Pie and Bovril home improvements

3 hours ago, Peter Grant said:

A bespoke headboard/wall thing created for a client with the help of my hairy little joiner friend (pictured):

6F62ED26-36DB-4F82-B705-C504BBD9B962.jpeg

I do like that. I think panelling is making a comeback. I’m planning to do some in my soon to be mancave. Probably just half height.

32 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Quite like that. 

12 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

I do like that. I think panelling is making a comeback. I’m planning to do some in my soon to be mancave. Probably just half height.

It’s just mdf strips stuck to the wall. Primed then painted with an acrylic eggshell (wall above is same colour but a regular vinyl matt) it gives the illusion of it being a solid panel.

11 minutes ago, Peter Grant said:

It’s just mdf strips stuck to the wall. Primed then painted with an acrylic eggshell (wall above is same colour but a regular vinyl matt) it gives the illusion of it being a solid panel.

It’s excellent. I think a lot of people would want that.

This is a good thread to find. I’m always doing some kind of home improvement in big or small ways, but often get experts in to do stuff I can’t do myself. 

built my own house 5 years ago and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done. Always doing wee bits inside and outside and it’s satisfying to improve something. Next project is a big double garage with a good sized room above it as my office/refuge. Plans in at the moment, hopefully build it in the spring. Air Source Heat Pump, solar panels etc.

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/06/2021 at 16:51, Shandon Par said:

A bespoke headboard/wall thing created for a client with the help of my hairy little joiner friend (pictured):

6F62ED26-36DB-4F82-B705-C504BBD9B962.jpeg

Don't know why I've only seen this now that looks excellent.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

The PFA run courses, turn yourself into an ex-footballer and get in there.

Perfect! Dunfermline have had enough jobbers for me to easily blend in.

Anyone ever done their own plastering? Looks easy but no doubt is a b*****d to get right.

I had a go at it, doing up the girlfriends mums living room & had artex on the walls, used a stripping chemical which was shite & resulted in plasterboard that looked like some had taken an axe to it!
Did the plastering - even bought all the floats etc & it was hard as f**k to do, spent about a week sanding to get the walls flat.
I should have just replaced all the plasterboard in hindsight.
I did have to install some new plasterboard after some plumbing work had been done & did the Ames taping & finish myself, which was a piece of piss.
Advice- get a plasterer in if it’s a large area needs done.

• 3 weeks later...

Obviously I’m biased but painting a floor is such a cheap and easy way to smarten a place. This floor had been sanded before but was too worn out to do again so it would have meant underlay or ply the carpet or machined floor. For about 45m sq that wouldn’t be cheap. 

Or get a tin of Armstead floor paint made up in whatever colour you want, a brush and a wee roller and DIY..

3D81626C-55F7-4488-920E-3D4E1A1968F0.jpeg

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, 101 said:

Anyone know a decent electrician that covers the Dunfermline area, got a few jobs needing done and the 2 previous folk have patched me.

Cheers

Don't get @Peter Grant in, you'll end up with a house looking like the one in Ayr!