World Cup qualifiers - Qatar 2022

4 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:
Canada at a World Cup would be a good inclusion.

Not sure about that.

It does scream "surprise defeat eliminates Scotland".

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Canada at a World Cup would be a good inclusion.

They can obviously only qualify for a World Cup in one sport at a time.

They haven't qualified for the football World Cup since the Rugby World Cup started in 1987, but had qualified for every RWC, until they shat it against Chile in the qualifiers at the weekend.

Oh... Bolivia now 2-0 up!

I would never be mad enough to say I have a CONMEBOL team, but I've always loved Bolivia for some reason, and whilst they (we.. nah, haha, a few pints in I might try it, *MINTER*) probably need some results to go their way, they are now up to 12pts.

Absolute scenes at the end. In 10th minute of injury time (after VAR review on a penalty  to Ecuador that was overturned for some reason not made clear) Colombia scored. After two minutes of wild celebrations the ref is advised to look at it again by VAR and after another 5 minute review decides that the ball has brushed a Colombian hand and disallows the goal. From angles shown not convinced it was hand ball and definitely not a clear and obvious error. 

2 hours ago, Kejan said:

Oh... Bolivia now 2-0 up!

I would never be mad enough to say I have a CONMEBOL team, but I've always loved Bolivia for some reason, and whilst they (we.. nah, haha, a few pints in I might try it, *MINTER*) probably need some results to go their way, they are now up to 12pts.

Personally, I've always been hoping Venezuela would finally qualify; the Luxembourg of South America, and the only country yet to grace the big stage. Sounds like the poor b*****ds who live there could really use something good to happen too. 

Bolivia surely deserve another run out as well, but the top five look pretty nailed on now. Big difference between the win/loss records in the two halves of the table.

39 minutes ago, Jute said:

Absolute scenes at the end. In 10th minute of injury time (after VAR review on a penalty  to Ecuador that was overturned for some reason not made clear) Colombia scored. After two minutes of wild celebrations the ref is advised to look at it again by VAR and after another 5 minute review decides that the ball has brushed a Colombian hand and disallows the goal. From angles shown not convinced it was hand ball and definitely not a clear and obvious error. 

If I was the referee I would get the hell out of Colombia as quickly as possible, after what happened to Andres Escobar I would not trust the colombians.

8 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

pardon?

It’s a 48 team effort so they can easily fit three berths of automatic qualifying in, especially when those three include the two giants of CONCACAF and the possible emerging third force. They’ll just heavily limit how many berths CONCACAF get from the qualifiers and you’ll end up with the usual 6 berths going to USA, Mexico, Canada, Panama, Costa Rica and Jamaica but the first three won’t have had to play qualifiers.

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

It’s a 48 team effort so they can easily fit three berths of automatic qualifying in, especially when those three include the two giants of CONCACAF and the possible emerging third force. They’ll just heavily limit how many berths CONCACAF get from the qualifiers and you’ll end up with the usual 6 berths going to USA, Mexico, Canada, Panama, Costa Rica and Jamaica but the first three won’t have had to play qualifiers.

Yer just guessing here. It's a fair enough guess but they haven't decided what (if any) countries automatically qualify.

• 4 weeks later...
Tonight’s Australia v Saudi Arabia game is Australia’s first game at home since they beat Nepal 5-0 in Canberra on 10 October 2019.

Did Australia play all their qualifiers away from home?

A win for Portugal tonight and Luxembourg will have the cigars out against Ireland on Sunday. Because they'll definitely be finishing third. Ahead of Ireland. Who'll be finishing behind Luxembourg.