World Cup qualifiers - Qatar 2022

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

Arguably Can had more of a minter than Werner with his unspeakably bad positioning for the first goal and the handball that should have been a penalty. I worry about Werner's career after that miss though, his confidence is low and he's been failing badly at Chelsea. The last thing he could afford to do was sclaff a miss that we'll be seeing on YouTube compilations for decades.

Hadn't appreciated Sterling dived for England's penalty too. He's almost down before the defender touches him.

Felt that this was so obvious that I didn't need to bring it up. He must have been rubbing his hands together when he heard VAR was not in operation here. 

14 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

John Stones is back to his usual form! 😂

He's been excellent all season in a defence that has conceded 21 goals. Excellent in Europe, too. 

Making one mistake isn't his 'usual form' at all anymore. 

15 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

But for COVID i suspect folk would have been out until dawn celebrating that one. Some result.

5AB8F443-1A94-4E54-BF26-9E59CBA10508.jpeg

After that official name change, they've gone from strength to strength. 

Also fair dues to Pandev. He's 37, 38 in the summer and has played at high level most of his career, he could have well have chucked the national team, but he didn't, and looking forward to their first appearance at a major tournament in the summer. 

Just Kosovo from the ex-Yugoslavian nations to compete at a finals!

Strange too as Macedonian football politics is meant to be a binfire, with coach Angelovski in constant dispute with the football federation.  Their rise has been astonishing in the last couple of years. Just under four years ago they were down in the 160s in the rankings- just above where Moldova are now. I think without Angelovski, Pandev would have retired long ago. It's a talented group- they beat Scotland at U-21 level and have players playing with good clubs in the top European leagues. Really is astoinishing given that domnestically the league is really poor and infrastructure barely functioning, in some cases- certainly below the First League level.

Been good to see Gary Lineker being humiliated on this issue on twitter after him complaining bitterly that San Marino are, well, allowed to take part. The Macedonians have been used as a great example of why he's totally wrong.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

Strange too as Macedonian football politics is meant to be a binfire, with coach Angelovski in constant dispute with the football federation.  Their rise has been astonishing in the last couple of years. Just under four years ago they were down in the 160s in the rankings- just above where Moldova are now. I think without Angelovski, Pandev would have retired long ago. It's a talented group- they beat Scotland at U-21 level and have players playing with good clubs in the top European leagues. Really is astoinishing given that domnestically the league is really poor and infrastructure barely functioning, in some cases- certainly below the First League level.
Been good to see Gary Lineker being humiliated on this issue on twitter after him complaining bitterly that San Marino are, well, allowed to take part. The Macedonians have been used as a great example of why he's totally wrong.
I went to the Macedonian cup final five years ago. In their home stadium for a cup final Rabotnicki only had about 200 fans.

There's plenty more I could say about that match and the Macedonian FA but I'd like to once again be thankful that I'm from a country where a huge amount of people actually want to go and watch a game of football, regardless of quality, price or weather.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

I went to the Macedonian cup final five years ago. In their home stadium for a cup final Rabotnicki only had about 200 fans.

There's plenty more I could say about that match and the Macedonian FA but I'd like to once again be thankful that I'm from a country where a huge amount of people actually want to go and watch a game of football, regardless of quality, price or weather.

Yeah. Most Macedonian First league games I have been to have had tiny crowds. Back in the day you used to get reasonable turn outs for Vardar-Rabotnicki, and certainly the so-called "Eternal Derby" between Vardar and Pelister. Both Vardar and Pelister are at a really low ebb presently. One or two clubs that no longer exist had big followings who just gave up when those clubs went to the wall.

Quality is absymal on the whole and the games seem to be played at half -throttle- I guess in 35 degrees in the shade you'd keel over quickly if you ran around helter skelter like in a lot of Scots league games.

Local interest is very poor. Macedonian pals always express astonishment when I actually go to a game. Most people seem happy watching the National Team and the big Champions League/EPL games on telly in a cafe or at home.

4 hours ago, mizfit said:

If anything I think the nations league will allow some of the lesser European nations to thrive and possibly improve in the next few years.

Well it certainly helped Scotland. 

• 1 month later...

Another couple of Dutch players from Surinamese descent committed their international futures to Suriname & are cleared by FIFA. Including Sheraldo Becker (Union Berlin) and Ridgeciano Haps (Feyenoord). Suriname are working hard on getting as many full-time professionals to commit as possible now before their important WC qualifier against Canada.

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/05/2021 at 01:02, Marten said:

Another couple of Dutch players from Surinamese descent committed their international futures to Suriname & are cleared by FIFA. Including Sheraldo Becker (Union Berlin) and Ridgeciano Haps (Feyenoord). Suriname are working hard on getting as many full-time professionals to commit as possible now before their important WC qualifier against Canada.

The game is today.

Suriname have both a Champions League player and mid-table Jamaican league player.

Should  be interesting.

The game is today.
Suriname have both a Champions League player and mid-table Jamaican league player.
Should  be interesting.
Canada won 4-0. I still saw them as favourites, although the scoreline is bigger than I expected. Then again, Suriname's players are not really used to playing together yet.

Guest TheJTS98

A hint of sadness last night in Malaysia finishing their World Cup effort with a win over Thailand. It was a dead rubber and neither side at full strength. Heavy feeling of what might have been.

Ultimately beating Thailand and Indonesia twice each is a decent effort, but it could have been so much better.

At the end of 2019 Malaysia had just had back-to-back home wins against Thailand and Indonesia, and were looking forward to what should have been an absolutely huge game at home to Vietnam in March 2020. Would have been about 80,000 at the match and a great chance of moving towards the final stage.

Ultimately, covid put paid to that and it never happened. Momentum and home advantage eventually lost, and Malaysia have quietly slipped out.

A real shame.

Edited by TheJTS98

10 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

David Marshall, you have been saved from having the title of 'biggest goalkeeping f**k-up of the week'. Poor Josue Duverger of Haiti, Jack Hamilton and Sam Ramsbottom would be cringing at that.

I watched this game and I legit feel bad for the Haiti goalie.  He had been having a pretty solid game up to that point but it was just a disaster.  We were the better team so a 3-0 was an accurate reflection of what happened on the pitch, but this game will be remembered for that unfortunate disaster for the 21 year old Montrealer in the Haitian goal