World Cup qualifiers - Qatar 2022

51 minutes ago, Torpar said:

Canada manage two goals of their own and beat Haiti 3-0 on the night. They now enter the Octagon! 

Hopefully they can actually play some games in Canada soon

Hopefully, we are scheduled to have 2 "home" games in September 

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

Hopefully, we are scheduled to have 2 "home" games in September 

If they are allowing Vegas to fly in and out then I'm hopefully they can have football too, probably not in Ontario though, I doubt big Doug gives two shits about "Soccer". If no fans are allowed I'd like to see them play in Nunavut, might work to their advantage  

25 minutes ago, Torpar said:

If they are allowing Vegas to fly in and out then I'm hopefully they can have football too, probably not in Ontario though, I doubt big Doug gives two shits about "Soccer". If no fans are allowed I'd like to see them play in Nunavut, might work to their advantage  

We used to use our climate to our advantage with home games.  The critical game for our qualification in 1985 took place in St. Johns, Newfoundland in November.  St. Johns is windy and cold in July, let alone November.  We also used to play spring and fall games outdoors in Edmonton against warm countries, we need to do that again lol!  

I could definitely see games being played in Montreal by September

22 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

We used to use our climate to our advantage with home games.  The critical game for our qualification in 1985 took place in St. Johns, Newfoundland in November.  St. Johns is windy and cold in July, let alone November.  We also used to play spring and fall games outdoors in Edmonton against warm countries, we need to do that again lol!  

I could definitely see games being played in Montreal by September

The weather certainly seemed like an advantage for TFC when they made their Champions League run, game vs Mexico in late January is hopefully in Winnipeg or Regina

Edited by Torpar

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

Mexico playing two home qualifiers behind closed doors as punishment for homophobic chants.

I’m assuming this is in relation to the “puto!” thing their fans do every time the opposition keeper takes a goal kick?

That’s been going on for as long as I can remember watching Mexican football, both at club level and for national team games. Surprised it’s never been clamped down on before, as it’s been going for at least a decade (and probably longer than that).

6 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I’m assuming this is in relation to the “puto!” thing their fans do every time the opposition keeper takes a goal kick?

That’s been going on for as long as I can remember watching Mexican football, both at club level and for national team games. Surprised it’s never been clamped down on before, as it’s been going for at least a decade (and probably longer than that).

I watched a video of interviews with Mexican fans on the LA Times twitter account, the consensus was 'we used to do that and not think anything of it, now we know how offensive it is we should stop.' Maybe this will be enough to put an end to it. 

That’s been going on for as long as I can remember watching Mexican football, both at club level and for national team games.

It is indeed. Not just Mexican football, it's all over Latin America.

2nd round of AFC qualifying finished up the other week. Moving on as winners are:

Syria
Australia
Iran
Saudi Arabia
Japan
United Arab Emirates
South Korea

Moving forward as best runners up:

China
Oman
Iraq
Vietnam
Lebanon

Worth noting that the World Cup Qualifying does double duty as qualification for the AFC Cup so group E never sent forward a winner as that was won by Qatar. Also means teams had something to play for even if eliminated from WC contention. North Korea withdrew from qualification so results against  5th placed teams weren't factored into the 2rd place rankings. Tajikistan, Uzbekistan & Kuwait the three runners up that miss out.

Third round is two groups of six with top two from each qualifying for the World Cup with the 3rd placed teams playing each other in a playoff for the right to take part in the intercontinental playoff.

• 2 weeks later...

Draw for the 3rd round of AFC qualifiers made yesterday. 

Group A
Pos Team
A1 Iran
A2 South Korea
A3 United Arab Emirates
A4 Iraq
A5 Syria
A6 Lebanon

Group B
Pos Team
B1 Japan
B2 Australia
B3 Saudi Arabia
B4 China PR
B5 Oman
B6 Vietnam

The top two teams of each group will qualify for the 2022 FIFA World Cup, and the two third-placed teams will advance to the fourth round. In the fourth round, the two third-placed teams from the third round will compete in a single-match play-off in May or June 2022. The winner will advance to the intercontinental play-offs against a team from a confederation to be designated.

Edited by Eednud

I like how they've played an 8-group, 5-teams, 8-game groupstage...

... at the end of which nobody whatsoever has been eliminated from Asian Cup qualifying, and a dozen progress into a separate 2-group, 6-teams, 10-game groupstage for WC qualifying.

After that (having by now played 2x groupstages and 18x games) a pair of teams must hold a playoff for place in a playoff.

Asia is rivalling North America for convuluted and drawn-out qualifying these days.

Edited by HibeeJibee

9 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I like how they've played an 8-group, 5-teams, 8-game groupstage...

... at the end of which nobody whatsoever has been eliminated from Asian Cup qualifying, and a dozen progress into a separate 2-group, 6-teams, 10-game groupstage for WC qualifying.

After that (having by now played 2x groupstages and 18x games) a pair of teams must hold a playoff for place in a playoff.

Asia is rivalling North America for convuluted and drawn-out qualifying these days.

Australia ended up playing 22 games to qualify for the 2018 finals defeating Syria in one playoff and then Honduras in another. Made a mistake the draw is for the third, not second, round. The first round involved 6 ties over 2 legs.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Some of the stadiums for the tournament look really great.

Especially this one that looks like something I want to shag.

image.thumb.jpeg.b6dd8bfd53cab8801eb5a2fbc6b3e936.jpeg

That's the Al Wakrah stadium... 40k seater for a city of ~80k people i.e. similar to Paisley or East Kilbride.

Lusail (80k seater; city not yet built):

lusail2022.jpg

Al Khor (60k seater; population ~30k):

albayt_top.jpg

Al Rayyan:

alrayyan_top.jpg

Doha x 4:

khalifanew_top.jpg

althumama2022.jpg

rasabuaboud2022.jpg

qatarfoundation_top.jpg

• 3 weeks later...