Pie and Bovril home improvements

17 hours ago, Peter Grant said:

When condensing combi boilers came along, many plumbers must have had no idea why they had to run a bit of plastic pipe out the boiler. Seen so much damage from these pipes simply stopping over folks’s ceilings, under kitchen units etc and eventually flooding the place. 

A poster on here (Hiya @Addie) asked me to service his boiler a few years ago for his upcoming house sale, was quite aghast to see someone had just shoved a bit of pipe onto the condensate connection under the boiler and popped it into the cavity wall, connected to nothing? just an open end 😱

If the condensate trap runs dry that essentially becomes a flue and the flue gases seep through the open end, difficult to describe how fucking dangerous that is to leave a condensate pipe with an open end inside a property, needles to say I had to rectify and connect it to the sink waste pipe if memory serves me correctly. 

Just now, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I'm surprised that in the years condensing boilers (domestic & commercial) that the industry hasn't come up with a pre-insulated condensate waste system.

Some Worcester boilers, the larger floor standing ones have a built in condensate pump in them.

1 minute ago, Flybhoy said:

Some Worcester boilers, the larger floor standing ones have a built in condensate pump in them.

What I was alluding to  was the external pipework, the ones that the guy takes a hole saw to the nearest rainwater pipe and lo and behold it freezes in winter, ergo no heat/dhw in the house.

95% of condensate pipework will terminate internally, even in awkward scenarios the aforementioned condensate pumps come in handy. 

On the odd occasion it goes outside if you run it in 1.5 or 1.25 inch plastic it doesn't usually freeze believe it or not, only if run in the standard 22mm condensate pipe will that happen, even at that a bit of thick climaflex insulation does the trick. 

More common fault rather than freezing external condensates is when they are connected into a sink waste and you fucking nuggets pouring chip fat, grease, rice etc down the sink drain and blocking it up, an issue I literally had at a student flat in Stirling a few days ago, tenant got billed for it and wasn't happy, don't be a fucking idiot then.

2 hours ago, philpy said:

A neighbour two doors up has started a pet boarding  business , and is taking down his shed to build kennels, but is seemingly not applying for planning permission 

If it’s a business enterprise it’ll need PP. Get them philpy’d.

Oh……

1 minute ago, alta-pete said:

If it’s a business enterprise it’ll need PP. Get them philpy’d.

Oh……

^^^This, anonymously. Could be a nightmare if they yap all night, and you don't want him setting them on you if he finds out.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

^^^This, anonymously. Could be a nightmare if they yap all night, and you don't want him setting them on you if he finds out.

There's a good few of the other neighbours objecting to it, ourselves included. Thing is, he's a police employee , albeit a call handler, but you'd still think he would go by things the right way....

28 minutes ago, philpy said:

There's a good few of the other neighbours objecting to it, ourselves included. Thing is, he's a police employee , albeit a call handler, but you'd still think he would go by things the right way....

Just don't go sliding off the motorway into a field when he's on duty...

29 minutes ago, philpy said:

@pccabe

A lot of new developments have it in the title deeds that you can't use the property as business premises although I don't understand how that works for someone using their house as a home office. I assume it's intended to stop people using their property as something like a builder's yard or, in this case, kennels which are out of place in a residential setting.

10 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

A lot of new developments have it in the title deeds that you can't use the property as business premises although I don't understand how that works for someone using their house as a home office. I assume it's intended to stop people using their property as something like a builder's yard or, in this case, kennels which are out of place in a residential setting.

I think its more from a noise pollution side of things than working from home (think office job rather than opening up a car garage for example)  That's why in town and county planning they have industrial in one area, commercial another and houses in a different area.  Light commercial and houses can overlap (historic high streets with flats above) but they tend to keep things away from the noisey places of work!

• 1 month later...
On 23/10/2021 at 00:10, Flybhoy said:

A poster on here (Hiya @Addie) asked me to service his boiler a few years ago for his upcoming house sale, was quite aghast to see someone had just shoved a bit of pipe onto the condensate connection under the boiler and popped it into the cavity wall, connected to nothing? just an open end 😱

If the condensate trap runs dry that essentially becomes a flue and the flue gases seep through the open end, difficult to describe how fucking dangerous that is to leave a condensate pipe with an open end inside a property, needles to say I had to rectify and connect it to the sink waste pipe if memory serves me correctly. 

Shut is magee.  

I'm needing a complete overhaul of the decor. Flooring, doors, frames and skirting as well painting and papering.

Would one of the bigger decorating companies do the whole lot or do I need to employ separate joiners, Flooring contractors and decorators?

Any recommendations in the Tay Cities Region?