Decent Songs Ruined (& Musical PTTGOYN)

Hedgecutter

I am not very keen on songs that go off-song somewhere in the middle.  Typical examples are "Light my fire" by The Doors and "Whole lotta love" by Led Zeppelin.

"Behind blue eyes" by The Who has a bit near the end that takes a bit of getting used to.

On 02/04/2021 at 09:28, Savage Henry said:

What's a harder question is bad songs which are raised out of the pits of hell by great bits.   I'd go with "You're So Vain... you probably think this song is about you", which is a sublime lyric in a sea of absolute clunkers and an otherwise ghastly song.

Her efforts to shoehorn in Saratoga and Nova Scotia are painful. 

Very much on the PTTGOYN angle, as these songs are rarely decent, is the laziness in rhyming song lyrics.

Whether it’s Daniel Beddingfield’s “If you’re not the one” with its today/way, call/all, bed/head, life/wife, which I can only assume is an homage to Queenie’s poem in Blackadder II...
D0392C3E-7281-4F5D-9872-20E731F7498D.jpeg.cb5df99b10b5434e4418478df0ccd92a.jpeg

Or the even more unforgivable “Shut up and Dance” by Walk the Moon, where the chorus manages to rhyme “back” with “back” and “me” with “me”.

2 minutes ago, Funky Nosejob said:

Very much on the PTTGOYN angle, as these songs are rarely decent, is the laziness in rhyming song lyrics.

Whether it’s Daniel Beddingfield’s “If you’re not the one” with its today/way, call/all, bed/head, life/wife, which I can only assume is an homage to Queenie’s poem in Blackadder II...
D0392C3E-7281-4F5D-9872-20E731F7498D.jpeg.cb5df99b10b5434e4418478df0ccd92a.jpeg

Or the even more unforgivable “Shut up and Dance” by Walk the Moon, where the chorus manages to rhyme “back” with “back” and “me” with “me”.

See also, Walk on the Wild Side rhyming head with err, head. Much as I like that song it has always annoyed me.

It still annoys me to this day the extent to which Spaceman by Babylon Zoo wasted an absolutely amazing chorus on the rest of what can be loosely described as that "song".

23 hours ago, Perkin Flump said:

See also, Walk on the Wild Side rhyming head with err, head. Much as I like that song it has always annoyed me.

See also War Pigs by Black Sabbath, which rhymes:

Generals gathered in their masses
Just like witches at black...er...masses.  :unsure2:

Edited by paranoid android

22 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

See also War Pigs by Black Sabbath, which rhymes:

Generals gathered in their masses
Just like witches at black...er...masses.  :unsure2:

See also School's Out by Alice Cooper, where he admits we can't  even think of a word that rhymes.

Queen's One Vision/Fried Chicken thing pisses me off too. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't call that a decent song, but its association with Iron Eagle means that I can tolerate it, but only up to a point.... and that point is crossed when Mercury utters Fried Chicken.

Songs which have choruses written completely independently of the song are always funny.

Tonight by Fun. is the one that always comes to mind. They got that chorus hook sorted and did the barest minimum filling out the rest. Even the transition sounds copy and pasted.

I get that the song is from 1975 when it was a more popular name, but it still annoys me that the love interest in Bruce Springsteen’s Born to Run is called Wendy. 
I’m okay with countless other names in other songs, from Buddy Holly’s Peggy Sue to The Zutons’ Valerie, so I don’t know why Wendy jars so much. Maybe Bruce could re-record the song substituting in a more edgy name like Roxie?

• 3 weeks later...

Reminded by a post on the Random 80s Videos thread, songs where the lyrics are incorrect.

1. S-Express (Theme from S-Express)

“Countdown is progressing, uno, dos, uno, dos, tres, cuatro

That’s a count up, not a count down.

2. Cher (Love and Understanding)

“We’ve got more than enough, but there’s one thing there’s just not enough of. 
Not enough love and understanding”

That’s two things.

If I was Ed Byrne, I could make a set out of this.

• 1 month later...
On 24/03/2021 at 10:21, Melanius Mullarkey said:

There's a few songs which have a nice melody with some bird singing some nice lyrics and then some faux rap c**t start giving it Uh-uh, eh-eh in between the lines.  Cant remember the songs but they are ruined by that kind of shite IMO.

Yours sincerely,

Da

The Fugues ?

Da 2