Decent Songs Ruined (& Musical PTTGOYN)

Hedgecutter

On 05/04/2021 at 15:56, Fullerene said:

I am not very keen on songs that go off-song somewhere in the middle.  Typical examples are "Light my fire" by The Doors and "Whole lotta love" by Led Zeppelin.

"Behind blue eyes" by The Who has a bit near the end that takes a bit of getting used to.

Disagree , unless LMF is the album version

On 06/04/2021 at 15:37, Funky Nosejob said:

Very much on the PTTGOYN angle, as these songs are rarely decent, is the laziness in rhyming song lyrics.

Whether it’s Daniel Beddingfield’s “If you’re not the one” with its today/way, call/all, bed/head, life/wife, which I can only assume is an homage to Queenie’s poem in Blackadder II...
D0392C3E-7281-4F5D-9872-20E731F7498D.jpeg.cb5df99b10b5434e4418478df0ccd92a.jpeg

Or the even more unforgivable “Shut up and Dance” by Walk the Moon, where the chorus manages to rhyme “back” with “back” and “me” with “me”.

I thought the song was going to be " The Green Manalishi with the two horned crown "

Super Da

Edited by ewan14

1 hour ago, ewan14 said:

Disagree , unless LMF is the album version

I thought the song was going to be " The Green Manalishi with the two horned crown "

Super Da

Okay.  I mean the album version.   The radio edit version is brilliant and makes total sense.

By contrast, the album version has a middle bit that is totally unrelated, bears no resemblance to the start and for me is totally forgettable.  

You could say the same Bohemian Rhapsody but it succeeds because each part is memorable in itself.  The middle bit of LMF (album version) or WLL could be replaced with something completely different and no one would know.  

I know it was for charity and the circumstances surrounding it meant that it had to be written in 5 minutes, but the line "and there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas time" really annoys me. As if there was a huge snowfall last Christmas in Addis Ababa.

14 hours ago, ewan14 said:

Super Da

Maybe I've got it wrong but I always thought that song was a straightforward example of Peter Green's drug fuelled schizophrenia.

For me it's when Joe Strummer sings "If I go there will be trouble, if I stay there will be double" it's obvious Joe - you should go!

5 hours ago, btb said:

Maybe I've got it wrong but I always thought that song was a straightforward example of Peter Green's drug fuelled schizophrenia.

For me it's when Joe Strummer sings "If I go there will be trouble, if I stay there will be double" it's obvious Joe - you should go!

Not necessarily... perhaps the short term 100% extra trouble to stay will be worth it in the medium to long term.

7 hours ago, btb said:

Was it not Mick that sang it ?

8 hours ago, btb said:

The Green Manalishi etc was his

anti materialism statement with the G.M. being money

He wanted to give his money to suffering people e.g. Biafra and in attempting to do this let his uncooperative ( allegedly ) manager and / or accountant know he had a firearm

which did not go down well with H.M. constabulary

Edited by ewan14

8 hours ago, btb said:

I am not sure about the G.M. etc being an example of his " schizophrenia " but he certainly should not have taken the LSD

Looking at photos he did seem to be turning into someone looking like Jesus

IMHO

Edited by ewan14

1 minute ago, ewan14 said:

I am not sure about the G.M. etc but he should not have taken LSD

Looking at photos he did seem to be turning into someone looking like Jesus

IMHO

I could have made it clearer but I always saw the song as a personal lament about his own decline, that he was the Green Manalishi but maybe I'm just looking at it too literally.

In Man of the World Green sings "But I just wish I had never been born" - I saw an interview with Mick Fleetwood where he said that maybe (sic) they should've looked at some of the lyrics and tried to help him at the time.

59 minutes ago, btb said:

I could have made it clearer but I always saw the song as a personal lament about his own decline, that he was the Green Manalishi but maybe I'm just looking at it too literally.

In Man of the World Green sings "But I just wish I had never been born" - I saw an interview with Mick Fleetwood where he said that maybe (sic) they should've looked at some of the lyrics and tried to help him at the time.

The G.M. was money

I think I saw that Fleetwood interview as well. I do not know if they would have been able to help him ?!

14 hours ago, ewan14 said:

The G.M. was money

Evidently...

Now, when the day goes to sleep and the full moon looks
The night is so black that the darkness cooks
Don't you come creepin' around
Makin' me do things I don't wanna do

Can't believe that you need my love so bad
Come sneakin' around tryin' to drive me mad
Bustin' in on my dreams
Makin' me see things I don't wanna see

'Cause you're the Green Manalishi with the two prong crown
All my tryin' is up all your bringin' is down
Just takin' my love then slippin' away
Leavin' me here just tryin' to keep from followin' you

Edited by btb

Three times in my life I've heard some sort of Bon Iver collab or sample (Fall Creek Boys Choir with James Blake, Lost in the World with Kanye and just recently I've learned that DJ Koze's Bonfire uses a Bon Iver sample) and thought "oh I might like this guy" and every time I've listened it turns out it isn't for me.

So that's my musical petty thing that gets on my nerves. I keep thinking I'll like the guy and don't.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Purple Rain by Prince benefits greatly by the music file being taken into ‘Audacity’ and having the wanky un-necessary last minute of fade-out shite chopped off. Audacity is great for that sort of thing. CD albums with hidden tracks at the end after minutes of silence… Audacity sorts that pish.