Tory Lies, Corruption and Hypocrisy- Add Them Here

HTG

On 22/03/2023 at 18:33, Granny Danger said:

Lee Anderson is to be paid £100k per annum to host a GB News show.

I note GB News lost £30M in their first year, their backers probably think it's worth it to keep Labour in step with the ever rightwards march of the Tories. 

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Would depend on your definition of wrong. IMO whoring themselves out to the highest bidder compromises their impartiality but it is not against the rules per se. I think it should be.

Same with party donations. How can people believe that donors are  just being generous? They expect something back for their cash.

Agreed stings like this just show the "keeps us in touch with the world at large" argument for the bullshit it really is.

I'm sure there are ways for MPs to keep in touch without trousering £10k per day.

1 minute ago, btb said:

Agreed stings like this just show the "keeps us in touch with the world at large" argument for the bullshit it really is.

I'm sure there are ways for MPs to keep in touch without trousering £10k per day.

When I worked in the public sector, if I had wanted to take on additional remunerative activities, I'd have had to get the written consent of my employer.

I'd be quite happy if MPs/MSPs held a vote among their constituents, and secured a "yes" majority of those voting before taking on such activity. Until that happens if the additional "work" was for the private sector, they can GTF. 

If somebody earns more from their "outside" work than they earn by working for their constituents, their loyalties and priorities cannot be assumed to be with the latter.  If the "work" was to be for the public sector, the same hurdle should be reached if the payments were more than 50% of their MP's salary. See? I'm not completely unreasonable! 

11 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

When I worked in the public sector, if I had wanted to take on additional remunerative activities, I'd have had to get the written consent of my employer.

I'd be quite happy if MPs/MSPs held a vote among their constituents, and secured a "yes" majority of those voting before taking on such activity. Until that happens if the additional "work" was for the private sector, they can GTF. 

If somebody earns more from their "outside" work than they earn by working for their constituents, their loyalties and priorities cannot be assumed to be with the latter.  If the "work" was to be for the public sector, the same hurdle should be reached if the payments were more than 50% of their MP's salary. See? I'm not completely unreasonable! 

It should also be mandatory that if they require 80% turn out for a strike to be valid that an MP needs 80% turnout to be elected. I wonder why that wouldn't happen...

The shock to me is the inflated sense of self-worth proven failures like Hancock/Kwarteng must be carrying round in their heads to think they are even remotely worth anything near 10 grand a day. Even a grand would be grifting it for competent politicians.

What I found funny was the similarity between Stephen Hammond's comment and Senator Pat Geary from Godfather 2

Senator Pat Geary - “This was nothing other than what I thought to be a preliminary discussion with a South Korean company – a country that is close to my heart as I have a substantial Korean community in my constituency, and which is an important ally to the UK.

Stephen Hammond - For years now a growing number of my constituents have been of Italian decent, and I've come to know them well. They have honored me with their support and with their friendship. Indeed, I can proudly say that some of my very best friends are Italian-Americans.

48 minutes ago, orfc said:

The shock to me is the inflated sense of self-worth proven failures like Hancock/Kwarteng must be carrying round in their heads to think they are even remotely worth anything near 10 grand a day. Even a grand would be grifting it for competent politicians.

That's the whole point. All parties know that the only thing they are 'buying' and selling is favours and influence. Nothing to do with ability.

On 27/03/2023 at 17:01, carpetmonster said:

0D9E0AD5-EC61-43C1-B893-D8F6BE2C634B.jpeg.9cbb8c24cb6deb4b7fcbf2cad0f81570.jpeg

Kwarteng and Brady will be losing the whip then. 

I have to admit I support Sunak on this.

Forget global issues, such as the environment and global warming, International issues, such as Ukraine, the migrant crisis or political polarisation in the United States, or domestic issues such as poverty, homelessness and an NHS under severe pressure, what we really need to focus on is begging.

On 27/03/2023 at 16:15, MazzyStar said:

This includes giving landlords greater power to evict tenants, because making people homeless will help fight anti social behaviour according to the tories. 

The content is completely unsurprising, on brand and probably lies. 

My main concern is the atrocious graphic design. Looks like a primary school poster competition.