Mixes

NotThePars

I know there's a thread for Dance Songs but electronic music is a place where much of it excels when it's part of a broader mix of tunes. 

What are the mixes that P&Bers are playing on rotation? What's the best new mixes people are enjoying or what are their all time classics?

I was surprised to hear Brooklyn and Warp's own experimental weird electronic music producer Oneohtrix Point Never had been tapped up at the weekend to do an Essential Mix. A lot more dancefloor heavy stuff than I expected to hear going by his own increasingly poppy material. Eclectic and good fun.

Been a while since I listened to or downloaded a new Essential Mix, and should really do a clear out of stuff on my iPod that goes back a long time and fill the space with newer material. Realising the Greenpeace and Yoda mix is a few months from being old enough to start drinking was a 'Holy shit I'm old!' surprise, I'll tell you that for nowt. Have spent the last few months cycling through the disco-influenced late 90's EM's, from Daft Punk, Dope Smugglaz, Basement Jaxx and Layo and Bushwhaka! and they're all going to resurface again soon. 

Edited by Jimmy Shaker

8 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Bryan Kearney has been putting out some class stuff on Youtube over the last 12 months.

Tears in my eyes from the Daniel Kandi remix of On A Good Day till the end.

A boy I worked with in my last year is on about coming to visit this October and he's adamant I'm going to see this guy and like another 30 trance artists at the Victoria Warehouse in Manchester

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

A boy I worked with in my last year is on about coming to visit this October and he's adamant I'm going to see this guy and like another 30 trance artists at the Victoria Warehouse in Manchester

Some line up at that. 

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I remember him well...Stand and deliver, your money or your life.

Those were the days.

I had a chance to see him in Dundee a few years back but was unfortunately indisposed because of exam season. I don't think him, or the venue Fat Sams, are still going. 

RIP to two underdog criminal ventures.

The Fabric and Fabriclive mixes were always a bit hit and miss. Off the top of my head the James Murphy. Ellen Allien, Ricardo Villalobos and John Peel's were very good. This was an absolute beauty from Sandwell District.

Edited by Jimi Shandrix

7 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I had a chance to see him in Dundee a few years back but was unfortunately indisposed because of exam season. I don't think him, or the venue Fat Sams, are still going. 

RIP to two underdog criminal ventures.

I think he went off his nut for a while. Appears on the has been circuit for drunk middle aged women.

Young Parisians and the b side Lady were great songs, but then he got famous.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

I think he went off his nut for a while. Appears on the has been circuit for drink middle aged women.

Young Parisians and the b side Lady were great songs, but then he got famous.

I walked past him once on Camden Lock with a stunning looking young lady who I later found out was Heather Graham of Boogie Nights fame.

7 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

I walked past him once on Camden Lock with a stunning looking young lady who I later found out was Heather Graham of Boogie Nights fame.

I met Gene October out of Chelsea in The Lock Tavern, that's the best I can do. If I go back I'm going to find Knox out The Vibrators stall in the market and buy something.

https://www.knox76.com

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

I met Gene October out of Chelsea in The Lock Tavern, that's the best I can do. If I go back I'm going to find Knox out The Vibrators stall in the market and buy something.

I saw Chelsea live at Oscar's nightclub in Dundee around 1994. Gene October was stomping around taps aff, with combat trousers and army boots.

The following afternoon I was having a pint in the Phoenix when October sauntered in looking quite dapper and very unpunk with an Armani shirt tucked into black trousers and a pair of dress shoes.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Bought a good few bootleg cassettes in Camden market. The price some of these things go for now on ebay is mental. Saddened to see that all the stalls that sold them down that dark tunnel were gone the last time I was there. All in all, Camden was not the exciting, vibrant place that I had remembered. Still the guy on the bridge softly whispering "weed, cocaine, ecstacy" to everyone that went past was still going strong so it's not all bad, I suppose.

23 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I saw Chelsea live at Oscar's nightclub in Dundee around 1994. Gene October was stomping around taps aff, with combat trousers and army boots.

The following afternoon I was having a pint in the Phoenix when October sauntered in looking quite dapper and very unpunk with an Armani shirt tucked into black trousers and a pair of dress shoes.

He was a bit down on his luck and doing deliveries and general dogs body work for a record company in return for studio time. Great band though.

I can't move for mix cds in my house but they appear to be on their last legs. DJ Kicks is still hanging on in there thankfully, the latest from Special Request (Paul Woolford) is erm a bit special.

Out of the Boiler Rooms this is probably my favourite;

1 hour ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

I can't move for mix cds in my house but they appear to be on their last legs. DJ Kicks is still hanging on in there thankfully, the latest from Special Request (Paul Woolford) is erm a bit special.

Out of the Boiler Rooms this is probably my favourite;

I had the Special Request one on my list as he's a fucking class DJ with some big tunes but he doesn't seem to put many mixes out at least ones which match the big room techno and house vibes of his DJ sets. What's it like?

5 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I had the Special Request one on my list as he's a fucking class DJ with some big tunes but he doesn't seem to put many mixes out at least ones which match the big room techno and house vibes of his DJ sets. What's it like?

Starts with some Disco and moves through House, Techno and into Jungle with some ambient and synthy soul stuff thrown in. I've got his mixes for Renaissance and NRK, both are tremendous.

15 hours ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

Starts with some Disco and moves through House, Techno and into Jungle with some ambient and synthy soul stuff thrown in. I've got his mixes for Renaissance and NRK, both are tremendous.

Just listened to it there and went back to 2013's Soul Music right after. Was a good mix, nice and eclectic. Soundboy Killer is still a classic.