Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

8 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Plus the 4 that aren't actually football clubs so it's a mere third of the league that's an utter shambles.

Look forward to a uni team with no fans who could be ammy level in any given year making it to the SPFL playoff. 

You haven't got a clue about the standard of University football.  The other jibe about being actual football clubs just pathetic,  League tables dont lie doh !

59 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Clubs whether like it or not seized the opportunity when it was there.

Maybes be thankful these clubs took the initiative to get the show on the road and get the league to where it is today. 

I think one of them you might be referring to were actually promoted from the SoSFL as well. 

Fans don't win games though , the Uni should they get to the play offs will have finished above 3 ex SPFL sides  who are themselves struggling to make any sort of impact in the league. 

Relegation should still be opened up though especially wi the amount of teams that are in it.

We don't need a history lesson, we all know what happened. There wouldn't have been a Beatles without Pete Best but eventually you have to empty out the dead wood.

A travelling circus, 2 uni teams and I don't even know what

Caledonian Braves can be desribed as. Well done to all of them but lets not pretend thats the optimum state of affairs for T5 in Scottish football and that B Teams are the only issue.

Instead of defending it, if it was my team I'd be demanding extra relegation places to give the league some sort of credibility.

Tinpot would be the word to describe it.

21 minutes ago, ekok said:

You haven't got a clue about the standard of University football.  The other jibe about being actual football clubs just pathetic,  League tables dont lie doh !

The league tables have teams with a century of history, rooted in the heart of their communities l. playing to four figure crowds below teams playing in cages in country parks so they sort of do.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

We don't need a history lesson, we all know what happened. 

A travelling circus, 2 uni teams and I don't even know what

Caledonian Braves can be desribed as. Well done to all of them but lets not pretend thats the optimum state of affairs for T5 in Scottish football and that B Teams are the only issue.

Instead of defending it, if it was my team I'd be demanding extra relegation places to give the league some sort of credibility.

Tinpot would be the word to describe it.

The league tables have teams with a century of history, rooted in the heart of their communities l. playing to four figure crowds below teams playing in cages in country parks so they sort of do.

Ive already stated there should be more relegations.

I'm still not convinced how crowd wanking makes the league tin pot though.

Football is won on the park not by clubs rooted in communities wi bigger crowds. 

If yer small enough yer good enough just look at Dingwall and Ross County.

B teams in the league however is taking the piss. 

Edited by newcastle broon

Progress is seldom straightforward.  If you're good enough,  your good enough.  What you or your team, club or grade did or didn't do 100 years ago is interesting,  but only that. As a country we have outstanding interest,  crowds and exposure for our national game. What holds us back is absolutely self interest.  OF included.

A set up of 12/10/10/10  would shame a pub League. Maybe the B teams are not perfect,  but lots of other countries have made a success of the concept.  Bottom line is OF are going to continue to dominate our game. 

With or without B teams I defy anyone to tell me when anyone else will win Premier League.  So if we get any better players for National team , even just one, what is the downside?

12 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Look forward to a uni team with no fans who could be ammy level in any given year making it to the SPFL playoff. 

Stirling Uni have more or less consistently been a strong team right through from their East of Scotland days. Even if they won the play-off and got promoted, I can't imagine Scotland would be the only country who would have a university team playing in their part-time fourth tier league.

43 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Stirling Uni have more or less consistently been a strong team right through from their East of Scotland days. Even if they won the play-off and got promoted, I can't imagine Scotland would be the only country who would have a university team playing in their part-time fourth tier league.

The most obvious university team playing a high level outside of Scotland is University College Dublin, playing in the top flight in Ireland. But to be honest, I can't really think of any on the continent. In The Netherlands and Germany for example, sports unis tend to have some kind of partnership with a local non-league club with uni players playing for that club instead.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

33 minutes ago, Marten said:

The most obvious university team playing a high level outside of Scotland is University College Dublin, playing in the top flight in Ireland. But to be honest, I can't really think of any on the continent. In The Netherlands and Germany for example, sports unis tend to have some kind of partnership with a local non-league club with uni players playing for that club instead.

These are in the top Romanian league.Not sure of their history though they do look academic ?

Screenshot_20230221_121545_Chrome.jpg

7 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

These are in the top Romanian league.Not sure of their history though they do look academic ?

As far as I know, they started out as a University team but then became a "regular" football club. A bit like the Dutch team PSV (full name Philips Sport Vereniging or Philips Sports Club in English), who started out as the factory team for Philips workers, they haven't been a factory team for a very long time now, but they always kept it in their name.

Edited by Marten

1 hour ago, Marten said:

As far as I know, they started out as a University team but then became a "regular" football club. A bit like the Dutch team PSV (full name Philips Sport Vereniging or Philips Sports Club in English), who started out as the factory team for Philips workers, they haven't been a factory team for a very long time now, but they always kept it in their name.

There would be no Spartans FC today if it wasn't for a university connection. 

17 hours ago, ekok said:

Maybe the B teams are not perfect,  but lots of other countries have made a success of the concept.  Bottom line is OF are going to continue to dominate our game. 

With or without B teams I defy anyone to tell me when anyone else will win Premier League.  So if we get any better players for National team , even just one, what is the downside?

There have been many comments on this on various threads. There are at least as many arguments against B teams as for. That they will likely tilt the balance even more in favour of the OF is reason enough to object to them.

10 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I doubt it would be the end of Scottish football and I'm more concerned with some of the teams further up the pyramid but the idea of the pyramid should be to strengthen leagues.

They have been a strong team in the context of the leagues they have been playing in.

19 hours ago, ekok said:

So if we get any better players for National team , even just one, what is the downside?

You'd be right about maybe getting the one.

As part of the agreement they had to restrict the number of non-Scots in the B teams. Think they're only allowed to start 4. Rangers are playing in a youth tournament right now and started 7 based on Transfermarkt profiles.

Mason Munn - Northern Irish

Zander Hutton

Leyton Grant

Kristian Webster

Kevin Ciubotaru - Romanian

Francis Jacobs - American/English

Bailey Rice

Paul Nsio - English/DR Congo

Thompson Ishaka - Nigerian

Zak Lovelace - English

Archie Stevens - English

12 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Team Bath in England packed it in when they were told that they were ineliigble for further promotions after winning Conference South.