Tory Lies, Corruption and Hypocrisy- Add Them Here

HTG

6 hours ago, StellarHibee said:

You'd think that rather than pushing for further internet censorship, they would simply release the entire footage online with the "full context" and allow people to make up their own minds from that.

Unless of course, the entire footage doesn't actually alter the context whatsoever.

It doesn't at all. The full footage is slightly worse, in that Braverman seeks to establish an equivalence between her experience and the questioner's because Braverman's Dad was a refugee. She also cynically tries to establish her "human" credentials through her Mum's working for the NHS. 

The rest is just more waffle. 

The Home Office tweet is a lie. There is no misrepresentation. 

8 hours ago, HTG said:

It gets worse. The Home Office are trying to have the exchange taken down from the Internet. There must be someone in the Department with a set of baws ... or maybe they've all been sacked and there are only fascists left. 

That tweet should have come from the Home Secretary herself, her special advisors or her constituency office. Why is she using our money to defend what didn't look like an event she attended as home secretary.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

That tweet should have come from the Home Secretary herself, her special advisors or her constituency office. Why is she using our money to defend what didn't look like an event she attended as home secretary.

I've heard both the long and short versions of the Braverman Q&A. Seems to me that the Home Secretary is a very dangerous person and, again in MHO, ignorant of history, too.  That a modern British politician can say these things is pretty revolting.  

Maybe someone in Downing Towers should print off and paper the walls with Mhairi Black's speech on fascism. 

I've no time for the Tories, and am not particularly interested in suggesting anything that might help them, but even I think that Sunak has to grow a pair and boot out her sorry arse. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

More detail on what Zahawi has been up to with his taxes. 

https://www.taxpolicy.org.uk/2022/07/10/zahawi/

This guy seems quite sensible and has stopped short of calling him a lying c**t. He has made it quite clear however that as well as being a tax cheating hypocrite, Zahawi is in fact a lying c**t. 

Probably elsewhere in that blog, but Zahawi threatened him twice through different law firms. There's a good read up somewhere on the lawyers using underhand tactics to try and silence him. 

Unfortunately for them, the man they threatened used to be a Tax Partner at a large law firm, and he instantly called their bullshit. 

Edited by Michael W

5 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I've heard both the long and short versions of the Braverman Q&A. Seems to me that the Home Secretary is a very dangerous person and, again in MHO, ignorant of history, too.  That a modern British politician can say these things is pretty revolting.  

Maybe someone in Downing Towers should print off and paper the walls with Mhairi Black's speech on fascism. 

I've no time for the Tories, and am not particularly interested in suggesting anything that might help them, but even I think that Sunak has to grow a pair and boot out her sorry arse. 

The fact that she, and her predecessor Patel, are children of refugees and yet still say these things, shows just how dangerous they are.

1 hour ago, Shipa said:

The fact that she, and her predecessor Patel, are children of refugees and yet still say these things, shows just how dangerous they are.

The very definition of pulling the bridge up behind you.

Every time they appear in print or on tv, the first question that should be asked is “as you have risen to the very top in political life, do you wish to deny that opportunity to others” 

They are the worst of the worst, I fucking despise the Tories, but Braverman & Patel are the worst possible. 

25 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I can't shake the feeling that the whole Section 35 thing is to deflect attention from something utterly outrageous that they know is about to come out

Nah, I’m not sure they give a shit anymore. They have a party chair who’s diddled the revenue for millions and a Home Secretary who’s peddling Nazi rhetoric at Holocaust survivors, and nobody’s holding them to account. I think this is just a straight case of rights removal with trans folks as the canary in the coalmine. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jan/18/freedoms-controlling-coercive-behaviour

"This legislation is justified by the government on the grounds that ambulance strikes “result in patchy emergency care for the British people”. Emergency care is patchy all right, but not as a result of strikes. Long waits for ambulances, critical incidents in hospitals, schools heading towards bankruptcy, railways in permanent meltdown and rivers full of shit are the result not of industrial action but of gross misrule by a government that has starved public services of funds while failing to demand effective minimum service levels from private providers."

12 minutes ago, muirkirk nil said:

It is weird, isn't it? Maybe he thinks that some entitled notion of diplomatic immunity will prevent him from death or serious injury if he is sideswiped at 30 miles an hour by a HGV. 

Not suggesting that would would be a good thing, by the way, but if it did happen, and he was saved by a seatbelt it would be a very valuable lesson.  However, if he didn't wear a seatbelt, and was malkied into whatever next life he believes in, the lesson would be equally valuable in encouraging others to do the right thing. 

7 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

However, if he didn't wear a seatbelt, and was malkied into whatever next life he believes in, the lesson would be equally valuable in encouraging others to do the right thing. 

Indeed. Like you say, it wouldn't be very nice. But then again, I'm a great believer in the greater good and if there's a lesson that can be passed on to others here....