Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

5 hours ago, approximately dave said:

Why not just promote the champions of all three automatically and have a play off for a fourth team, all runners up and the team that finished 4th bottom of the LL to play off.

More should be done by the LL to encourage clubs who have the ambition and the set up to match not just survive in the 5th tier but turn the LL into a very competitive league underneath the SPFL, rather than all this focus on B teams who never earned their place in that league.

The problem with having the SOSL going up automatically is in its current form they'd just go straight back down the vast majority of the time, it's made even worse by the fact that the SOSL have started letting teams in from Glasgow so if you gave them an automatic promotion spot it is just letting teams take an easy path the Lowland League regardless of where they are geographically 

11 hours ago, Spyro said:

The South of Scotland League relinquished any credibility it had by accepting a 2 year old amateur team from Glasgow with no ground into their league.

They should be feeding into WoS Div 3 alongside division 4

Which team is that?

1 hour ago, amigan said:

Which team is that?

Glasgow Wellington

Really nice lads running it with crazy ambition and organising, BUT it's just another ammy team with absolutely no foundations at all... Apparently they play out of Greenfield Sport Centre

Will probably last 2-3 years until 1of them gets bored and the team fold like most other amateur teams just now. 

13 hours ago, Pollok mad said:

it's made even worse by the fact that the SOSL have started letting teams in from Glasgow so if you gave them an automatic promotion spot it is just letting teams take an easy path the Lowland League regardless of where they are geographically 

If West of Scotland teams were so concerned about the integrity of the league structure, then they shouldn't have accepted Threave Rovers jumping ship to set up an utterly ridiculous, Campbeltown-Castle Douglas division this season. 

41 minutes ago, virginton said:

If West of Scotland teams were so concerned about the integrity of the league structure, then they shouldn't have accepted Threave Rovers jumping ship to set up an utterly ridiculous, Campbeltown-Castle Douglas division this season. 

I am not taking the high ground here for the WOSL being the league that cares about sanctity of structure, just saying that giving the weakest of the three leagues an automatic place in the Lowland League isn't viable when they would just end up being an easy road into tier 5 for new teams from the central belt.

15 hours ago, Spyro said:

The South of Scotland League relinquished any credibility it had by accepting a 2 year old amateur team from Glasgow with no ground into their league.

The SoS league should not be a tier 6 league. I can see a time coming when the SFA will step in and demote them.

3 minutes ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

The SoS league should not be a tier 6 league. I can see a time coming when the SFA will step in and demote them.

This goes back to membership and who was first to join the then proposed pyramid, same in the north where the North Caledonian League was part of the SFA set up and retains level 6 despite most if not all teams being of a standard below the North Juniors top division and the Midlands League.

I'd imagine in a few years time the west might go back to some form of regionalising the lower leagues depending on how many other new clubs enter and there might be a southern division of some sorts. There would need to be some sort of incentive for clubs to leave the SoS set up and join the west. Same as there needs to be some sort of incentive for the NCL and North Juniors to merge, but there currently isn't.

It was interesting to see Threave join the West and see we will see how far up they can progress.

9 minutes ago, rockson said:

It doesn't look to be going well so far.....

It's hard to tell the quality of the WoS 4th Division. Since it's a mixed bag being the entry point for the league. Sitting 3rd in a promotion spot, only losses being to 1st, 2nd, 4th. Beating 4th in the second fixture.

I think it's going about as well as they could hope for. The Division is only playing 22 games this year, with 13 gone they'll fancy their chances of going up. Which is probably all they cared about this season.

2 hours ago, rockson said:

It doesn't look to be going well so far.....

Think Threave underestimated the potential ability of teams in the 4th. In most games they have won fairly comfortably, and in the games they have lost they have played well and just appeared to lack a competitive edge when playing teams of a better quality.

In the cups, which I appreciate aren't a reliable indicator, a number of 4th teams have had exceptional results and performances like BSC last night. 

Whichever 3 clubs are promoted it will be fun watching how they go next season against more established clubs in the 3rd. And as a footnote how will the relegated clubs fair in the 4th.

Edited by HorseyGhirl

On 25/01/2023 at 14:18, approximately dave said:

This goes back to membership and who was first to join the then proposed pyramid, same in the north where the North Caledonian League was part of the SFA set up and retains level 6 despite most if not all teams being of a standard below the North Juniors top division and the Midlands League.

I'd imagine in a few years time the west might go back to some form of regionalising the lower leagues depending on how many other new clubs enter and there might be a southern division of some sorts. There would need to be some sort of incentive for clubs to leave the SoS set up and join the west. Same as there needs to be some sort of incentive for the NCL and North Juniors to merge, but there currently isn't.

It was interesting to see Threave join the West and see we will see how far up they can progress.

Tbh I think the current set up in the North is absolutely fine until more clubs get licenced.

Given the travel in that part of the world, asking clubs like Orkney to travel to Stonehaven seems a bit silly. Maybe in 5-10 years time a HL2 will form with the best of each league and then the current T6 leagues will drop down to Tier 7 and still play locally - and in their respective regional cups against the Tier 6 and Tier 5 clubs.

But yeah, long way off that.

On 24/01/2023 at 17:27, Brazilianlex said:

A LL with no B Teams and better teams from the WOSL and EOSL would be a better league than SPFL 2 and would get better crowds and so Clubs could maximise hospitality and sponsors etc. 

Absolutely this. 

On 24/01/2023 at 22:34, Spyro said:

I'll give you Glasgow Wellington playing out of Shettleston direction and the Wosfl can have Threave Rovers from Castle Douglas.

Go figure.

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

The 3 ex-league clubs not exactly setting the heather on fire.

If relegations finally opens up a bit more from the Lowland League, certainly wouldn't be a surprise to see East Stirling end up in the EoS in the next few years and possibly one or two others over time.

4 hours ago, PossilYM said:

I'll give you Glasgow Wellington playing out of Shettleston direction and the Wosfl can have Threave Rovers from Castle Douglas.

Go figure.

It looks like a petty 'tit for tat' from the outside looking in...

SOS were pissed off the WoS accepted Threave so took on a Glasgow team in spite. 

The difference being Threave are a well established club with both EoS and LL experience, a long Scottish Cup history and a licence. While the other teams are basically a bag of balls, fancy strips and double booking from Glasgow Lesure from an embarrassing call-off

31 minutes ago, Spyro said:

It looks like a petty 'tit for tat' from the outside looking in...

SOS were pissed off the WoS accepted Threave so took on a Glasgow team in spite. 

The difference being Threave are a well established club with both EoS and LL experience, a long Scottish Cup history and a licence. While the other teams are basically a bag of balls, fancy strips and double booking from Glasgow Lesure from an embarrassing call-off

I'd be surprised if that is the case. Threave probably moved for a new challenge. They'd been in the Lowland League previously and resigned after finishing bottom so I don't think they had big ambitions for the Lowland League (nor do I think any of the current SoS clubs do).

The SoS used to get new clubs from the Dumfries & District Amateur League but that folded many years ago. They don't really have a source now for new clubs at all. Potentially a boy clubs forming an adult club or an old club reforming. They're down to just 10 first teams at the moment (plus two reserves). They're probably pretty desperate for new members and willing to accept clubs like Glasgow Wellington. They're no longer the only senior non-league in the west so they don't have much chance of the likes of Bonnyton joining as previously happened. Only real chance is a club wanting to take a shot at the Lowland League and skip the challenge of multiple promotions in the WoS.  I think they may consider accepting a club from outwith the region purely to boost the numbers rather than as some sort of revenge mission against the WoS. The problem would be if multiple clubs from Glasgow etc. apply as it would affect the current members. I can't really see it happening anyway.

Edited by stanley