Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

Let's be very clear about one thing here: I'm against colt teams and not just because it's the OF. If it wasn't the OF trying to get into the LL, but instead say Aberdeen & Dundee United into the HL, I'd be at least as strongly against it. Possibly even more as it'd be even more of a kick in the teeth for the leagues below with the HL pyramid just starting.

Thankfully the HL said no to ICT colts.

Edited by Marten

1 hour ago, Dev said:

The National team has been performing below expectations so give a the idea a chance. Decry it after 5-7 years when it maybe can be seen that it doesn't work.

Has it? Or have those expectations been set too high.? I want to see Scotland succeed as much as anybody - but I don't see how packing top division Scottish teams with foreign players can do that in any way. Or how a one year experiment will suddenly make Scotland into world beaters.

Edited by rockson

Is the colts thing to improve Celtic,Rangers youngsters OR  to make the national side better ?  (won't be both)  The OF are points ahead, whilst the colts are doing the same - how many of those will ever get a chance in the 1st team ? Usually  between 0-1 eh.  The benefits of going out on loan far outweigh the colts argument, but it seems as though money talks as usual. 

I've seen folk suggest the SPFL block off the play-off if it involves a Lowland League side, and although I see the argument, it appears a very harsh reaction.

As a compromise, maybe the SPFL should only entertain a play-off if the Highland League side prevails to face a League Two side, for one season only (2021-22).

Then review the situation from there. That seems fair.

I fully support the idea of colt teams in the Lowland and Highland League. 
I think Hearts and Hibs should have colt teams in the Lowland League. 
I am a big believer in giving young players opportunities,
The more opportunities for young players, the more players will develop, 
They play second teams of the big sides in the lower leagues in Germany, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Portugal, and Spain, 
All we hear about is getting experienced players for the international team. Well this is how to get more experienced players. 
Kenny Dalglish played for a year in the Juniors leagues, That was one of Scotland two best ever players,   
Look at the famous Motherwell side of James McFadden.. They basically threw a good chunk of their youth team into the adult game because they were in administration and it resulted in loads of great Scottish players like McFadden, Pearson, Hammell., Clarkson, all developed into top players, 
I think you could take any year in any Scottish Premier youth sides and throw them into adult football and some of them would develop into top players,
Sometimes players you would not expect. 
In the real world clubs cannot throw their entire youth teams into the first team in the Premier. They would get relegated, But this idea of second teams being allowed to play, allows teams to throw entire youth sides into competitive adult soccer,  
Some claim that they are against this idea as it might help Celtic and Rangers, Well that is a nonsense anti-Scottish argument. As the only way it can help Celtic or Rangers is that it would help them develop top young players, So you are against Celtic and Rangers producing good Scottish players. That is a disgrace,. No wonder Scotland has failed in international football, if a significant proportion of fans would rather clubs fail to produce top Scottish players out of tribal rivalry.

I support Scotland. I also support all Scottish clubs in Europe.  But we should make sure all top Scottish players develop, regardless of who they play for. 
Some people would rather the international team fail. 
Some people would rather a part time team finish 3 or 4 places higher in the league, than Scotland produce top players, 
I thought you were at it before but that post confirms it.

"Famous Motherwell side" and McFadden, Pearson, Hammel and Clarkson being top class? [emoji23]

Only McFadden played at a decent level and made a good number of appearances for Scotland. Pearson had 10 caps, Clarkson 2 and Hammell with one cap.

So pay to join to jump the tiers

very little promotion and relegation and zero prospect of it. 

charlatans in charge of lowland league that make the junior football administrators seem like clued up geniuses. 

dozens of clubs faith in the 'pyramid' already shattered beyond repair. 

all before a ball has even been kicked properly in this brave new world,  that's some going!! 

it's all went breathtakingly badly ridiculously quickly! 

Edited by arnlow

5 minutes ago, arnlow said:

Basically this harebrained idea of a 'pyramid' 

...and yet EVERY SINGLE Junior team has left that "grade" behind to join it. Says it all about how corrupt and venal what they have left behind was.

Maybe its time to let the past go and embrace the future as you are just making yourself look like a massive fud.

16 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Is the colts thing to improve Celtic,Rangers youngsters OR  to make the national side better ?  (won't be both)  The OF are points ahead, whilst the colts are doing the same - how many of those will ever get a chance in the 1st team ? Usually  between 0-1 eh.  The benefits of going out on loan far outweigh the colts argument, but it seems as though money talks as usual. 

It's to allow them to keep the "no hopers" a season longer, incase one of them does an Andy Robertson. Can't have other clubs in the country benefiting from The OF mistakes and making money off it.

99% of players aged 18+ with the potential to play for Scotland won't benefit from playing in the Lowland League. They'll be loaned out to teams higher up anyway.

25 minutes ago, Burnieman said:
44 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:
Clearly didn't get the memo as to how much it costs to get in.

That's farcical.

I'm mainly finding the humour in the catch up boys slating Brechin for doing the very same thing that the OF have just done.

49 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I'm mainly finding the humour in the catch up boys slating Brechin for doing the very same thing that the OF have just done.

The difference is their dad George likes one of the scenarios but doesn't like the other.

Here comes yer da's rant.

This reminds me of the change from authoritative figures that no one liked in the old senior hierarchy. People like Ernie Walker, Jim Farry and Peter Donald were replaced by non-entity puppets like Roger Mitchell, David Longmuir and Neil Doncaster, who have helped ruin the league. 

Unfortunately, failure to modernise left the junior structure vulnerable to take over, which until recently had been mostly good but has left the door open to the likes of Fraser and Ewing. I hope there's enough substance elsewhere in the pyramid to resist the detrimental changes we've seen recently.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Here comes yer da's rant.

This reminds me of the change from authoritative figures that no one liked in the old senior hierarchy. People like Ernie Walker, Jim Farry and Peter Donald were replaced by non-entity puppets like Roger Mitchell, David Longmuir and Neil Doncaster, who have helped ruin the league. 

Unfortunately, failure to modernise left the junior structure vulnerable to take over, which until recently had been mostly good but has left the door open to the likes of Fraser and Ewing. I hope there's enough substance elsewhere in the pyramid to resist the detrimental changes we've seen recently.

I agree with this.

the juniors only have themselves to blame, but there’s 4 clubs in the lowland who are around ten years old or less. They have an uncomfortable amount of influence over the rest of the pyramid. Without those 4 clubs voting in favour of the colts proposal it would never have passed.