Tory Lies, Corruption and Hypocrisy- Add Them Here

HTG

I agree the nebulous label "remainers" shouldn't be used because folk, logically, take that to mean everyone who voted remain in the referendum. So if our criticism is instead of a much more narrow group - public commentators who advocate for the UK to rejoin the EU, such as James O'Brien - then that needs made clear from the start. I do think MazzyStar's argument is coherent here, though. The likes of O'Brien should discuss EU border policy because UK will become contributory to and therefore accountable for that policy if we rejoin the EU. I'm sure that is MazzyStar's point rather than that O'Brien wanting the UK to rejoin the EU somehow disqualifies him from criticising UK border policy.

There's a suggestion in reply above that the EU's external borders are fully the domain of the relevant national governments. Historically that was the case but no longer. Frontex since 2014 took over from the Italian government in administering the Italian portion of the Mediterranean, which is where the vast majority of migrant crossings from Africa go through. Migrant crossings from Asia all go through Greek waters and while the Greek government is active in enforcing its own policy in them, Frontex gives direct assistance. Frontex is awful, just swap Fabrice Leggeri for Suella Braverman.

9 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Sunak’s boat policy is like Trump’s wall; nothing to do with addressing an issue, everything to do with appealing to the most morally devoid of the electorate.

Unfortunately the boat policy will play well with some red wall voters and the Tories know it.  The opposition parties better come up with a viable narrative as to how they will deal with immigration  because the 'lefty lawyer' stuff Sunak used at PMQs is going to resonate with some of the electorate.  Expect a bump in the polls, they’re masters at this shit.

In decades of adult life, if I can be sure of one thing, it is that the Tories will find a novel way to fekk things up.

I fully expect that about a year after they manage to shoehorn hundreds of poor souls into some African country (why stop there... there must be loads of room in the British Antarctic Territory?) some religious nutjob or scunnered General will stage a coup there and they'll all demand asylum in Britain, who of course sent the poor souls there in the first place. 

You heard it here first. 

12 hours ago, Angus_Don said:

Unfortunately the boat policy will play well with some red wall voters and the Tories know it.  The opposition parties better come up with a viable narrative as to how they will deal with immigration  because the 'lefty lawyer' stuff Sunak used at PMQs is going to resonate with some of the electorate.  Expect a bump in the polls, they’re masters at this shit.

Absolutely no coincidence that this already existing issue has suddenly become the front-running issue immediately after the Tory WhatsApp scandal. 

A simple deflection tactic, but I fear it'll work due to it tugging at the heart-strings of the majority of middle- to old-aged Britons regardless of their previous political leanings.  Worked with Brexit, which was in a large part driven by 'Keep Britain British' xenophobia.

Nobody commenting on the absolute clusterfuck of the new immigration policy.

we now officially live in a fascist state, willing to ignore international law. 

The Gories have ground us all down so much that we are now willing to accept this shit, I feel like I’m immune to it now too, what have we become? 

Economy grew by 0.3pc in January. On the face of it good news. The govt then goes on to say it was driven by

"Growth was fuelled by school attendance after more parents pulled children out of school at the end of 2022"

I've read some B4llsh1t gduring this mobs tenure but that is right up there !

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Economy grew by 0.3pc in January. On the face of it good news. The govt then goes on to say it was driven by

"Growth was fuelled by school attendance after more parents pulled children out of school at the end of 2022"

I've read some B4llsh1t gduring this mobs tenure but that is right up there !

Richard Nixon once boasted that while inflation was still rising, and the rate at which it was rising was still increasing, the rate of the increase itself was falling.

On 09/03/2023 at 12:22, HTG said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64901985

Wonder when they'll define "delayed". 

Worked it out last night that you could build ferries out of Fergusons yard and lay them end to end for the first 60 miles of the HS2 route for the same cost (assuming it does not now skyrocket from more recent £100bn estimates)

Which story gets more promnence in the media - a couple of life-line ferries to Scottish Islands costing approx £200m or a train line that gets you to Birmingham from London 20 minutes quicker in 2035 than you can at present for £100bn?

£100bn in £10 notes piled high reaches 1,000km* !! Maybe they are making the tracks and trains out of currency paper mache?

* £1m is 10m high, £1bn is 10km high therefor £100bn is 1,000km or 610 miles high - this is mind blowing.....

On 08/03/2023 at 12:18, FreedomFarter said:

I agree the nebulous label "remainers" shouldn't be used because folk, logically, take that to mean everyone who voted remain in the referendum. So if our criticism is instead of a much more narrow group - public commentators who advocate for the UK to rejoin the EU, such as James O'Brien - then that needs made clear from the start. I do think MazzyStar's argument is coherent here, though. The likes of O'Brien should discuss EU border policy because UK will become contributory to and therefore accountable for that policy if we rejoin the EU. I'm sure that is MazzyStar's point rather than that O'Brien wanting the UK to rejoin the EU somehow disqualifies him from criticising UK border policy.

There's a suggestion in reply above that the EU's external borders are fully the domain of the relevant national governments. Historically that was the case but no longer. Frontex since 2014 took over from the Italian government in administering the Italian portion of the Mediterranean, which is where the vast majority of migrant crossings from Africa go through. Migrant crossings from Asia all go through Greek waters and while the Greek government is active in enforcing its own policy in them, Frontex gives direct assistance. Frontex is awful, just swap Fabrice Leggeri for Suella Braverman.

I appreciate that you’re being all reconciliatory here but a “remainer” is someone who wanted the UK to remain in the EU.

As we are no longer in the EU we can’t possibly remain there now.

If people want to get all bent out of shape about people who are advocating rejoining the EU then they’ll have to come up with some better terminology to describe these people. 

18 hours ago, GordonD said:

Gary Lineker did and the shit hit the fan.

and conveniently this has become the story rather than the ludicrous immigration policy.  If only good at one thing, the right wing press (pretty much all the press) are expert at diverting attention away from real issues

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I appreciate that you’re being all reconciliatory here but a “remainer” is someone who wanted the UK to remain in the EU.

As we are no longer in the EU we can’t possibly remain there now.

If people want to get all bent out of shape about people who are advocating rejoining the EU then they’ll have to come up with some better terminology to describe these people. 

Fully agree.