Raith v Morton

6 minutes ago, Paco said:

It’s a hard one isn’t it? Don’t want to pick on the guy, he clearly has reasonable footballing ability but is very keen to play the obvious pass at all times. There’s a place for someone who’s effective at keeping possession, but I’m not sure he actually is. He almost plays with deference to the rest of the team and plays it to whoever is nearest.

We have better options, I think we can say that safely and leave it at that. Don’t see him playing too many more games now the worst of the fixture congestion is coming to an end.

He is such a cookie cutter midfielder. Convinced that he looks at a given situation and in his head he's "that's a 22, I'll stand here" or "this is a 6, pass the ball inside to the CB" I dunno, I think I could tell you, if you pixilated the other mids, who was who by the pass they chose or the run they made. All of them express themselves as individuals. King is properly machine like.

I think McGlynn was thinking horses for courses today, being fooled into a cautious approach by Morton's recent run of impressive results. After the first half when he saw how ineffective they were he changed things to something more realistic.

McGlynn needs to stop trying being something he’s not (clever!!) and keeping certain players for games in the future. Play your best team for the most important game - the current one.

Are you saying we should play the same XI every week?

McGlynn needs to stop trying being something he’s not (clever!!) and keeping certain players for games in the future. Play your best team for the most important game - the current one. That starting midfield was a joke, so weak, no ability or desire to press the Morton players, so they had time to do what they wanted. Matthews came on, won more tackles / challenges in 10 mins than the rest had done combined in the previous 70 mins. He pressed Morton players into rushed decisions, getting us the ball back quicker to be more attacking & surprise surprise we created more chances & put their defence under pressure. Every team needs a balance, and you could see Hendry & Tait visibly lifted when they knew someone was going to do the unsung hard work for them, so they could then do what they are very good at - simples!!!!
We won today's game and the likes of Kennedy have had a good rest the past week ahead of a Derby game. Matthews coming on certainly helped but he was coming on and pressing against already tiring legs. It was clearly a tactical change by mcglynn and it clearly worked. Have a pop at him when his tactics don't win us games...

I said before the game if we won with that lineup it would be a tactical masterstroke. However we seemed to win in spite of it. King was terrible, in the first half our front line was pretty terrible.

Hopefully it pays off and we can push for a result on Tuesday. Tho if King starts not so much.

3 points and some us are moaning, FFS get a grip folks, we are in the Championship, a league above where we were playing for the last 3 seasons, we are 2nd in the league and looking good for a promotion play off spot, other teams have sussed out what we did in the 1st 3rd of the season and are playing against what were our strenghts. It ain't a pretty league and it wasn't a pretty win but a MASSIVE 3 points. COYR, I'll take another ugly 3 points on Tuesday please

I said before the game if we won with that lineup it would be a tactical masterstroke. However we seemed to win in spite of it. King was terrible, in the first half our front line was pretty terrible.

Hopefully it pays off and we can push for a result on Tuesday. Tho if King starts not so much.

A win is a win I guess and the Gaffer gets credit for getting the 3 points. Tough game on Tuesday so I guess we’ll see if he’s rested players today for that one. It’s bizarre how we’ve gone from scoring but conceding to not conceding but not scoring. The pack is right behind us and everything is so tight I’m glad we’re second. Not going to lie I’ll be disappointed if we finish outside the top 4 but not gutted as I’d have taken 8th this season. Anything above that is a bonus, I’d love to be in the promotion playoffs but I’ll not lose sleep if we miss out. Overall JMc and the lads have had a fantastic season.

47 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

I think McGlynn was thinking horses for courses today, being fooled into a cautious approach by Morton's recent run of impressive results. After the first half when he saw how ineffective they were he changed things to something more realistic.

Yes sums us up. A bit toothless up front and allegedly we have the most valuable championship player in Sterling at £1.8 M

Didn't understand why he didn't start but then again I am not taking training. 

Had felt we fell too deep in second half but as you say change in tatics from McGlynn. Though a lucky in off finish could have went anywhere.

So a tough final five games but it Alloa can't  beat Arbroath next Satutday they are dead.

I’m going to be potentially controversial and say if we were at that game, we’d all have come away pretty happy.

Low on quality sure, and no hiding the first half was awful, but we pretty much attacked the South Stand for a full 45 minutes and finally broke through with ten minutes to go. Plenty to get excited about if we were sitting behind the goal.

2 minutes ago, Paco said:

I’m going to be potentially controversial and say if we were at that game, we’d all have come away pretty happy.

Low on quality sure, and no hiding the first half was awful, but we pretty much attacked the South Stand for a full 45 minutes and finally broke through with ten minutes to go. Plenty to get excited about if we were sitting behind the goal.

And no doubt the home roar would have lifted the players

I’ve thought about this quite a lot. It’s a lot easier to be critical when you’ve not had that rush and release of when the ball hits the net with 10 to go in front of the south stand.

27 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I’ve thought about this quite a lot. It’s a lot easier to be critical when you’ve not had that rush and release of when the ball hits the net with 10 to go in front of the south stand.

Agreed. You can almost sense what it would have been like in the South Stand today. Derisory shouts of frustration followed by a euphoric celebration. f**k I miss that 😢

2 hours ago, keyser_soze said:

3 points and some us are moaning, FFS get a grip folks, we are in the Championship, a league above where we were playing for the last 3 seasons, we are 2nd in the league and looking good for a promotion play off spot, other teams have sussed out what we did in the 1st 3rd of the season and are playing against what were our strenghts. It ain't a pretty league and it wasn't a pretty win but a MASSIVE 3 points. COYR, I'll take another ugly 3 points on Tuesday please

This is the most sense I've seen from Raith fans this evening. Raith are not a side that should be second in the championship for goodness sake, just appreciate that you're there and enjoy it. 

3 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Yes we should, it's results that got us there.

At the start of the season did we expect to be there? No,

Results got you there, but Raith are not a club that can expect to be above Dunfermline, Dundee or Inverness.