World Cup qualifiers - Qatar 2022

9 hours ago, virginton said:

Any proposal that removes all these gubbins international breaks during the domestic season should be warmly welcomed. 

So we can get back to watching Morton being relegated?

Fucking get a grip.

3 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Nigeria 1 Cape Verde 1 - Nigeria win the group by 2pts and proceed to the playoffs.

Algeria 2 Burkina Faso 2 - Algeria win the group by 3pts and proceed to the playoffs.

I see Africa has gone back to having 10 qualifying groups - with their 5 finals places being decided by 5 playoffs in March. No automatic qualification and it all rests on those 2-legged ties. Nobody else does it this way.

They tried that once before (usually they've an initial round followed by only 5 groups with winners qualifying) but with so much at stake they were marred by protests about ineligible players and even crowd trouble... Bougherra of Rangers was caught-up in it IIRC... so they reverted.

Interesting to see how it fares this time.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Wales really going for it now, Neco Williams has been superb. For what is essentially a standard 2000s flatpack stadium (with a wee extension) the Cardiff City Stadium seems to be a cracking ground for big international games. 

Edited by Fratelli

Netherlands with a couple fairly late goals against Norway to qualify automatically. Norway without Haaland have offered pretty much zero threat and are pretty much out with Turkey 2-1 up in Montenegro.

I don't think Norway have qualified for anything since Euro 2000, so they are pretty much the new Scotland.

Pretty shocking result for Uruguay right now if it stands, losing 2-0 away to Bolivia with 20 mins to go. Currently sat in 7th in qualifying. Better day for Peru, who lead Venezuela away and are up to 4th in the table. Mind you, only 1 point separating the two. Surprised to see Bolivia only one point further behind than Uruguay, stand a decent chance of making their first World Cup since 1994 if they keep getting impressive results like these.

Edit: Bolivia missed a pen to go 3 up and are now a man down. Squeaky bum time in La Paz now... or should I say, "tiempo de culo chirrido"?

Also, gaun the Canadians, the (spiritual) Scotland of North America. Big fan of them making opponents play in this.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

6 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Also, gaun the Canadians, the (spiritual) Scotland of North America. Big fan of them making opponents play in this.

Mexico have been the undisputed masters of this sort of shithousery in CONCACAF for decades, time for them to get a taste of their own medicine

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Netherlands with a couple fairly late goals against Norway to qualify automatically. Norway without Haaland have offered pretty much zero threat and are pretty much out with Turkey 2-1 up in Montenegro.

I don't think Norway have qualified for anything since Euro 2000, so they are pretty much the new Scotland.

We've been very lucky with the draw, Norway and Turkey were absolutely dross, we were just about less rubbish than them. I'm not exactly convinced we'll do much at the World Cup though, but we have qualified so i'm happy about that.

2 hours ago, Charles Stiles said:

Quite right too. They're well known for scheduling games in Mexico City for when the snows thick on the ground and it's sub zero. 🥶

I'm pretty sure this makes up for all the bags of piss their fans have thrown at opposition players over the years.  Not to mention setting off fire alarms in the middle of the night at the hotel of visiting teams, or honking car horns in front of the hotels at night.  Plus they also get the advantage of altitude.

Been a relatively tedious and bad-tempered game so far tbh (not improved by a ref who loves the sound of his whistle), but Canada looking the better side of the two so far. Just need to settle down and pick their passes better, this Mexico team is there to be cut open.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee