Might not vote 2021

scottsdad

3 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’d say spoiling is better than staying at home. It at least shows some engagement with the process, if not the parties

This is probably a dumb question but does it get counted as a spoiled ballot? If so then I get it but I still think it's futile. 

22 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I don't really get spoiling your ballot, if you're that unmoved by parties why don't you just stay at home? 

I'll be holding my nose and voting for the Tories again to hopefully rid this country of the nutters, hopefully in a dream scenario, the Scottish Nationalists get a minority and the question is knocked off the table and the disillusionment leads to all parties actually putting forward exciting manifestos based on actual issues so we can improve the country significantly rather than remaining stagnant going back and forth on the constitutional issues. I fear there are still too many people with identity issues for this to happen straight after the next election but if you give it a few years we might be in a far better situation. 

That makes no sense. 

6 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

This is probably a dumb question but does it get counted as a spoiled ballot? If so then I get it but I still think it's futile. 

Aye, I’m certain when they read out the vote count, they say “there were 89 spoiled ballots” or whatever at the end.

19 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Yes it does. If the SNP vote collapses and Indy is off the table then we can move forward.

I understand & respect  that is what you want, but for  a lot of us the thought of remaining tied to Boris' Brexit Britain, the way things are heading, for rest of decade is a frightening prospect.

15 minutes ago, paolo2143 said:

I understand & respect  that is what you want, but for  a lot of us the thought of remaining tied to Boris' Brexit Britain, the way things are heading, for rest of decade is a frightening prospect.

Aye I don't think forum is the best representation for the wider electorate but I of course understand people will think differently to me, especially on here. 

3 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Christ, you've got some fuckin balls mate.

Me I'll be voting for the only Scottish based party the SNP.

FWIW the Scottish Green Party is also a Scottish party, and I'm sure some of the other smaller parties are too.

14 hours ago, GordonS said:

This is the crux of Scottish politics right now. One party is trying to appeal to 55%+ of the electorate and currently has about 45%-50% in their pocket. The next two parties know they have no chance of getting over 25% each so make no real offer to the middle ground, and are appealing to their core votes while competing with each other to be the biggest opposition. Of the remaining two viable parties, one is extremely localised with lost deposits everywhere else and the other is mostly looking for the regional votes from supporters of the biggest party.

It's a really weird landscape.

The really odd thing is that Labour seem to have abandoned their core vote and are chasing the Tory vote, the party who are (theoretically) their diametric opposites and appeal to fewer than 15% of registered voters in Scotland. Not to mention working with the Tories against the party that the majority of their support has been lost to.

Genuinely, they have no reason to still exist, other than to provide high-paid employment to a diminishing number of people with no convictions.

Seems to be a bit of confusing with regard to spoiling your ballot; the point is to register the fact that you think all the candidates are shite. Any attempt at amusing additions are purely for the bored volunteers having to count them. It's entirely unnecessary to brag about drawing willies to your mates, and anyone who does so is clearly a w**k.

1 minute ago, Pato said:

This isn't true though is it? If there was an 'all of the candidates are shite' box you could tick, it would be, but spoiling it just means you spoiled it for any number of reasons.

There absolutely should be a 'none of the above' option, but I don't know what other reason you'd have for spoiling your ballot than dissatisfaction with the candidates.

Wanting to brag to your mates about drawing willies on an official form, I guess.

1 minute ago, Pato said:

Misreading instructions would be the big one. People sometimes rank candidates assuming it's an STV system, or cross both constituency and list votes in the constituency candidates selection. My grandad's signature would often be an inch or two away from where the line was so I can well imagine it was possible his cross would not be definitely attributable to one box. We have no data on whether it's a confusion/dodderiness thing or an explicit statement of rejection, which probably suits some folk.

You'd think that, if writing "good guy" and "w**k" would be acceptable, ranking the candidates would also be considered an acceptable indicator of the intended choice  :lol:

Anyway, all the more reason for a "none" option. Although I suppose a few folk might f**k that up too.

57 minutes ago, Pato said:

I'd never vote for conservatives & see them as by far the bigger threat to our continued living standards but I don't really see what's meriting all the red dots on this post. It's a reasonably stated desire to achieve the same things that independence supporters want, just without seeing independence as the way to achieve it.

I agree on ballot spoiling. There was a great Modern Parents in viz where the dad has this fantasy about his spoiled ballot being traced to him and being asked to lead the country because he was so witty, I half think that's what a lot of them think could happen.

Tbf I don't think many people have read it. There's 2 or 3 posters who go onto my page daily and look through my recent posts to red dot, if anything my posts should be looked at with a -3 handicap so that one is pretty much a +1!

Aye I can't imagine taking the time out of my day to go spoil a ballot, I kinda get it I'm just too lazy, I'm sure if all the people that spoiled their ballots stayed at home there's more chance of low turn out being a talking point than spoiled ballots. 

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

You'd think that, if writing "good guy" and "w**k" would be acceptable, ranking the candidates would also be considered an acceptable indicator of the intended choice  :lol:

Anyway, all the more reason for a "none" option. Although I suppose a few folk might f**k that up too.

I have seen people rank candidates in FPTP and it counted as a valid vote for candidate 1 as a clear preference was  expressed 

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

FWIW the Scottish Green Party is also a Scottish party, and I'm sure some of the other smaller parties are too.

You are correct, the Scottish Green Party is Independent but work closely with the other green parties of the UK and Ireland, The Green Party of england, the Northern Ireland Green Party, and it is a full member of the European Green Party.

Meanwhile the SNP is Scottish based with no political affiliation or influences from outside Scotland.