Dumbarton v Aberdeen, 3/4/21 - 12.15pm

8 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I think that's a bit harsh. You missed two really good chances.

What's harsh about my summary? I thought we played well, but unfortunately we have been absolutely horrendous in the league and Duffy should be out on his arse. I knew today would pan out the way it did thus making it look like he's doing a good job when he isn't.

Ethan Ross is a good wee player. Ross, Ramsay, and Mackenzie (if he's fit?) should play every game for the rest of the season. 
We had Ethan on loan at Raith for a while and he was very popular. Fast, direct, skilful and a hard worker. Disappointed he was recalled early by McInnes. A bright prospect if managed properly.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

What's harsh about my summary? I thought we played well, but unfortunately we have been absolutely horrendous in the league and Duffy should be out on his arse. I knew today would pan out the way it did thus making it look like he's doing a good job when he isn't.

I absolutely cannot fault the effort from us today, but I was genuinely shocked at how mediocre Aberdeen were and my fears over a fresh full-time Premier outfit overrunning tired part-timers never materialised.  The game confirmed that we are reasonably resilient defensively when we allow teams to play in front of us but we have very little further forward; it was a game we weren't expected to score in and we didn't.  Having said that we did at least create two more chances than normal.

The performance and the manner of the defeat has probably secured Jim Duffy's position for the remainder of the season.

I’ve seen today’s game so many times in my many years. Top flight team taking on a lower league side in poor form away from home. It’s either a hammering or a really tight match score wise. Lower league side are extremely well organised at the back and hold out until near the end. 

37 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I absolutely cannot fault the effort from us today, but I was genuinely shocked at how mediocre Aberdeen were and my fears over a fresh full-time Premier outfit overrunning tired part-timers never materialised.  The game confirmed that we are reasonably resilient defensively when we allow teams to play in front of us but we have very little further forward; it was a game we weren't expected to score in and we didn't.  Having said that we did at least create two more chances than normal.

The performance and the manner of the defeat has probably secured Jim Duffy's position for the remainder of the season.

I'd agree with all of this. We created a few more chances today than we did against Peterhead, Forfar Athletic and Airdrieonians combined. It still wasn't a load though...but it was encouraging. Our defensive performance was typically good - and big ups to Sam Ramsbottom who was superb once again. 

Aberdeen were woeful. I was expecting them to be keen to put on a show for their new manager watching from his hotel room. But Jesus Christ. They were poor last year at Pittodrie - but that was a far better showing than this afternoon. Glass and Brown will have a few backsides to boot I reckon.

Ferguson totally fell out of that game in the second half.

This has been the pattern in this recent run.

We can often be okay in the first half football wise, but fail to convert the chances.

Invariably in the second half, we just fall out of the game completely.
Touches get heavier, players start hiding.....

I really thought some of our players, the experienced ones and some of the younger ones, would have a bit more bottle and resilience about them - but they seem to collectively turn into nervous kittens.

I don’t think there’s much hope of us getting much further in this tournament or picking up a lot in the remaining league games. Major overhaul required of this squad.

I'm beginning to think we should stop trying to out football our opponents in the league and should instead stick to counter attacking football. Obviously we wouldn't be nice to watch but in the last week we have twice, reasonably successfully, frustrated opponents who are better than us and in those 2 games we created many more chances than we did in the games we were expected to be more comfortable in.

We would still struggle with the group we have but given the little chances we created vs Forfar, Peterhead and Airdrie it can't be any worse.

Let's play to our strengths by frustrating opponents and if we can cut out the odd lapse in concentration we may have a chance of catching teams on the break.

I'm beginning to think we should stop trying to out football our opponents in the league and should instead stick to counter attacking football. Obviously we wouldn't be nice to watch but in the last week we have twice, reasonably successfully, frustrated opponents who are better than us and in those 2 games we created many more chances than we did in the games we were expected to be more comfortable in.
We would still struggle with the group we have but given the little chances we created vs Forfar, Peterhead and Airdrie it can't be any worse.
Let's play to our strengths by frustrating opponents and if we can cut out the odd lapse in concentration we may have a chance of catching teams on the break.

Surely joking? When on earth have we ever tried to “out-football” a team this season? Only game I can think of is Huntly and that actually went quite well.

12 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Surely joking? When on earth have we ever tried to “out-football” a team this season? Only game I can think of is Huntly and that actually went quite well.

Well we certainly didn't approach the match with Airdrie like we did the Falkirk game. I think it is clear to see our strengths and what we can and cannot do. No joke, believe it or not.

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 hours ago, tarapoa said:

This has been the pattern in this recent run.

We can often be okay in the first half football wise, but fail to convert the chances.

Invariably in the second half, we just fall out of the game completely.
Touches get heavier, players start hiding.....

I really thought some of our players, the experienced ones and some of the younger ones, would have a bit more bottle and resilience about them - but they seem to collectively turn into nervous kittens.

I don’t think there’s much hope of us getting much further in this tournament or picking up a lot in the remaining league games. Major overhaul required of this squad.

Every single club since football began has gone through times like this. We are utterly bereft of confidence, and it shows through every aspect of our play. 

Lack of confidence means that players sink into themselves, and their belief in their own personal abilities disappears. It becomes easier to pass the ball sideways or backwards rather than back yourself to create something.  

26 attempts on goal suggests that we at the very least kept at it today, and the win (eventually) was well deserved. We missed a few utter sitters, and if we'd scored a quick goal I don't think there would have been any doubt we would have won the game by 3 or 4. 

We desperately need a couple of flukey/scraped/hard fought wins to get some confidence back in the team. We don't have bad players, they just need to gain some self-belief back. 

Every single club since football began has gone through times like this. We are utterly bereft of confidence, and it shows through every aspect of our play. 
Lack of confidence means that players sink into themselves, and their belief in their own personal abilities disappears. It becomes easier to pass the ball sideways or backwards rather than back yourself to create something.  
26 attempts on goal suggests that we at the very least kept at it today, and the win (eventually) was well deserved. We missed a few utter sitters, and if we'd scored a quick goal I don't think there would have been any doubt we would have won the game by 3 or 4. 
We desperately need a couple of flukey/scraped/hard fought wins to get some confidence back in the team. We don't have bad players, they just need to gain some self-belief back. 
It never ceases to amaze me how much confidence plays in this game. You're spot on.

As has just been highlighted on Sportscene, St Mirren are awarded a penalty at Hamilton for a goalkeeping offence post the striker getting his shot away.  The exact same thing happened today at Dumbarton and the outcome was zip.  Discuss,
Spot on. And Brian Rice has highlighted this too.

13 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

As has just been highlighted on Sportscene, St Mirren are awarded a penalty at Hamilton for a goalkeeping offence post the striker getting his shot away.  The exact same thing happened today at Dumbarton and the outcome was zip.  Discuss,

Meant to come on here yesterday to comment on this but forgot.

The foul by Lewis is as clear as you're likely to see. Grabbed the forward and pulled him down as he moved past him. It doesn't really matter where the ball is unless it's already out of play, which is the only reason that I can think of for the ref, who had a good view, turning it down.