World Cup qualifiers - Qatar 2022

2 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

The irony of course is, england rely on groups full of these teams ensuring almost guaranteeing qualification for every tournament. 

Welsh lad getting pelters last night for this Tweet.  Was very much tongue-in-cheek but also what it feels like most of the time - 

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

Welsh lad getting pelters last night for this Tweet.  Was very much tongue-in-cheek but also what it feels like most of the time - 

:lol:           

13 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

England have always been furious with San Marino since the time they went 1-0 down the them within 8 seconds

Yeah, there's probably a bit of that in there too. Not that it mattered anyway due to the Poles (I think) losing to the Dutch, but that goal would've seen them fail to qualify even if the other result had gone their way. Just imagine.

Billy Big-Baws like England have absolutely nothing to gain from playing San Marino and everything to lose; Christ, they just hit double figures in a single game and the most common comment seems to be, "we should never be playing shite like this". Like with the FA Cup, I can understand clubs and their staff wishing they didn't have to play the diddies, but for the fans to jump onboard is just weird, and the reason we've ended up with the Champions League.

5 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

The England national team and their supporters are very Old Firm*y arent they?

Yes, which is bizarre, given the Old Firm actually win trophies.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Yeah, there's probably a bit of that in there too. Not that it mattered anyway due to the Poles (I think) losing to the Dutch, but that goal would've seen them fail to qualify even if the other result had gone their way. Just imagine.

Billy Big-Baws like England have absolutely nothing to gain from playing San Marino and everything to lose; Christ, they just hit double figures in a single game and the most common comment seems to be, "we should never be playing shite like this". Like with the FA Cup, I can understand clubs and their staff wishing they didn't have to play the diddies, but for the fans to jump onboard is just weird, and the reason we've ended up with the Champions League.

They'd be the first country complaining if the groups weren't seeded too.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Any proposal that removes all these gubbins international breaks during the domestic season should be warmly welcomed. 

Wenger's proposal for WCs every other year envisages fewer international breaks (Oct + Mar IIRC) but longer (2-4 weekends each).

Add in winter break and it'd be stop-start on steroids:

Jul ... preseason
Aug-Sep ... club football
Oct ... international football
Nov-Dec ... club football
(Jan) ... winter break
(Jan)-Feb ... club football
Mar ... international football
Apr-May ... club football
Jun ... international tournament

7 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

image.thumb.png.4be7ce80ef84ad3c4ce11b85bf65cdbc.png

Someone said the thing

The replies were as expected. Basically that tends to happen because England rarely play anyone even half decent.

I wonder if Owen's one of those who daydreams about "the romance of the cup" when the Lower Uppingham Senior Citizens get drawn against Manchester United in the third round, or if he's consistent enough to only tune in when the clubs with ten-figure turnover are left in the draw.

Couple of big games in African qualification at the moment. Algeria vs Burkina Faso and Nigeria vs Cape Verde are both winner takes all in terms of progression for the final phase.
Nigeria 1 Cape Verde 1 - Nigeria win the group by 2pts and proceed to the playoffs.

Algeria 2 Burkina Faso 2 - Algeria win the group by 3pts and proceed to the playoffs.

On 15/11/2021 at 13:53, Funky Nosejob said:

South Africa pulling an “England” and wanting their game replayed.

World Cup 2022: 'Robbed' South Africa seek replay of Ghana game

They do have form for asking for spurious replays. The 2011 African Cup of Nations qualifiers they played for a draw in their final game thinking the group was decided on goal difference. Having successfully timewasted their way to a 0-0 draw at home to Sierra Leone and celebrated wildly at full-time, they then found themselves eliminated on head to head and demanded a replay because they didn't know the rules.

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

They do have form for asking for spurious replays. The 2011 African Cup of Nations qualifiers they played for a draw in their final game thinking the group was decided on goal difference. Having successfully timewasted their way to a 0-0 draw at home to Sierra Leone and celebrated wildly at full-time, they then found themselves eliminated on head to head and demanded a replay because they didn't know the rules.

It's a hangover from the Apartheid era, but I still don't want South Africa to qualify, so it's nice of them to give me reasons to cover up my prejudice.