Pie and Bovril home improvements

Seeing as we have a hospital I think it's time we got a lot of rank amateurs to fill it's berths by trying DIY out of their depth.

Anyone;

Burnt their house down from some dodgy electrical work?

Flooded their gaff by drilling into a pipe?

Done tiling that resembles the bathroom of a earthquake hit city?

Easy one to start how do you fix an internal door that won't stay closed, tried everything replacing the handles, oiling the internal closing thing, making sure it's lined up with the frame and it still springs open.

4 minutes ago, 101 said:

Easy one to start how do you fix an internal door that won't stay closed, tried everything replacing the handles, oiling the internal closing thing, making sure it's lined up with the frame and it still springs open.

Get the wife to lie down as a draught excluder.

32 minutes ago, 101 said:

Seeing as we have a hospital I think it's time we got a lot of rank amateurs to fill it's berths by trying DIY out of their depth.

Anyone;

Burnt their house down from some dodgy electrical work?

Flooded their gaff by drilling into a pipe?

Done tiling that resembles the bathroom of a earthquake hit city?

Probably best if we don't mention Crispy Dogs or using donations to go on a cruise...

3 hours ago, mathematics said:

Is there anyone in the Glasgow area available to come fix my cistern?

At start of lock down I decided to attend to all the stupid jobs I'd not got round to. That included a cistern that kept draining into the bowl even when not flushed.  A couple of YouTube searches and I discovered it was a dead easy common problem to fix using a £4  washer seal from Amazon.

Definitely look at that first rather than plumber call out charge. 

Let's see, in the last couple of years I've;

Papered the hall, stairs and landing
Redecorated the living room, including papering the ceiling
Papered the kitchen, replaced the sink and worktops.
Papered the toilet.

I still hate plumbing though.

5 hours ago, 101 said:

Surely just need to make sure the latch goes fully into the wee slot on the door frame that it sits in when the door is closed? I've got a door that was doing this, just needed to adjust the metal plate on the door frame where the latch sits so it went in fully and it was fine after that. Depends on what type of door and latch etc you've got though I guess.

13 minutes ago, EH75 said:

Surely just need to make sure the latch goes fully into the wee slot on the door frame that it sits in when the door is closed? I've got a door that was doing this, just needed to adjust the metal plate on the door frame where the latch sits so it went in fully and it was fine after that. Depends on what type of door and latch etc you've got though I guess.

Aye looks like it's going in fully as far as I can tell, will keep trying before deciding beads is what I want better my room and the landing.

3 hours ago, PWL said:

At start of lock down I decided to attend to all the stupid jobs I'd not got round to. That included a cistern that kept draining into the bowl even when not flushed.  A couple of YouTube searches and I discovered it was a dead easy common problem to fix using a £4  washer seal from Amazon.

I’d honestly rather pay someone to fix it.

4 hours ago, PWL said:

I had a similar thought process, although I decided to do fùck all, except watch the telly

I've just acquired an 10 x 7 shed and a set of sliding doors (good old gumtree) that will basically take up the full front length. Any engineers or DIY experts out there that can give me the best solution to put together so it won't fall down in the first gust. The idea was to fix it all to decking that had my sons play hut was on but now thinking the wooden frame just won't be enough to hold it all together.