Airdrie vs Thistle - 27th March

1 minute ago, Hammer Jag said:

A very savoury, but weird game of football.

I actually thought the Airdrie commentators were pretty fair and decent for most of it.

When we're at home the away fans have to listen to Michael Max butcher the names of half their team so I can't really get annoyed by the commentary at our away games.

We  started badly last week and lost: somehow we started well  but despite scoring first, Thistle were the better side when it comes to actually passing to your own players. Yes Wright made a great save but we then gave away the ball inside the 18 yard box and were horribly exposed. After that Thistle could have scored a few more. It was a turning point and when you add to it with dreadful defending inside a few minutes of the restart, it was all over ( and could have been more). The Red card was justified in the modern game and maybe even in the 80s because it was poor control followed by a lunge. I know our wingers looked good for a wee while but they are poor at tracking back and left our FBs in trouble. Tiffoney made the difference with that pace which we lack. We also appear to have to keep anyone called McKay on the park even when we make 3 wild substitutions.  I fear we are in a relegation dogfight but Thistle will take great heart from that today.  If I had no season ticket I would be sorely tempted to give up and might stop PPV for away games. However I want to support all our teams in this difficult season so I suppose I will suffer some more.

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Must have been an Airdrie player lying on the pitch out of camera shot, guess I owe the linesman an apology. 

Screenshot_20210327-190341.png

The match officials confirmed after the game that they had only given it for offside as they thought Rudden had touched the initial shot from Penrice(he did swing a leg at it but he missed).

Having watched it back, Graham is onside when Penrice hits it but it is really tight - the left back is walking out to the 18 yard line with Graham walking towards goal. The LB's back leg plays him onside when the shot is hit - annoyingly a player is in the way for our camera angle so it can't quite be cleared up as conclusively as that but it definitely wasn't the "clearly offside" position the Airdrie twitter claimed!

20 hours ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

The match officials confirmed after the game that they had only given it for offside as they thought Rudden had touched the initial shot from Penrice(he did swing a leg at it but he missed).

Having watched it back, Graham is onside when Penrice hits it but it is really tight - the left back is walking out to the 18 yard line with Graham walking towards goal. The LB's back leg plays him onside when the shot is hit - annoyingly a player is in the way for our camera angle so it can't quite be cleared up as conclusively as that but it definitely wasn't the "clearly offside" position the Airdrie twitter claimed!

I agree it was not clearly offside but I think the Ref might have got it right. What was funny was the Lino heading down the line, the Airdrie players claiming, and when the Ref speaks to the Lino he sticks up his flag for offside! I might be misunderstanding and maybe he has to do that to show the players that it is now deemed offside.  I did not know Refs explained things after a game to managers, but McCall is always certain about everything.

6 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I agree it was not clearly offside but I think the Ref might have got it right. What was funny was the Lino heading down the line, the Airdrie players claiming, and when the Ref speaks to the Lino he sticks up his flag for offside! I might be misunderstanding and maybe he has to do that to show the players that it is now deemed offside.  I did not know Refs explained things after a game to managers, but McCall is always certain about everything.

Thought that a bit odd myself, lino says goal and starts running back to half way line. Ref says are you sure and lino says nah no goal. TBH pretty embarrassing for an official to change a decision so easily. If you are a lino you need to have courage of your convictions goal or no goal. Stupid to be so certain by running back and then saying nah no goal. McCall is a jobby, starting to think he is past it.