Decent Songs Ruined (& Musical PTTGOYN)

Hedgecutter

I'm sure that I'm not alone in having a number of songs which I can't quite properly enjoy because of something in just one part of it, whether it be a really irritating  short instrumental or just a sh*te line somewhere, so which examples disgruntle the P&B masses?

I'll kick off with 'I only want to be with you' by The Tourists in which Annie Lennox does this "I only, I only, I only, I only..." bit right at the end which I find irritating as f*** and ruins it right at the end.

Having mentioned Annie, I may as well also add the Eurythmics' There Must Be An Angel which has the drawn-out line "I walk into an empty room, and suddenly my heart goes booooooommmmm".  A truly desperate, awful line that grinds my gears every time I hear it played.

Edited by Hedgecutter

There's a few songs which have a nice melody with some bird singing some nice lyrics and then some faux rap c**t start giving it Uh-uh, eh-eh in between the lines.  Cant remember the songs but they are ruined by that kind of shite IMO.

Yours sincerely,

Da

10 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I'm sure that I'm not alone in having a number of songs which I can't quite properly enjoy because of something in just one part of it, whether it be a really irritating  short instrumental or just a sh*te line somewhere, so which examples disgruntle the P&B masses?

I'll kick off with 'I only want to be with you' by The Tourists in which Annie Lennox does this "I only, I only, I only, I only..." bit right at the end which I find irritating as f*** and ruins it right at the end.

Having mentioned Annie, I may as well also add the Eurythmics' There Must Be An Angel which has the drawn-out line "I walk into an empty room, and suddenly my heart goes booooooommmmm".  A truly desperate, awful line that grinds my gears every time I hear it played.

Aye, but in between each "I only" at the end, the cymbals were given a belt with a fish to give it (the sound - no' the fish) that real acoustic and echo-ey feel.   

The album, The Tourists, itself is brilliant.

Obvious choice would be the reggae bit in Live and Let Die. I’ve nothing against reggae music per se, but this bizarre break serves no purpose other than to ruin the whole sense of the song.

Also, as a prime example of MM’s point, the “One Time ... Two Times” in the Fugees’ cover of “Killing Me Softly”.

I’ll come back with a few personal gripes later.

Edited by Funky Nosejob

On 23/03/2021 at 23:36, Hedgecutter said:

Dinnae listen to Sam Fox's version. 

6 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Rapture by Blondie.

Starts out pretty good but Debbie Harry's rapping is poor and goes on a wee bit too long.

4 hours ago, Funky Nosejob said:

Obvious choice would be the reggae bit in Live and Let Die. I’ve nothing against reggae music per se, but this bizarre break serves no purpose other than to ruin the whole sense of the song.

I’ll come back with a few personal gripes later.

Two flawless recordings, ihmo.

download (26).jpg

Edited by paranoid android

Background 
In 1987, Morris Minor & The Majors released a novelty song called “Stutter Rap (No Sleep til Bedtime)”. It reached No. 4 in the charts and, once heard, cannot be unheard. A song with absolutely no redeeming features and probably a contributory factor to a lot of children of that era being bullied. I strongly suspect that Queen’s John Deacon’s appearance in the song’s video is why he chose to withdraw from public life.

Outcome
Countless songs that rely on repeated syllables to make lyrics scan properly are ruined as they immediately remind me of the aforementioned travesty of a song. Probably the worst offender is the otherwise decent party anthem “Boom! Shake the Room” featuring Will Smith performing pretty much a whole verse in staccato faux stutter.

Edited by Funky Nosejob

On 23/03/2021 at 23:36, Hedgecutter said:

Surely if the room was empty, there couldn't be anything in there which could cause cardiovascular combustion?

The Elvis-style "uh-huh" background vocals on Kirsty MacColl's "There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop", which only appear halfway through the song, really do grate if I'm listening through headphones.

On 24/03/2021 at 10:21, Melanius Mullarkey said:

There's a few songs which have a nice melody with some bird singing some nice lyrics and then some faux rap c**t start giving it Uh-uh, eh-eh in between the lines.  Cant remember the songs but they are ruined by that kind of shite IMO.

Yours sincerely,

Da

The Fugees

One time! 

Killing me softly

Two time! 

Edited by coprolite
17 hour late. Up yours funky nosejob

It's not a classic Smashing Pumpkins song by any means but The Everlasting Gaze is pretty fun and coasts along nicely until all the instrumentals cut out and you get to hear Billy Corgan's vocals unfiltered and lads, it's not great. I would in fact call it very bad.

Jackie Leven had a propensity to throw Beatles lines into his songs for no apparent reason.  That's probably more bad production than anything else.   But there are loads of bad bits in generally good songs.

What's a harder question is bad songs which are raised out of the pits of hell by great bits.   I'd go with "You're So Vain... you probably think this song is about you", which is a sublime lyric in a sea of absolute clunkers and an otherwise ghastly song.