World Cup qualifiers - Qatar 2022

3 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

There are talks about changing the WC format to make it every 2 years.

I like summer international tournaments but I’m not a fan of that idea.

Ultimately FIFA make Rangers look like a bastion of fair play so it’ll probably happen once the bribes start being handed out.

It is a simple matter of money. FIFA dole out the cash to member associations when they have it. And they only get money in Men's world cup years. Small nations are going to vote for the extra money, because they aren't actually going to be playing at the World Cup

The 70ish members of UEFA and South America who make a decent chunk of money in the current system, playing qualifiers in front of big crowds and tv audiences will be out voted by all the Asian, Oceania and most of Africa and CONCACAF.

Africa and CONCACAF already play their federation tournement evey 2 years and South America seem to play the Copa America whenever they want so FIFA are just jumping on the bandwagon.

A UEFA boycott is the only thing that can possibly stop this.

Team 33 [emoji23]
Tears and snotters everywhere. Sepp Blatter:
"We received a delegation from Ireland at Fifa and they were naturally absolutely unhappy at what has happened. They know the match cannot be replayed and the decision of the referee is final," said Blatter. "Naturally they have not asked for any sanctions to be given to any player or the referee, but they have asked, very humbly 'Can't we be team No33 at the World Cup?' They have asked for that, really. I will bring it to the attention of the executive committee but if we do that, we will also have to bring in Costa Rica."

Quite a coincidence that the FAI dropped their threats of legal action shortly after FIFA gave them a $5million loan towards construction of the Aviva Stadium, which was later written off.

8 hours ago, Dolf said:

It seems a little silly for Scots to laugh at how awful Ireland are at soccer when it's the only game played in Scotland and you aren't much better than them

Aw, I'm really sorry mate. I wish you and your lovely country no ill will but at the moment, whilst not being amazing ourselves, we are galaxies ahead of you guys. 

• 4 weeks later...

In Asian qualifiers Japan lost 0-1 in Jeddah for their 2nd defeat from 3 games. Next game is Tuesday night at home to Australia who beat Oman 3-1 at home in Doha. This was Australia’s 11th win in a row in this qualifying campaign which is apparently a new record. I can’t see them extending it to 12 though.

7 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

1-1 at the Azteca is a fantastic result for us, and we were good value for it as well  

Allez les rouges!

Certainly a promising start, getting the trickiest fixtures out of the way early and picking up points.

I see your boy Larin is the current top scorer too. Obviously got a head start on some of the bigger names, but still.

Concacaf region shaping up nicely. USA top as you might expect but only on goal difference from Mexico with Canada, Panama and El Salvador hot on their heels. I would expect Canada and Mexico to comfortably win their next games against Jamaica and Honduras respectively. USA have got a tough match next, away to Panama. 

37 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Certainly a promising start, getting the trickiest fixtures out of the way early and picking up points.

I see your boy Larin is the current top scorer too. Obviously got a head start on some of the bigger names, but still.

We just need to keep on trucking and picking up points.  Our next two games are Jamaica away and Panama at home, these are the teams we are really competing with for 3rd place.  

I also like how we have decided to play our November home games outdoors in Edmonton against Costa Rica and Mexico.  That's top class shithousery by the CSA to use our climate to our advantage

5 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Concacaf region shaping up nicely. USA top as you might expect but only on goal difference from Mexico with Canada, Panama and El Salvador hot on their heels. I would expect Canada and Mexico to comfortably win their next games against Jamaica and Honduras respectively. USA have got a tough match next, away to Panama. 

I think we should be OK against Jamaica, but we have lost 3 players due to suspension for that game. Michail Antonio not being available for this matchday is a huge blow for Jamaica, he's by far their best player