Tory Lies, Corruption and Hypocrisy- Add Them Here

HTG

The cherry on the top of the Eighties/Nineties Tory era was the eventual revelation that John Major was banging Edwina Currie.

Everyone around him indulging in Bacchanalian orgies of every variety, and Mr Grey of Family Values fame decides to partake in some queasy socks-on adultery with the Conservative Party's embarrassing answer to Jackie Collins. Depressing and nauseating at the same time.

Noticeable no mention of any SNP peccadillos but they’re not as funny or as entertaining as the Tory ones.

One that comes to mind was the minister (his name escapes me) who had a thing for doing it whilst wearing a Chelsea strip.

Just remembered - David Mellor. That is class.

10 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Noticeable no mention of any SNP peccadillos but they’re not as funny or as entertaining as the Tory ones.

One that comes to mind was the minister (his name escapes me) who had a thing for doing it whilst wearing a Chelsea strip.

Just remembered - David Mellor. That is class.

That would be like comparing apples and oranges.

If you don't believe me, just ask Stephen Milligan.

Also, this is the Tory lies, corruption, and hypocrisy thread. And Tory sleaze stopped being funny sometime after the 1992 election.

Perhaps another thread for all the other parties would be worthwhile, but the Tories need one of their own. Anyone else's would be drowned out in a single thread.

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

The cherry on the top of the Eighties/Nineties Tory era was the eventual revelation that John Major was banging Edwina Currie.

Everyone around him indulging in Bacchanalian orgies of every variety, and Mr Grey of Family Values fame decides to partake in some queasy socks-on adultery with the Conservative Party's embarrassing answer to Jackie Collins. Depressing and nauseating at the same time.

I recall Major saying that he lost his virginity to an older women in his street, did we need to know that? and then didn't Currie have an egg fiasco which saw her lose her job.

1 minute ago, SandyCromarty said:

I recall Major saying that he lost his virginity to an older women in his street, did we need to know that? and then didn't Currie have an egg fiasco which saw her lose her job.

The egg thing was in Maggie Fatcher's cabinet, when she decided to announce that all eggs were filled with deadly salmonella, then acted surprised when the sales of eggs tanked. Nothing to do with the kind of eggs you might expect a horny old Tory MP to have been involved with.

I don't remember that story about Major, and could quite happily have remained ignorant of it. I do remember some people wondering how he ended up in the Tory Party, however, and I think that probably helps to answer that question.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

The egg thing was in Maggie Fatcher's cabinet, when she decided to announce that all eggs were filled with deadly salmonella, then acted surprised when the sales of eggs tanked. Nothing to do with the kind of eggs you might expect a horny old Tory MP to have been involved with.

I don't remember that story about Major, and could quite happily have remained ignorant of it. I do remember some people wondering how he ended up in the Tory Party, however, and I think that probably helps to answer that question.

Yes John Major had an early working class background, didn't his Dad have a stage act? Maggie Thatcher's dad had a shop and Douglas Ross's father was a cattleman, there seems to be an attraction for the tories for a certain type of people.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't John Major get rid of the Royal Yacht and was he PM when Windsor Castle, owned outright by the Queen, went on fire and she asked the government to pay for the repairs and he answered we will if you start paying tax.

43 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Yes John Major had an early working class background, didn't his Dad have a stage act? Maggie Thatcher's dad had a shop and Douglas Ross's father was a cattleman, there seems to be an attraction for the tories for a certain type of people.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't John Major get rid of the Royal Yacht and was he PM when Windsor Castle, owned outright by the Queen, went on fire and she asked the government to pay for the repairs and he answered we will if you start paying tax.

From my limited knowledge of politics from that time period (was born in 94 so bit before me), Major comes across as an almost "okay" tory. 

4 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

From my limited knowledge of politics from that time period (was born in 94 so bit before me), Major comes across as an almost "okay" tory. 

He was about as close as they get to a human being.

But it's all relative. He'll still get a semi every time he sees pictures of a foodbank queue.

He was about as close as they get to a human being.
But it's all relative. He'll still get a semi every time he sees pictures of a foodbank queue.
He also said during the recession "If it isn't hurting, it isn't working".

All Tories are fucking vermin.

Just now, Day of the Lords said:

He also said during the recession "If it isn't hurting, it isn't working".

All Tories are fucking vermin.

Oh aye, I mind that now. He did like a catchphrase, thinking about it.

Folk like Major and Thatcher must have grown up detesting the people around them for being too lazy to be rich.

10 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Oh aye, I mind that now. He did like a catchphrase, thinking about it.

Folk like Major and Thatcher must have grown up detesting the people around them for being too lazy to be rich.

His best ...

When your back is against the wall, there is one thing to do and that is turn around and fight

20 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Tories aren't human.

They really are a nonentity politically in Scotland, 5 MSP's first past the post last week sums it up.

Ross will big it up in Holyrood to give the impression of power, but to what effect, they can change or demand nothing as they will be outvoted at every turn for the next five years.

As much use as an inflatable dartboard.

Edited by SandyCromarty

On 16/05/2021 at 16:40, SweeperDee said:

He's not a Lex Luthor level baddie like Thatcher nor an aristocratic buffoon like the 2010 onwards cohort. 

He was a petit bourgeois shill for the interests of capital though. I most remember him for the (as it turns out extremely hypocritical) moralising Back to Basics campaign which, in my mind anyway, focused on punishing single mothers through the benefit system for being single mothers. 

He exemplified the banality of evil. 

48 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Proper dog ate my homework levels of excuse here. You really have to say fair play, they treat the public like fucking morons, because we are.

I think the most restrained response I can make to that after a couple of wee drinkies is "Away and lie in yer ain pish".