Tory Lies, Corruption and Hypocrisy- Add Them Here

HTG

Usual excellent Guardian column from Stewart Lee

Thanks to Nadhim Zahawi, the Tories’ bar of shame has reached new depths | Stewart Lee | The Guardian

He hits the nail on the head when he questions whether Zahawi who claimed expenses to heat his horses stable is really the sorta guy who is careless with his personal finances and again when he asks what constitutes a resigning matter these days, dishonest or careless - I'm old enough to remember when either would have been enough.

Edited by btb

If Zahawi is telling the truth, and his penalty was for carelessness and if the reported 30% is right (both big "ifs") then we can infer that he has been as unco-operative as it is possible to be. 

When he says his conduct was "careless" and not "deliberate" these describe his behaviour in relation to whether he deliberately applied the law wrongly, nor whether he deliberately tried to avoid tax. 

Usually, where a taxpayer has taken professional advice on an avoidance scheme, they'll have taken reasonable care and not pay a penalty if the scheme doesn't work. 

Where penalties are charged it's usually because the scheme hasn't been implemented properly. There will be a list of instructors to follow to make the scheme work and failing to follow them is careless. 

It can be careless if the taxpayer does things on practice that the scheme paperwork says doesn't happen, eg if someone controls or benefits from a trust they aren't supposed to. A "careless" penalty doesn't rule out dishonesty. 

I strongly suspect that there would have been a faction within hmrc arguing for deliberate penalties, and that an amount of influence has been brought to bear. 

Tl-dr-He has deliberately tried to avoid tax, no question. If 30% is right he has been as obstructive as possible. 

I seem to remember Lester Piggott going to jail for tax fraud in the region of £3m.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/may/29/lester-piggott-obituary

"Meanwhile, Piggott split with Cecil in 1984 following a rift with the Wildenstein family, a leading force in French racing, who demanded that other jockeys should ride their horses. Piggott spent what he intended to be his final year as a jockey riding as a freelance, and brought down the curtain at Nottingham on 29 October 1985. He was granted a licence to train under Jockey Club rules and set up his new business at the Eve Lodge Stables, Newmarket, which he had built several years earlier.

Within three months his world was to fall apart. His home was raided by police and Inland Revenue officers, and accounts and documents were seized. He was arrested and charged with making a false statement, and in October 1987 the case came to court at Ipswich.

There were 10 charges, alleging that Piggott had failed to declare income of more than £3m on which he had evaded tax of around £1.7m. He was found guilty and sentenced to three years’ imprisonment, a record for tax evasion. He spent his incarceration at Highpoint prison, near Haverhill, less than 20 miles from Newmarket, and was released after 12 months.

While Piggott was in prison, the racing stable was managed by his wife, Susan (nee Armstrong), the daughter of a Newmarket trainer, whom he had married in 1960. She continued to hold the training licence upon his release. Piggott was outwardly unemotional throughout his ordeal, but was bitterly hurt by the withdrawal of his OBE."

17 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

The fact that Sunak is allowing him to remain in post whilst being investigated for a fucking massive fraud i think tells us that there will be absolutely no consequences for Zahawi whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

The fact that Cormack is allowing him to remain in post whilst being  a fucking massive fraud i think tells us that there will be absolutely no consequences for Goodwin whatsoever. 

FTFY

Just watched a clip of an interview between Kay Burley and a tax expert and I have to say, the whole Zahawi affair stinks.

I spent a good part of my working life settling tax problems for clients with HMRC , at a much lower level I may add, but if he’s had a 30% penalty added as is suggested, then it’s quite serious.

I love people starting businesses and making loads of money but please, please just pay your taxes. There will still be plenty left over.

23 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Just watched a clip of an interview between Kay Burley and a tax expert and I have to say, the whole Zahawi affair stinks.

I spent a good part of my working life settling tax problems for clients with HMRC , at a much lower level I may add, but if he’s had a 30% penalty added as is suggested, then it’s quite serious.

I love people starting businesses and making loads of money but please, please just pay your taxes. There will still be plenty left over.

But. This is just your Tories ideology. Greedy, corrupt, cheating barstewards. Utter scum.

4 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Mikel Arteta will get sacked before Nadim Zahawi does. He'll likely "resign" and earn his place in the House of Lords for doing the honourable thing, or some shite.

1 hour ago, Highlandmagar said:

But. This is just your Tories ideology. Greedy, corrupt, cheating barstewards. Utter scum.

Nonsense.

Entrepreneurship, wealth creation, aspiration, productive activity.

Amongst such a cohort, you’re obviously going to get some wrong-uns but that’s a price well worth paying.

Amongst teachers, social workers, civil servants, you’re not going to find that sort of thing but plenty of other things.

23 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Entrepreneurship

Entrepreneurship is coming up with great new ideas that benefit mankind and serve to make life easier for people overall. I can't say that Rishi Sunak, Boris Johnson, Michael Gove or Jacob Rees-Mogg are the first people who spring to mind...

24 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

wealth creation

Wealth isn't "created", it's distributed. They certainly know how to redistribute the wealth into their own pockets though.

aspiration

Well they're certainly very ambitious. So ambitious in fact that they're prepared to step over anybody to get what they want,. As long as they benefit personally, screw everybody else eh?

productive activity.

13 years of Conservative Government and the UK has some of the worst productivity levels on record. It would seem that stagnating wages and the stripping away of workers rights, shockingly, doesn't make them want to work harder.

3 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

You have to ask where the depth of tory fraud and corruption lies, is there any end to their audacity as they continue to steal from the taxpayer, you and me.

How any right thinking person could vote for these bottom feeders is beyond me.

Zahawi's thievery is in the Mone multi million figures, he sets up YouGov and shares in the company totalling £27 Million which is transferred to his fathers name in an offshore Gibralter account and then the £27 Million is then transferred back to Zahawi as a legitimate transaction and hidden to avoid tax.

The great train robbery pales into nothing compared to this thief.

He needs to be jailed, end of, but would that stop other tories, I doubt it.

8 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Why does 'aspiration' always = money (or valuable assets)?

Why the f**k should owning a roof over your own head, for example, even be an 'aspiration'? 

Don't you get it m8? The tories have given this generation so much to aspire towards.

They did so by turning basic human rights and necessities into aspirations, but still.