World Cup qualifiers - Qatar 2022

9 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

I'm pretty sure this makes up for all the bags of piss their fans have thrown at opposition players over the years.  Not to mention setting off fire alarms in the middle of the night at the hotel of visiting teams, or honking car horns in front of the hotels at night.  Plus they also get the advantage of altitude.

Was just teasing. Every team should make full advantage of their home ties so using the likes of altitude or sub zero conditions is fine by me. Fans nonsense not so much and reducing themselves to Ibrox levels by piss throwing is a disgrace.

6 hours ago, Ken Deans said:

44000 in Edmonton says it's working

I saw they had over 48000 at the last game. It's good to see. 

41 minutes ago, mizfit said:

What’s gone right for Canada recently then?

Just a case of having a good group of players at once, or is it because of changes to how they treat football?

They’ll be more to it, but I imagine not having to play guys like Fraser Aird or Marcus Haber has helped. 

On 16/11/2021 at 09:58, TheScarf said:

Welsh lad getting pelters last night for this Tweet.  Was very much tongue-in-cheek but also what it feels like most of the time - 

The only teams the Welsh and Irish hate more than the English national team are the ones in their own domestic leagues 

I don't know the history of immigration in Canada but I've noticed almost all the Canadian team just now are either 1st or 2nd generation immigrants. So maybe just football's now the dominant sport in a lot of families and communities now whereas before it was all Ice Hockey or Canadian Football?

I don't know the history of immigration in Canada but I've noticed almost all the Canadian team just now are either 1st or 2nd generation immigrants. So maybe just football's now the dominant sport in a lot of families and communities now whereas before it was all Ice Hockey or Canadian Football?

Potentially that’s what we’re seeing.
Which makes it even funnier the US seems to be stagnating.

On 16/11/2021 at 00:42, senorsoupe said:

I love it so much!  One thing it doesn't specifically mention is scoring goals, which we failed to do at the 1986 World Cup lol 

That doesn't tell the whole story though @senorsoupe. I remember as  a 10 going on 11 child watching the match against France. The French started off in blasé fashion, thinking that they were going to swat the Canadians aside, but as the match progressed and the Mexican sun rose the French became more agitated as the score remained 0-0 and Papin missed chance after chance. Canada were very unlucky during that match and vaguely recall a very good performance from Paul Dolan.

2 hours ago, mizfit said:

Just a case of having a good group of players at once, or is it because of changes to how they treat football?

Not only that but there has been a concerted effort to improve youth coaching and development.  There are a lot more free football leagues and coaching than there used to be so kids like Alphonso Davies (who came as a refugee) actually had a chance to play with decent youth coaches.  We still have a lot of work to do to eliminate the "pay to play" model but we are making progress.  

On the subject of "pay to play" the outrageous costs associated with a lot of other youth sports over here, especially Hockey, means that more and more families are enrolling their kids in the sports like football that are much cheaper for them.  

2 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

That doesn't tell the whole story though @senorsoupe. I remember as  a 10 going on 11 child watching the match against France. The French started off in blasé fashion, thinking that they were going to swat the Canadians aside, but as the match progressed and the Mexican sun rose the French became more agitated as the score remained 0-0 and Papin missed chance after chance. Canada were very unlucky during that match and vaguely recall a very good performance from Paul Dolan.

That is quite true.  I am a bit too young (I was only a baby in 1986) to remember but I do know that we played very well against France.  Unfortunately things fell apart against Hungary and the Soviet Union though

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

That's part of it.  But as I alluded to in my other post, when it costs a family several thousand dollars a year to put their kids in Hockey or Canadian Football, they will turn to other sports.  It's also why our national baseball and basketball teams are also getting stronger

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

They’ll be more to it, but I imagine not having to play guys like Fraser Aird or Marcus Haber has helped. 

This is a consequence of the improved coaching system over here.  We no longer have to go fishing in the English and Scottish lower leagues for guys with a Canadian connection.  Canadian teams (with proper academies) in MLS have played a big part and the new Canadian Premier League will also give a chance to more young Canadian players to get a taste of professional football.

All in all, things are looking up for us

4 hours ago, mizfit said:

They've got some great players, but it also does help that CONCACAF is packed with absolutely terrible teams, so being just OK is more than enough to help you qualify.

Mexico with the typical Latin American "Cannae take it" behaviour after the game, delighted with that result.

Like Senorsoupe said previously, the price of playing ice hockey here is massive, all the best Canadian hockey players there days are all rich kids from the suburbs, immigrant's kids are playing football (I'm hoping my kids can play both)

I'm intrigued to see what the support for Canada will be like if/when they qualify for the World Cup, how many will get behind the country of their birth rather than the parent's or grandparent's country?  Personally I find myself getting slightly more excited about a Canada win these days than I do Scotland