Tory Lies, Corruption and Hypocrisy- Add Them Here

HTG

19 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

It's a nice idea, that electing Scottish Labour MPs would drag the party to the left, but to get them there they will have to stand be elected and therefore endorse the current right of centre platform.  

And then we can look at who might lead the party post Starmer or be in his cabinet.  Nandy, Streeting,  Cooper and Burnham, who all could easily be mistaken for 1 nation Tories. Infinitely more credible than Corbyns gang of Burgon, Gardiner and Piddock etc, I grant you but the same issues that plague UK politics as whole, plague Labour. Scotland just doesn't matter. And, a generous, possibility of 10 new SLab grifters just marking time until ermine day, is not going to change that. 

I get that Labour is in a bad place and that Scottish input won't change that much. 

My question is really if next referendum is for the Union, what then?

Does the SNP replace Labour as a mainstream centre left option in Scotland even if its main reason for existing has gone?

Although that might not have a huge impact on the UK govt it might still have an impact. 

From responses on here it looks like people are turned off Labour by more than just Unionism, which is understandable. 

Just now, coprolite said:

I get that Labour is in a bad place and that Scottish input won't change that much. 

My question is really if next referendum is for the Union, what then?

Does the SNP replace Labour as a mainstream centre left option in Scotland even if its main reason for existing has gone?

Although that might not have a huge impact on the UK govt it might still have an impact. 

From responses on here it looks like people are turned off Labour by more than just Unionism, which is understandable. 

I've no idea what would happen to Scottish or UK politics if that happens and there would be a potential vacuum Labour could maybe fill. 

But the bit in bold is spot on. I didn't leave Labour, Labour left me etc etc.  

Is nobody else going to speak about the SNP move to the right?  

All the Snp members happy to let that happen. 

Keep paying your dues, enjoy having your local branch reps overuled.  Conference decisions overuled. 

Remember, we are watching.  Snp members this is all on you. 

1 hour ago, Kenneth840 said:

Keep paying your dues, enjoy having your local branch reps overuled.  Conference decisions overuled. 

The SNP must have lost a huge number of members over the last few years, Kenneth.

I've always considered the SNP's to be more right-wing than Labour's.  Their rhetoric is left, but they never truly back it up in policy.

The general feedback I get from people friends is that the SNP don't care about independence and they are too comfy in their positions on the gravy train, just like Labour used to be.  Also that it's authoritarian and controlling, much like you've described when you mention overulings.

I take it the SNP don't release membership numbers?

Are you a member of Alba?

Edited by Duries Air Freshener

8 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

The SNP must have lost a huge number of members over the last few years, 

I take it the SNP don't release membership numbers?

Wrong on both counts. Seriously, what is the point of spouting bollocks that can be Googled in literally 5 seconds when you apparently wish to be taken seriously? 

4 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Wrong on both counts. Seriously, what is the point of spouting bollocks that can be Googled in literally 5 seconds when you apparently wish to be taken seriously? 

I was only expressing my opinion ma freen'.

Can you provide a link detailing membership numbers to help me educate my unserious self?

1 minute ago, carpetmonster said:

The first link gives a number from 2019?

I don't believe for one second the SNP has 119000 members like the Wiki page claims.  Wings Over Bath did a piece on their membership a while back.

I reckon we're actually closer to 80,000.

Wings Over Scotland | (Running) away from the numbers

It reminds me of the comical figures AUOB try to claim! :D

8 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

The first link gives a number from 2019?

I don't believe for one second the SNP has 119000 members like the Wiki page claims.  Wings Over Bath did a piece on their membership a while back.

I reckon we're actually closer to 80,000.

Wings Over Scotland | (Running) away from the numbers

It reminds me of the comical figures AUOB try to claim! :D

The wiki page doesn’t claim, it asserts that that was the number given to the Electoral Commission by the SNP. 

If you reckon Stuart Campbell is a better source of information, then that’s your prerogative. You may do well to remember Stuart Campbell has continued to blame Liverpool fans for Hillsborough even since the Inquiry cleared them, and that it has been adjudged that his word and reputation are worth f**k all in a court of law. 

Edited by carpetmonster

9 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

The wiki page doesn’t claim, it asserts that that was the number given to the Electoral Commission by the SNP. 

If you reckon Stuart Campbell is a better source of information, then that’s your prerogative. You may do well to remember Stuart Campbell has continued to blame Liverpool fans for Hillsborough even since the Inquiry cleared them, and that it has been adjudged that his word and reputation are worth f**k all in a court of law. 

He has explained the methodology behind his figure quite well to be honest.

What his opinions on Hillsborough has to do with it is anybody's guess.

2 hours ago, Kenneth840 said:

That peat bog grant does sound like a good deal for land owners. 

Privatising stuff is usually associated with the right wing historically but isn't necessarily. In my opinion, If the government can do social things with the money and there's realistic competition that means the social output of the subject business isn't compromised, then there’s no reason not to privatise. Strongly suspect that's not the case with the ferries though. 

But that blog article, holy shit. Not sure what he heard at his morningside/ kelvinside dinner parties in 2006 is robust evidence of what he's claiming. Desperate, desperate stuff from the author there. 

13 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Not really.

What would help would be you refuting his SNP membership with reason and logic.

In your own time..

Yes really. 

When the 'methodology' comes from someone completely unbeholden to facts or truth, then it's entirely impossible to treat such with reason or logic. It's in much the same vein as characters in Tex Avery cartoons can inflate themselves and fly away from danger by putting their thumb in their mouth and blowing. 

1 hour ago, Girth said:

Lets be honest pal, it's highly unlikely you have any mates. 

1 hour ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

See above for a prime example of the lack of awareness I was referring to.

Nothing screams 'I have a healthy and fulfilling social life' than it being 8pm on a Saturday evening and being on the politics board of a football forum stanning for Stuart Campbell. 

3 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Yes really. 

When the 'methodology' comes from someone completely unbeholden to facts or truth, then it's entirely impossible to treat such with reason or logic. It's in much the same vein as characters in Tex Avery cartoons can inflate themselves and fly away from danger by putting their thumb in their mouth and blowing. 

He's literally lifting his data from the SNP accounts mate.

6 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

healthy and fulfilling social life' than it being 8pm on a Saturday evening and being on the politics board of a football forum stanning for Stuart Campbell. 

It's 8PM and you're here too, so we must be in the same boat.  Hopefully it's not the 'Glen Sannox' :D