What year was the oldest family member you knew born?

My Great Uncle Owen was born in 1888, died in 1971.

A jute mill worker, he played for Montrose (two of his brothers played for Dundee Hibs and East Fife), he was in the cavalry in WW1, he and his wife Mary didn't have any children so they saved up and visited Paris in the 1920s. They bought a cooker, but Mary didn't like it, so they sent it back and reverted to preparing meals over an open fire in their tenement flat in Blackness Road. 

Edited by Cosmic Joe

1935, my paternal grandmother and grandfather.

My maternal grandfather was born in 1902 and had my mum when he was in his 50s but he died before I was born his wife died not long after I was born so can't really claim to know them.

All my grandparents are dead but didn't really know them that well. 

My paternal grandfather was born in 1908 and died in 1999 when I was 28. Knew him well enough to know that he was a cantankerous old b*****d, but I suppose it's hard not to get a bit pissed off at that age when all of your friends are long gone. Paid a decent rate for cutting his grass tbf.

My granny died in 1962, and I'm not sure how old she was, but I reckon she must have been born in the late 1880s. My other granny died in 1953 when I was 1, so didn't know her, she was probably born in the early to mid1880s, as my oldest aunt was born in 1908 afaik.

1906 for my grandad I think.

My next door neighbour here died at 99 not long after we moved in.  I think she must therefore have been born in 1904 or thereabouts, but I didn't really know her at all well.  

When I was a young kid, there must have been plenty of old folk knocking around who were born in the 19th century, which strikes me as an odd thought.

My great-uncle Richard (my grandpas oldest brother) was born in the 1920s, so the relative I have known who was born the earliest was most likely him. He died in 2004 though, so if we're talking about longest-lived relatives then my great-aunt lived into her late 80s and died about two years ago.

My grandad was born in 1890, lied about his age to join the army and was stationed in India in 1910 when news of Dundee’s Scottish Cup win came through. Served in WW1 and suffered from what would now be classed as PTSD into the 20’s. Died in 1963. My grannie was born in 1891 passed away in 1974. As was fairly normal back then they had 7 children, 1 died less than a year old.

47 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

1919 my Grandad who I was very close to until he died in 2011. 

I also found out just yesterday my Great-Grandad died of a heart attack at Hampden during a game. Don't know which game. Just out of interest. Would be either a Morton or Scotland game.

My Great Grandfather earned an obituary in the Dundee Evening Telegraph by virtue of suffering a fatal heart attack watching Lochee Harp winning a semi final in 1938 in a local cup.

"Overcome by excitement" were the the first three words in the piece. 

My Granny was born in 1905 and could remember Great Uncle Charlie coming back from the Western Front on leave. Great Granny put his kilt in the sink and the water turned black with lice.

ETA: she later knew a German family in Trier and saw Hitler when she was there visiting. The German family she knew were anti-Nazis btw.

I used to know someone older than me who came from Borneo and their granny had remembered Kakatoa erupting when they were small.

Edited by tamthebam

I only knew one grandparent, my Grandma, who was born in 1902 and died in the late 70’s.  She and my Grandad ran a pub for (I think) about 30 years from the 1920s on. 

I have an auntie born in 1915. Her mind is still razor sharp and I wish I had half her energy.  Pre-COVID she would think nothing of hopping on a bus and taking off to some random place just for a day out.