Raith v Morton

4 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

How would you know, I posted before full time. Besides, your posts are't exactly ecstatically enthusiastic either.

I’m happy with the win, second place and can’t wait for Tuesday. You remind me of the old guys who sat in the Railway Stand before it closed and seemed to derive more pleasure in defeat as it gave them something to moan about.  Just enjoy the ride. It’s Rovers, it’s never going to be sunshine all the time. We won. Enjoy it

Edited by roverthemoon

1 minute ago, roverthemoon said:

I’m happy with the win, second place and can’t wait for Tuesday. You remind me of the old guys who sat in the Railway Stand before it closed and seemed to derive more pleasure in defeat as it gave them something to moan about.  Just enjoy the ride. It’s Rovers, it’s never going to be sunshine all the time. We won. Enjoy it

Like nearly everyone else I enjoyed the win but endured torture in the first half and some limited relief in the second until we scored. I hope that puts your mind at ease now.

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

Hopefully MacPherson has seen enough of Orsi now and sends him to Dumbarton so we don't have to watch him again. While it had been coming anyway, the point he came on was the point it turned from Raith dominance to Raith onslaught, because he cannot trap a ball to save himself. When you're sitting in and your only outball is a centre forward with his back to goal, you're effectively giving the opposition an extra centre half by pputting making Orsi that centre forward.

That is all true... but we also lost the focus we’ve had in the past couple of games on keeping it and resorted to just knocking it long to Orsi far too often.

If it’s going long, it should be long and in behind, so they have to play their way back from deep. We (including Orsi) just tip it up far too easy in central areas.

3 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

Like nearly everyone else I enjoyed the win but endured torture in the first half and some limited relief in the second until we scored. I hope that puts your mind at ease now.

Glad there’s a bit of joy there. Enjoy your night 

25 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

It's just about grinding out results for now. 11 points ahead of Arbroath with a game in hand so you'd have to imagine with 7 games left we've almost secured our place. Not pretty, not fun to watch but the two up top looked a lot better than our drab performances with a lone striker. All we need is Ross Matthews back in the middle permanently instead of Adam King and we'll be fine.

I think we've played Morton three times and I can't recall a single opportunity they've had to score. They'll obviously be looking for a degree of stability given the lunacy in their boardroom but you'd have to imagine that's frustrating for their fans. 

6 games left, pretty certain we’re clear of relegation concerns now. Alloa can get to 33, but would need a +31 GD swing to catch us...Arbroath can get to 37 and would need +18 GD swing.

1 hour ago, renton said:

Matter of time to Morton score...

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Geological time? We don't really do goals from chances or indeed games too often. 

Yup. 

Not a disaster of a result by any means - one game fewer to play and decent results elsewhere at the bottom - although any prospect of being in the top half of the division is finished. And rightly so, given the nick of this squad and the club behind the scenes all year.

Another scrappy win or two to get us over the line, before emptying every single one of our seaside league level attackers is what's needed so that this useless campaign can be written off for good. 

Think a bit of reality here ! It wasn’t a great game but we got the 3 points that all it matters and staying up which would be our number one priority yet we are still 2nd top  , teams aren’t going to roll over in fact Morton were going well look at there last run of results beating the Pars twice , QOTS , Inverness , drawing with the jumbos at tynecastle

Overriding feeling is one of relief. We went into this game with it looking like a must win and by the end we simply had to win given the ICT and QoS scores. Job done in that respect. 

That first half, though, was horrific. A terrible event that will get football stopped if repeated too often. 

Second half we were better. Dominated the play but again we're looking a bit lost for ideas up front. McGlynn had to try something different given our struggles up front but I don't think it really worked. Subs made the difference, though. 

We got what we needed out this game. 

Edited by Michael W

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

Yup. 

Not a disaster of a result by any means - one game fewer to play and decent results elsewhere at the bottom - although any prospect of being in the top half of the division is finished. And rightly so, given the nick of this squad and the club behind the scenes all year.

Another scrappy win or two to get us over the line, before emptying every single one of our seaside league level attackers is what's needed so that this useless campaign can be written off for good. 

Whatever forward momentum you had seemed to die off with the Orsi substitution. I still think Aiden Nisbit would be a decent player for any team in this division. 

McPherson has made your side a hell of a lot more organised at the very least. We look better than average middle to back, but we cannot seem to find a forward line that works. I feel like Vaughan and Gullan are, quality wise, the best bet we have but neither is particularly match fit still. 

On a more general note, I have no clue as to what McGlynn sees in Adam King.

WE need to jig that forward line if we're to beat the Massive Club from along the road. It's hard to see what McGlynn can do, maybe Vauhan and Gullan as has been seuggested. If Dunfermline don't get a decent result at Dens tonight they'll be under severe pressure on Tuesday after our win today.

21 minutes ago, basher brash said:

Think a bit of reality here ! It wasn’t a great game but we got the 3 points that all it matters and staying up which would be our number one priority yet we are still 2nd top  , teams aren’t going to roll over in fact Morton were going well look at there last run of results beating the Pars twice , QOTS , Inverness , drawing with the jumbos at tynecastle

This. 

19 minutes ago, renton said:

Whatever forward momentum you had seemed to die off with the Orsi substitution. I still think Aiden Nisbit would be a decent player for any team in this division. 

Nesbitt has had too many chances now at this club and has failed to do anything since returning two years ago. He might do an okay job elsewhere at this level but his time has to be up here. The gulf between Nicky Cadden's contribution last season and this rotating cast of garbage sand-dancers routinely failing to deliver a telling final ball is pathetic. 

The forward options are chronic and that's been our obvious problem since the summer. It's a wonder that we're relatively comfortable in 8th tbh. 

Edited by vikingTON

McGlynn needs to stop trying being something he’s not (clever!!) and keeping certain players for games in the future. Play your best team for the most important game - the current one. That starting midfield was a joke, so weak, no ability or desire to press the Morton players, so they had time to do what they wanted. Matthews came on, won more tackles / challenges in 10 mins than the rest had done combined in the previous 70 mins. He pressed Morton players into rushed decisions, getting us the ball back quicker to be more attacking & surprise surprise we created more chances & put their defence under pressure. Every team needs a balance, and you could see Hendry & Tait visibly lifted when they knew someone was going to do the unsung hard work for them, so they could then do what they are very good at - simples!!!!

It’s a hard one isn’t it? Don’t want to pick on the guy, he clearly has reasonable footballing ability but is very keen to play the obvious pass at all times. There’s a place for someone who’s effective at keeping possession, but I’m not sure he actually is. He almost plays with deference to the rest of the team and plays it to whoever is nearest.

We have better options, I think we can say that safely and leave it at that. Don’t see him playing too many more games now the worst of the fixture congestion is coming to an end.

McPherson has made your side a hell of a lot more organised at the very least. We look better than average middle to back, but we cannot seem to find a forward line that works. I feel like Vaughan and Gullan are, quality wise, the best bet we have but neither is particularly match fit still. 

Can only be a bung in a brown envelope, there is no other reason.