Tory Lies, Corruption and Hypocrisy- Add Them Here

HTG

6 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Leaks of emails from last month showing clearly the direction of travel for this government. These are dangerous times. I'm intrigued by "considered" but don't believe for a minute that the matter's over and that there's much more like this to see the light.

Rishi Sunak considered banning thousands of workers from joining a union, according to leaked government emails detailing proposals described as potentially the “biggest attack on workers’ rights and freedoms” for decades.

A massive attack on freedom in general.

6 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

I’m pretty sure it’ll just be for the kids in England & Wales who do A-levels. I’m 99% sure I had to do maths in 5th year (Scotland) whether I wanted to or not - I did module because I knew I wouldn’t have passed the Higher and if I’d been able to bin it entirely I would have because modules mean heehaw in terms of UCAS. I did get to bin it off entirely in 6th year. Mid 90s, if anyone can corroborate being compuncted. 

I did maths at high school but after standard grade (3rd and 4th year) it wasn't compulsory. Finished high school in 2002.

3 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Aye, you don't have to study anything you don't want to any more other than Maths and English after about second year, sometimes third, and anything at all, even Maths and English once you get to fifth year. I thought the Tories were all about personal freedoms?

At the moment the Tories are all about trying to do anything that will score them some points.

Ironically I don’t see the maths thing getting them many (any?) votes.

28 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Aye, you don't have to study anything you don't want to any more other than Maths and English after about second year, sometimes third, and anything at all, even Maths and English once you get to fifth year. I thought the Tories were all about personal freedoms?

Huh. We had to do at least one language (French, German, Latin), one social science (history, geography, modern studies) and one science (biology, chemistry, physics or spud) for Standard Grade. Damn nanny state. Under the Tories (finished in 96)

Aye, in my day (Standard Grades, 96, Highers 97, CSYS 98) we had to have a "balanced" curriculum for S3 and S4 which meant (in my school at least) English, Maths, a Science (including SG Science for those not strong enough in Biology/Chemistry/Physics), a Modern Language, an Arts subject (Art, Music, Drama, Home Economics), a Technical subject (Tech Studies, Graph Com, Business, Computing) then had 2 free choices. 

Nowadays, most schools have similar broad general education curricula in S1/2 (sometimes into S4) then basically it's a free for all. Usually it's English, Maths and then another 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 subjects depending on how the timetable works in that school. So you don't have to take a Language (which had meant a huge hit in those departments, although they are trying to actively promote them more by starting in early primary), you don't have to be particularly good at Sciences and Maths to get into a Physics class (although National 4 Science is a more common option) and when you get to S5 you can take whatever you like albeit the school will try their best to include English and Maths in any choices pupils make.

Education is pretty cyclical so no doubt in a few years we'll be back at the 8 subject, "balanced" timetable structure but regardless of any changes, Maths up til 18 won't be one of them.

In the 80's Maths, Arithmetic, English, two sciences were compulsory through 'O' Grade, so 3rd and 4th year. The rest varied by school, but for us it was a choice of one language from French or German, which was ridiculous because we were taught French in 1st and 2nd year but not German, so if you took German you were starting at infant-level at age 14. We had to choose one from Modern Studies, Geography, or History, you were fucked if you wanted to do MS & history like I did unless you stayed on to 5th or 6th year and took the 2nd at the expense of a Higher or SYS. English Higher was compulsory for pupils who elected to stay on to 5th year, but you wouldn't have been given the option of staying if you had failed English 'O', but I don't know anyone that actually happened to because they used to bump any pupil they weren't 100% would pass down to Standard Grade instead of 'O'. Maths was not compulsory at Higher so I binned it off and took PE and Biology 'O' instead because I wanted to study Sports Science at college. 

Seems outrageous now, but many pupils were simply not given the option to stay on for 5th year as the school used to tell them not to come back. Of course, if you pushed it the school would have no option but to keep you enrolled, but imagine the shitstorm now if schools told 15 and 16 year olds to basically f**k off after 4th year because they weren't welcome back? I had the deputy rector try something similar with me after 5th year because I plunked English through sheer disinterest so he was pissed off with my attitude and asked me what my plans were. When I told him I hadn't quite decided for certain he basically told me I wasn't welcome back. These were auld fogies who were hangovers from the pre-Comprehensive days and still liked to throw their weight around they way they did in the Grammar schools era. I always got the impression they felt that teaching 'plebs' was beneath them, so they never passed up an opportunity to be an arsehole to the kids. Our Rector was a complete lunatic who used to stomp around in full mortar board and cape. The younger teachers hated him and openly took the piss.

Edited by Boo Khaki

On 30/12/2022 at 14:31, TapothehullDee said:

How about the SNP guy who was sending dodgy txts to a rather young male. Is ANYONE in the SNP " normal" ? A bunch of slavering racists and one trick pony. It's great to watch it all go down the sinkhole. Now they can concentrate on the utter shambles they have created o er the last decade or so but don't hold your breath. 

Let us take a moment to admire the sheer fucking state of this post 😂

It's worse than anything Kincs could conceive and you don't even have the excuse of probably being pished. Oaft. 

46 minutes ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

Let us take a moment to admire the sheer fucking state of this post 😂

It's worse than anything Kincs could conceive and you don't even have the excuse of probably being pished. Oaft. 

I was shocked by one of his posts on Friday - it was on the Dundee match thread.

On 07/01/2023 at 15:15, carpetmonster said:

I’m pretty sure it’ll just be for the kids in England & Wales who do A-levels. I’m 99% sure I had to do maths in 5th year (Scotland) whether I wanted to or not - I did module because I knew I wouldn’t have passed the Higher and if I’d been able to bin it entirely I would have because modules mean heehaw in terms of UCAS. I did get to bin it off entirely in 6th year. Mid 90s, if anyone can corroborate being compuncted. 

8 standard grades. Maths, English, language, social subject (mod studs/history/geography), science, pe/drama/music, techy subject (graph comm, technical, computing, business, accounts) and a free choice. Highers were a total free choice as long as it fitted the school timetable. Did my S grades in 2000. 

Boris Johnson given £1m donation by former Brexit party backer

Technically it's been given to his "office" but he can draw a salary from this donation much like Theresa May does with her extra-parliamentary donations. Kinda ties in with the story that his decision not to formally enter the race against Sunak being about with protecting his earning potential.

200.gif

42 minutes ago, btb said:

Technically it's been given to his "office" but he can draw a salary from this donation much like Theresa May does with her extra-parliamentary donations. Kinda ties in with the story that his decision not to formally enter the race against Sunak being about with protecting his earning potential.

200.gif

You'd think the man would have given it directly to Sunak, cutting out the middle man when his peerage is arranged.

Walked passed the reduced section of my local store this morning. A whole loaf of bread for only 20p. Come on people, it's easy.

I mean, it was only 3 days out of date and as long as you're prepared to scrape the mould off, ignore the texture and eat it bone dry, you can feed yourself and your entire family for a month.

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

He needs a kicking.  I don’t think there would be a shortage of volunteers.

On a separate note, what sort of person would be proud to have him as their MP?

They all need physically dragged out of Westminster and battered. Utter scum.