Tory Lies, Corruption and Hypocrisy- Add Them Here

HTG

9 hours ago, Ric said:

She is in the Lords just now, because that's how power and privilege works, and technically there is no requirement for the party leader to be an MP. 

Technically not but it is understood that the PM is usually the leader of the (biggest) party.

Since the Parliamentary reforms of 1911 limiting the power of the House of Lords the PM has been a sitting MP.

When MacMillan resigned in 1963 the Tories chose the Earl of Home (Alec Douglas-Home) as leader. He renounced his peerage using the recently passed Peerage Act (Tony Benn did the same) and was chosen to be a candidate for Kinross and West Perthshire whose MP had just snuffed it handily.

It was viewed by some as sharp practice and there was a feeling this may have been a contributory factor to Labour winning the 1964 General Election.

Given this history it is something the Tories are unlikely to repeat.

If he apologises about attending parties he's toast as he's already lied about their being none in the commons. I don't think he'll be in the job at the end of today. The only person that can save him is Cressida Dick. If they launch an investigation it puts the in house one on hold.

Just now, dirty dingus said:

If he apologises about attending parties he's toast as he's already lied about their being none in the commons. I don't think he'll be in the job at the end of today. The only person that can save him is Cressida Dick. If they launch an investigation it puts the in house one on hold.

Maybe Cressida Dick would be better launching into an investigation of the police officers who were on duty at the time but did nothing to enforce the law.

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Maybe Cressida Dick would be better launching into an investigation of the police officers who were on duty at the time but did nothing to enforce the law.

That boot's up to her neck in it also. She's under pressure too as the Good Law Project are taking her to court for not investigating the parties previously.

Edited by dirty dingus

Johnson will absolutely brass this out. At worst he will suffer a temporary dip in the polls. Tory voters are a deeply unpleasant collection of sycophant, cucks and bigots. Indeed most of these losers would happily welcome Bojo into their homes to pump their wives and probably hand him a towel and a nice cup of tea afterwards. It doesn't help of course that Labour are led by a man with less charisma than a kitchen worktop who is as likely to score a series of own goals that would make Frank Sinclair blush as he is to land any significant blows on Johnson. 

The Conservative government are openly taking the utter piss out of the electorate but a few well placed dog whistles at "wokeism" and brown people in dinghies will see them home again next time round.

What a time to be alive.

What’s his route to getting away with it here? Claim the previous denials about parties were solely the specific party mentioned by Stratton in that video, so he didn’t lie to Parliament, and grovel a bit for going to the 20th May one, but claim it was a work bubble and outside so it didn’t matter? Or just hide behind Sue Gray not saying he should resign even though it isn’t her place, and waiting for the Met to inevitably refuse to take action?

And in unrelated news declare Covid measures are over/tax cuts/wokies to be sent to government classes/dinghies to be torpedoed?

Who did Martin Reynolds have in mind reference his use of "we" rather than "I" in that leaked email?
Also why do we have to wait for the enquiry to complete before it can be established whether BoJo was there or not. Weren't fines of up to 10K being dished out around that time for organisers of large parties? Just how complicit in all this was BJ? Will he confirm at tomorrow's PMQs whether he was at that party or not?

"Hi all,

"After what has been an incredibly busy period we thought it would be nice to make the most of the lovely weather and have some socially distanced drinks in the No10 garden this evening.

"Please join us from 6pm and bring your own booze!"

It’s the sheer arrogance of that email, that cuts to the core here.
‘We thought it would be nice to make the most of the lovely weather’.
Wtf, when the rest of the country were being told they couldn’t share a cuppa over the garden fence with neighbours, along with a stern threat of prosecution and a hefty fine for congregating outside if they did.
Get the fu*kin lot of em in the sea., horrible people.

I think he's done for this time.

Not only is there no right answer available to him today, but there's not even a better one.

If he tries humble apology, he's admitting to breaking the law and lying to the house.

If he doesn't, he's insulting everyone, further enraging public and back bench opinion.

I might be wrong, but I cannot see how he comes through this.

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Not only is there no right answer available to him today, but there's not even a better one.

If he tries humble apology, he's admitting to breaking the law and lying to the house.

If he doesn't, he's insulting everyone, further enraging public and back bench opinion.

I agree. 

There’s enough people in the Tory party who see this as their moment to oust him too. That email has absolutely killed him imo. 

Thing is, the press new about this, the MPs knew about this, it's only when the public get a whiff and those MPs have to face the wrath of their constituents or possible loss at the ballot box does it suddenly become an issue. That is fucking shocking.

My biggest concern is purely from an independence position, I couldn't give two shits who leads any English party. Removal of Johnson will likely see an uptick in tory support up here, and would leave us in the same position that Westminster continually blocks Article 30. The tories will claim that we need to deal with covid (despite there being elections during that time) before dealing with independence, then they'll claim their new leader needs time to settle and that we need to wait for that, by then we'll be close to the next Holyrood election and the tories will give the "you don't have a mandate because you might not win the next election".

All in all, we'll get screwed and the tories will remain in power because a large part of the English electorate has no problems with bigotry, xenophobia and arrogant privilege. In fact, in many places, promoting those things as a positive.

Just now, doulikefish said:

Hancock the first to declare he is in self isolation today 🤣

Radio Scotland is reporting that not a single Conservative politician is available for comment, not a single Scottish tory, not a single Westminster story.

9 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

It shows you the mindset of a Tory when they’re willing to risk everything to go to a work Christmas party.

Absolute wrong’uns.

They won't have seen it as any sort of a risk. They'll have heard the rules being announced in the context of them being rules for the little people that wouldn't impact the likes of them. Like tax laws, corporate governance or controls on spending public money. 

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think apologising is the best bet. He lies to the house all the time and Tory MPs are fine with it. The apology would give MPs something to tell their constituents as well. Some voters might start to reason ' I didn't stick to the rules all the time as well, I suppose'. 

I fear Johnson isn't as fucked as we might think. Added to the fact in about two weeks England might be teh first bit of a developed country without any restrictions, and he might hang on and get their poll lead back.