World Cup qualifiers - Qatar 2022

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

And there’s a real lack of goals in the squad. It makes ours look prolific. Top scorer is James McClean with 11, then Shane Duffy has 5. Their forwards have 62 caps between them, and have managed 5 goals. James Forrest has that many international goals.

Ireland were undoubtedly elevated up a level by having a genuine top class forward in Robbie Keane for 20 years. Obviously they had other decent players but you can't overstate the difference made by having someone you can hang your hat on to score every second game. Stating the obvious I guess there but I doubt they would've had the number of qualifications they did in recent years without him and will now struggle (as we do) due to the lack of a goalscorer.

22 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Doesn’t help when their 2 biggest prospects suddenly change allegiance to England after playing for their U-21’s tbf.

They were both English. Southern Ireland spent years capping anybody they could. Good to see them reap what they sow. 

Edited by Mr. Alli

Excellent point well presented, ended up reading into it and turns out the FAI is incredibly corrupt and is an old Boys club that’s let the LOI collapse. so long as young talent move to England they don’t care what’s happening in their back garden.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

I remember a few comments back at the start of qualifying along the lines of, "who are these people in the Ireland squad?"

Republic of Ireland national football team - Wikipedia

Genuinely looks like a squad full of regens. I'm convinced half of them are made up. 

Wales finally getting their comeuppance ? They no doubt have some good players, but they have been incredibly jammy as well of late - or maybe that's good, and grinding out wins in places Scotland could only dream of. 

They'll no doubt win 3-2 and balding Bale will do that silly celebration that is about 10 years out of date.

The Welsh national team have annoyed me for some time. Perhaps it’s to do with the fact that Bale is such a cretin, and Chris Coleman was an absolute fantasist, and Giggs is a w**k….I can’t quite place my finger on it.

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Their luck ran out. Nothing more, nothing less. 

They were certainly terrible for years and slithered their way through regardless, but Stephen Kenny has absolutely had the impact you'd expect. 

Just now, Kejan said:

And that's why Wales have qualified for tournaments. 

We'd have lost that game 2-1 down in Belarus.

They won't have Bale for much longer, watch their results and ranking change when he retires.

Scotland miss having a decent goalscorer, and looked to struggle getting numbers forward at times. Just have to be lucky picking up the odd gems to strengthen the main eleven. Could have been 2 or 3 nil, still have a chance. Wales have had their good run, don't see much coming through, once the older players retire.