Raith v Morton

3 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Feels like another season defining game or maybe they just all are at the moment. Would be lovely to get the win, especially with Dundee and the Pars playing each other.  Hopefully last night boosted the confidence a bit. 

I think it's realistic to say that we need to win this if we are going to sustain our challenge for the top 4. 

14 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Oh, there's every need.

Morton fans didn't much like him, but we clearly liked him more than Hopkin.

But watching him go all Billy Big Baws in the last 20 minutes at Cappielow was a bridge too far.

Get him leathered.

He was giving it the Boss Man strut and bullying our rather dispirited players down the right (we had never seen anything even vaguely physical from the wee tosser).

Would understand some of our younger players getting pushed around by mad-dog Davidson or Benedictus... but if you’re getting bullied by Reghan fuckin Tumilty, maybe this professional football lark isn’t going to work out...

I actually liked Tumilty going forward, but thought his defending was rotten (positional and decisions). Be interesting to see if McPherson sticks with 3-5-2, which can be vulnerable to teams playing two wide with full-backs getting forward.

But then he’s already shown a bit of invention and flexibility in how we set up, so maybe he’ll surprise us.

We’ll take a point, btw.

Oh, and did I say I’d like to see Tumilty leathered? (Or megged by... wait for it... Sean McGinty, as hilariously happened to Dunfermline’s RB on Tuesday night).

(That was supposed to be a reply to Ebanda btw.)

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

9 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I think it's realistic to say that we need to win this if we are going to sustain our challenge for the top 4. 

Clocks don’t go forward until Sunday, but we do need a win.

Couldn't recall Tumilty being a shitebag but the final ten minutes of that game I was proud as I've ever been for our ability to shithouse out a win. Morton's momentum got completely taken away from them because we started chucking in heavy tackles and the referee had let the game flow until that point.

I'd be surprised if we won this. Our league form has been poor and Morton have taken some confidence. I'm more annoyed by the fact they've had one fit keeper on their books all season and haven't had a single issue with him getting injured. Would never happen for us.

I thought Tumilty was good going forward but a liability at the back but our upturn in form last year did coincide with him coming back from Dumbarton. It wasn't that he was that good a player but just that we had something approaching balance in the team rather than putting centrebacks or midfielders at right back. I was disappointed he left and would rather have kept him.

He does appear to be an arse mind you. But so do most footballers.

Raith really impressed in that 1st game, could have more than 5. In the recent game at Cappielow, i wasn't that impressed,, you scored early and saw out the game comfortably but guess i expected the Raith team from the 1st game to show up and put a few more past us. It was a game of little chances and i doubt many would have argued if it was a draw.

Doesnt look like you are in great form either and the goals have dried up so expecting a much tighter affair this time around.

Our players will have a bit of confidence from beating ICT, Queens and Dunfermline so hoping we give it a right good go. Gus seems to have made an instant impact.

1 hour ago, madton said:

It was a game of little chances and i doubt many would have argued if it was a draw.

The rest of your post is fair enough but I disagree on the game at Cappielow. It wasn’t a vintage performance by any stretch but it was a very comfortable and deserved win for us. I’d go as far to say I am struggling to remember a more comfortable 1-0 win for us in recent times.

We scored early so didn’t have to throw everything at getting another although we still had a some decent chances. Morton literally didn’t even have a shot on target. A 1-0 was a much fairer reflection of the game that a draw would have been.

Aye, the game at Cappielow was probably the easiest 1-0 win you will see.  We weren't great, but did enough to win the game.

Will be a tighter match this time around, I'm sure.  Morton are in decent form.

For as much as we have struggled to score, we have tightened up.  4 goals conceded in 8 games following the horror show at Dunfermline.  

We have a very poor record in Kirkcaldy anyway so any kind of points would be good. Think the earlier doing we got there was a perfect storm. Decent team having a great day, poor team having an awful day, the early red card and us having a poorer manager in charge. We're still not that good but hopefully much better going into this one.

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

The rest of your post is fair enough but I disagree on the game at Cappielow. It wasn’t a vintage performance by any stretch but it was a very comfortable and deserved win for us. I’d go as far to say I am struggling to remember a more comfortable 1-0 win for us in recent times.

We scored early so didn’t have to throw everything at getting another although we still had a some decent chances. Morton literally didn’t even have a shot on target. A 1-0 was a much fairer reflection of the game that a draw would have been.

You ran out comfortable winners, I said as much,  I  just don't think there was much in it at all and on another day could have been a bore 0-0 draw for me. It was a game of very limited chances from memory. Our keeper wasn't really troubled either i don't think.

Not taking away the fact that we were poor right enough and never troubled you at all,  you got the goal early and did enough.

If we can do the same on Sat, I'll happily take it.

A win would be a huge result in terms of giving us a comfortable gap to 9th and even an outside chance at the play-offs as well. Which would of course be the most ridiculous side to get in a promotion playoff since Brechin's rabble papped Raith down into the seaside leagues a few years ago.

1-1

Edited by vikingTON

19 minutes ago, virginton said:

A win would be a huge result in terms of giving us a comfortable gap to 9th and even an outside chance at the play-offs as well. Which would of course be the most ridiculous side to get in a promotion playoff since Brechin's rabble papped Raith down into the seaside leagues a few years ago.

1-1

That still rankles.

Interested to see how MacPherson sets us up today. Now we have Jacobs fit again and away to a better team who've beaten us easily twice I reckon he'll go with both Jacobs and McGinn to give us a more solid midfield, but if he sticks with the two up front which got much better performances out of Oliver and Orsi v Queen of the South then that leaves only one place behind the front two to accommodate Colville, Lyon, Nesbitt and McGuffie.

While our centre forward options are all more suited to having someone else up with them, I wonder if he might drop one in favour of a Scotland style 3-5-1-1 - McGinn and Jacobs sitting, one of Colville/Lyon in front, one of Nesbitt/McGuffie behind Oliver. I'm assuming the 3-4-2-1 from Tuesday night was more about giving players game time and it didn't work as well.

It's both odd and a credit to the difference MacPherson has made in a couple of weeks to actually have a positive selection dilemma in midfield after watching Omar and Blues stink the place out under Hopkin and McElhone.

McAdams

Ledger - McLean - McGinty

Hynes - Jacobs - McGinn - Lyon - Strapp

Nesbitt

Oliver

Above is how I'd line up today. A little more conservative than we've been in the last couple of games, but should give us a solid platform, particularly in the middle of the park. Plumped for Lyon over Colville too add a bit of energy to the middle of the park, as you wouldn't expect too much attacking from McGinn or Jacobs.