaing with the same intensity and enjoying the same charmed life in front of goal twice in the sapce of five days. Plus this is CR7 (TM) last tilt at a world cup so can't see him spiralling out with a whimper in a qualifier against a diddy team.

Intriguing match ahead.

I believe it's up to the individual confederations (subject to FIFA's approval).
Africa is using using away goals for example.

Half-time in Senegal, and it's 1-1 on aggregate. Senegal should finish this off in regular time, but Egypt are still niggly c***s who like a wee lie-down when things aren't going their way.

This has been an annoyance throughout the qualifiers, but it's nice that the BBC can provide live updates from international friendlies from across Europe and beyond, but nobody can keep an eye on Africa's final World Cup games and update the scores until some time after all the matches have finished  <_<

Watching Senegal/Egypt with Spanish commentary. Went to the kitchen to grab a drink and came back to see an Egyptian on the deck like he’d been shot and VAR checking for a red card (which wasn’t given)

anyone see what happened? 

57 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Watching Senegal/Egypt with Spanish commentary. Went to the kitchen to grab a drink and came back to see an Egyptian on the deck like he’d been shot and VAR checking for a red card (which wasn’t given)

anyone see what happened? 

Making dinner at the time, unfortunately. Bear in mind that Egypt drop like Argentina's players in 1990.

The longer this goes on without Senegal taking their chances, the more I'm dreading Egyptian "revenge" on penalties. It's pretty much what they're playing for, again.

Edit: bit of a weird tangent, but I wonder if you can get contact lenses that mitigate the light from laser pens. This is ridiculous.
Edit 2: Jesus, fucking score, Senegal!!!  :angry:
Edit 3: Jesus fucking shitting buggery, Senegal. It goes in the net, FFS!!!

Edited by BFTD