World Cup qualifiers - Qatar 2022

One thing that does annoy me about FIFA's rankings is that it gives the likes of Gibraltar, San Marino and Andorra a much lower ranking than they deserve. I'm sure that San Marino are not the Worst team in the World, they could probably beat the likes of Monserrat, Brunei and the Cayman Islands but because they're in UEFA the worst side they'll have to play (until recently) would be Cyprus or Kazakhstan.

Although, the move to the ten groups for UEFA Qualifiers and the Nations League does give them more opportunities to play the minnows in Europe, San Marino got 2 draws against Gibraltar and Liechtenstein recently in the NL, and will have two cracks at Andorra in their World Cup Group. 

47 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

One thing that does annoy me about FIFA's rankings is that it gives the likes of Gibraltar, San Marino and Andorra a much lower ranking than they deserve. I'm sure that San Marino are not the Worst team in the World, they could probably beat the likes of Monserrat, Brunei and the Cayman Islands but because they're in UEFA the worst side they'll have to play (until recently) would be Cyprus or Kazakhstan.

Although, the move to the ten groups for UEFA Qualifiers and the Nations League does give them more opportunities to play the minnows in Europe, San Marino got 2 draws against Gibraltar and Liechtenstein recently in the NL, and will have two cracks at Andorra in their World Cup Group. 

A wee tournament with the world's lowest-ranked countries would probably go down quite well with ironic hipsters the world over, I'd have thought. Stage it in the run-up to the big tournaments and you could have a winner on your hands, if marketed right.

2 minutes ago, Andre Drazen said:

Get the sense you've not come across Barry Ferguson's Hat before. 

Half the accounts on here are aliases so it's a job keeping up.

We all got a good laugh at Ireland's expense with the Luxembourg game, and now they've just drawn 1-1 with Qatar. 

11 games without a win for Stephen Kenny and if he doesn't win his next one he equals the worst ever managerial record of Ireland. 

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Couldn't believe that when I saw it.

Cur Faroe Islands beating Scotland tomorrow night.

I have a vague memory of Portugal being 1-0 down to either Luxembourg or Liechtenstein before, for quite a long stretch. They drop the odd clanger now and then, but recover to get the results they need in the big games. Going back a while, but I can also remember Portugal playing...Angola, I think?...and the game being abandoned due to ridiculous numbers of red cards. Bit of a colonial grudge match.

Turkey winning the minter of the night by dropping points at home to Latvia from 3-1 up. Latvia very much down with the diddies these days, although they did manage a solitary win against Austria last time out, who were also beaten by...Israel. Hmm.

Guest TheJTS98
6 hours ago, Michael W said:

We all got a good laugh at Ireland's expense with the Luxembourg game, and now they've just drawn 1-1 with Qatar. 

11 games without a win for Stephen Kenny and if he doesn't win his next one he equals the worst ever managerial record of Ireland. 

Qatar are champions of Asia. It's not some disgrace.

A 1-1 draw with Japan wouldn't be seen as a terrible result.

Edited by TheJTS98

9 hours ago, Michael W said:

I am sure he is a likeable guy. Comes across as one. But also as one of the most boring men in the world. I would fall asleep listening to his team talk. At the time I thought it was a poor appointment. 

Not that I care much about the ROI but I am sure they will be looking for a new Manager at some point this year. 

Guest TheJTS98
1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

If course it’s a disgrace.  Plus Japan are shit these days as well.

Not sure how you get to that.

A medium-rank European side drawing with the champions of Asia wouldn't normally be considered outrageous.

It's like the Luxembourg result. People are allowing the historical stature of the side to cloud their view of today's reality.

8 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Not sure how you get to that.

A medium-rank European side drawing with the champions of Asia wouldn't normally be considered outrageous.

It's like the Luxembourg result. People are allowing the historical stature of the side to cloud their view of today's reality.

Routine victories against the powerhouses of Lebanon, Yemen and Oman doesn't make you any good. 

Ive seen Qatar playing live (2019 I think) and they were quite possibly at the same level as Hibs or an on form Kilmarnock.