World Cup qualifiers - Qatar 2022

14 minutes ago, virginton said:

I for one am shocked that a police force that couldn't deal with Fat Dave from Slough after ten cans of Stella got sent packing by the professional hooligans of the Carpathian Brigade. Always good to see the pigs being put back in their box after they start laying into people with truncheons to 'make their message clear' as well.

Lovely to see a bunch of Government backed black shirted homophobes and racists having a grand day out.

5 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I said the exact same thing in the pub last night. Checked and saw South Ireland had cuffed them and said to my mate that they’ll easily concede 10+ goals over their 3 group games. 

Presumably this was a big factor in the host nation being included in the fixtures for one of the actual qualifying groups. I know previous hosts have bemoaned the lack of proper competitive fixtures during qualifying (not that this really counts either).

If you look at their results in recent years, craigkillie's comment about them losing every game respectably seems fair. They'll be one of the worst sides at the competition, but rigorous preparation and home advantage ought to get them through without embarrassment. Still a complete minter that they were awarded the tournament at all, mind you, for so many different reasons, but that's FIFA for you.

Ukraine must be approaching a few qualifying records now. 6 draws in 7 and 5 of them have been 1-1.

Looking into this a but more, the only other time a team in a 5 team quali group (world cup or euro) drew more than 4 games was Switzerland in 1988. They drew 5/8, so Ukraine have already broke that record with 6/8 draws as a minimum.

In terms of percentage of quali games drawn (4-8 team groups) the highest is Romania who drew 5/6 (83%) of their Euro 1976 qualification games (same group as Scotland fwiw). On only four occasions has a team drawn more than 60% of their games; Romania in 1976 quali, Switzerland in 1988 quali, Ireland in 1992 quali (4/6), and Ukraine's current campaign. If they don't draw their final game against B&H, Ukraine will have the 2nd highest draw percentage ever (6/8 games - 75%).
If they draw the final game they will have the highest ever at 87.5%.
Also if the final game against Bosnia & Herzegovina is a draw, B&H will finish the campaign with 5/8 draws (62.5%) and become only the 5th team ever to break the 60% barrier for drawn games.

Random unnecessary facts.

5 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Panama were tough to break down and it took a bit of Alphonso Davies magic to do it but once it happened the floodgates opened.  Super happy for the win

Out of absolutely nothing, that was a fantastic rammy at the Panama corner just before half time. Some top trolling from Canadian sub. A deserved victory for Canada. Almost half way through the qualifying campaign and they are well placed for a top 3 finish.

Quality home win against one of the previous qualifiers, and Jamaica's win in Honduras makes Canada's draw there seem a bit less like dropped points. Looking good so far.

1986 was the first World Cup that I was old enough to remember, and I didn't see any of Canada's games, so looking forward to seeing a "new" team compete next year  :thumsup2

9 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Be interesting to see how they decided which of the hosts automatically qualify in 2026

Apparently the submitted bid assumed all three would be given automatic spots. Bit cheeky.

Considering it's the first World Cup with 48 teams, they'd probably get away with that without too much complaint, as CONCACAF would still have at least three qualifying places to play for, and it would take a monumental f**k-up for Mexico or America not to have finished in the top six anyway. Looks like there's a chance of eight CONCACAF qualifiers, actually; that final pan-global play-off tournament could be fun to watch.

31 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Quality home win against one of the previous qualifiers, and Jamaica's win in Honduras makes Canada's draw there seem a bit less like dropped points. Looking good so far.

1986 was the first World Cup that I was old enough to remember, and I didn't see any of Canada's games, so looking forward to seeing a "new" team compete next year  :thumsup2

If we make it, I hope we can score a goal this time