Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

1 hour ago, G51 said:

The debate about the Croatian B teams just kind of sums this whole thing up. Croatian B teams haven't been playing in their leagues long enough to make a substantial difference to their national team. So claiming "Only 1 Croatian player in their WC18 squad ever played for a B team" and "B teams are why the Croation national team are so successful" are two opposing sides of the same shit argument. Both sides are trying to express their support/opposition on the basis of developing young talent, when most of the reasons for their support/opposition isn't rooted in that. The truth is, none of us really know the best approach for developing young players, because there is no definitive answer on that at the moment.

This really boils down to a couple of questions: 1) What do we want to prioritise in Scottish football? What is most important to us? and 2) What is the most efficient and effective way to develop young footballers? Do B teams have a role to play in that?

With regards to 1), I've said it a few times on here that Scottish football supporters really suffer from a lack of organisation. Never has this been more apparent than this season, when the SFA/SPFL/JRG/ScotGov have treated us like total morons and kept us out of football stadia for far longer than is necessary. We have enormous power to change the game, and we don't come anywhere close to utilising that.

But lets say we did form an organisation, say some kind of federation or congress of the supporters trusts. The absolute first thing we'd have to work out is what are our priorities? Because there's a chance that protecting the integrity of lower division clubs/competitions and developing young players to improve the national team become two contradictory aims. Your view on what the most important thing is in Scottish football - the national teams performance, success in European football, protecting the smaller teams, getting fans more of a say in what goes on, etc. - likely determines your view on whether B teams are a good idea regardless of the evidence in front of you. Right now, there isn't really any evidence either way, which allows people to simply draw lazy parallels to other leagues and say "They do X, so should we".

Which brings me on to 2), which is - why do we not have a consensus view on what the best way to develop youth players is? Well, part of that is there might not be one true way - there's likely different approaches that suit different sizes of clubs. Maybe it's the case that for Rangers and Celtic, B teams are the most effective way for doing that because they can afford to simply implement a professional structure around a B team. For Hibs/Hearts/Aberdeen, maybe strategic partnerships work better because B teams are too expensive, while for St Johnstone, Dundee Utd etc. the best thing to do is to stick them into the first team,because it's a significantly less pressurised environment and they're afforded the room to develop.

But the other reason we don't have a consensus view is because we haven't tried to develop one. What's stopping the SFA from hiring a company of data analysts and telling them to figure out what the best way to develop young players are? If we really want to figure this out, shouldn't we... try to figure it out?

This is a very sensible post.

What I'd say though is that nobody here is using Croatia as evidence that colts don't work. Because, as you say, that would be an utterly stupid argument to make. We're only rebutting the argument that Croatia is evidence that colts do work. Which is, of course, an even dumber argument to make.

13 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Stevie Gerrard supports an initiative that his employer has suggested. Hardly going to be objective about it, is he?

Mark Warburton was against it when he was in charge.

“I care passionately about elite youth development and whatever structure they decide to put in place has got to give the elite young talent in Scotland the best possible chance of making it through to the first team and then on to successful international careers.

“If they are saying, go and play in the Lowland League first, then in one fell swoop that argument has gone.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-boss-mark-warburton-insists-9480621

I'm sure people will now dismiss his opinion on youth development because Stevie G has been a more successful first team manager, or  come to the conclusion that the Lowland League is magically better than it was back then making it worthwhile now.

2 minutes ago, Ironside8 said:
59 minutes ago, drs said:
That is so embarrassing, basically admitting the 2 Glasgow teams  can rim the "Braves" any time they want.

The lowland league is deid get over it

Remind me what Junior games you'll be seeing this upcoming season?

You let your "grade" die, how embarrassing.

34 minutes ago, TommyLeePwns said:

Mmm, I remember it well. There was a decent amount of noise going on about bringing youth and copying the Ajax model etc. First time we fielded a team of kids and they went in at 0-0 at half time, they got slaughtered by the fans. 

Whole idea was scrapped. Fans don't help their own cause at times. 

When Rangers were reborn the 1st team they put out at Peterhead had i think 9 International players in it, hardly giving youth a chance.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's not about developing youngsters. Rangers had about 20 out on loan this season at a higher level than this, so I doubt some friendlies against Vale of Leven is adding anything at all.

Its so they can hoard youngsters for as long as possible. In their mind if they can get into L2 then it allows them an Andy Robertson scenario, except he's contracted to them when he breaks through instead of having been released years ago to make way for others.

No need to drag Vale of Leven into this!

1 hour ago, BS7 said:

Come a years time, and its another vote whether to keep the old firm colts and go to 16 teams, I think there will be considerable squealing from those extra clubs relegated.

As members of the LL I would assume that the gruesome twosome will be granted full voting rights so this could well end up on the table.  The irony would be delicious if say Edufart, Gretna & Berwick got dumped AND the three feeder leagues refused to admit them.

The Final Reckoning...

GOOD GUYS

Bonnyrigg Rose

Civil Service Strollers

Bo'ness United

Edinburgh University

Dalbeattie Star

WANKS

Berwick Rangers

Caledonian Braves

The Shire

Vale of Leithen

Stirling University

Gretna 2008

BSC Alloa

East Kilbride

GFR

Spartans

Cumbernauld C**ts

GOOD WANKS

Kelty Hearts (abstained)

Pleased with the composition of the FTOF Five.

Bonnyrigg are a local(ish) team to me, and one I always hope do well.

Edinburgh Uni is where I studied, but much more importantly, there's the home baking at the pie hut. They also do a good programme, and I can't think of a ground with a better view of a dormant volcano.

CSS I've grown a wee soft spot for over the years. I might have struck lucky, but they've been involved in some of the more exciting games I've seen in the LL. They've been a beacon throughout this, and I'll be going back to visit them soonest.

Dalbeattie is one of the only LL grounds* I haven't been to, and will now make a point of visiting to reward their good sense and decency.

Bo'ness I'm not so fussed about either way, but well done to them anyway.

(* The other ground I haven't been to is EK, and they'll be seeing none of my money, the callous sharks.)

Just on the off chance, if anyone would like to donate a ticket to the Star...

https://donateaticket.com/donate/dalbeattie-star/

After Queens shitting the bed with Rangers vote in 2012, it’s great to have at least one team I follow making a stand against these things.

Edited by Adamski