Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

10 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The majority of the LL isn't special.

True.  However they do have experience on there side.

the 2019 youth cup winners. And where they are currently playing.

Lewis Budinauckas(Civil service)

Nathan patterson(Rangers)

james maxwell (qots)

Ben williamson(arbroath)

Daniel Finlayson(St Mirren, little game time)

Kyle McClelland(failkirk, no games despite them being horrendous)

Dapo Mebude(qots)

Ciaran Dickson(qots)

Nathan Young-Coombes (no first team football)

Kai Kennedy (raith rovers)

Josh McPake (harogate, morton loan cut short)

Remember that was 2 years ago, so these guys are playing significantly above the level they would have been at that time.  

2 hours ago, AlansHotBath said:

Just got round to listening to the Catch-up interview. Thought the hosts did softball Fraser I'm not really sure what people expected, if you are not a professional journalist (which afaik none of them are) it's far easier to come across as a raging prat than a forceful interviewer who can get decent answers. There was a lot of dismissal of concerns at the end which was disappointing.  

Anyway, nothing really new that hadn't been churned over on here, and it didn't change my opinion at all. I do somewhat understand his position - he probably knows more than anyone on here about how likely it is that we'll see Colts in the SPFL in the next few years, and so he's trying to grab a bit of cash beforehand. I think Fraser is genuine in trying to improve the League and raise its profile, and thinks that having Colt teams is a quick way to do it, but I think he's also chuffed about having people from big clubs talk to him and read his emails (like getting assurances from the OF that there will be 2 officials from the clubs at each game - who in their right mind would care aside from the LL board members who want to feel like big deals rubbing shoulders with someone in a Celtic or Rangers tie, give me a break). 

Having mulled it over for a few days, there really isn't a situation where I or a significant number of fans (aside from those who've decided their club is 'innovative' or 'modernising' and that anything they do is therefore worthwhile) will be in favour of this, but I think it will happen. Clubs will want the entry money, the potential of extra fans through the gate, and as I said above I think Fraser will get across the idea that it will be for a year, not because Colts will play here for a bit and then just go back to a reserve league, but because they are moving further up the pyramid. 

I've been taking this all in but been too busy nervously watching Kelty to post (thankfully that's going well at the moment!).  The above post really hit the nail on the head for me.  I don't think the colts is a great idea overall, although there are some obvious benefits financially short term, it's too damaging to a lot of momentum built from tier 6 upwards over the last few years. George Fraser is doing his job as I see it, whether you agree or not, and although most of us disagree the clubs views will be interesting.  Having met him a few times I think he will genuinely be trying to get a good deal for the LL and isn't likely to be shafting anyone (deliberately anyway). As much as it would be great to see some Kelty vs Colts games I'd still be against it for the bigger picture view and damage it is likely to do.

Isn't it the case that many LL clubs remain members of the EoS and SoS football associations? With such a strong statement coming out from the League side although effectively the same organisations, you would imagine those clubs have to pay attention or risk being kicked out the associations if ignore this and vote for the colts

Edited by morley

Brilliant statement from the WoS/EoS/SoS. Well done.

I'm extremely disappointed in the Lowland League and I honestly think they've damaged their reputation. The idea that the Old Firm colts can simply buy their way into tier 5 when there's only one relegation spot from the Lowland League open to those in tier 6 (and no spots this season) is crazy. 

What's the point in a pyramid system if cash can buy you a place higher up than the bottom tier? This shouldn't be happening and it does no favours whatsoever to the Lowland League to anyone looking in.

41 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

True.  However they do have experience on there side.

the 2019 youth cup winners. And where they are currently playing.

Lewis Budinauckas(Civil service)

Nathan patterson(Rangers)

james maxwell (qots)

Ben williamson(arbroath)

Daniel Finlayson(St Mirren, little game time)

Kyle McClelland(failkirk, no games despite them being horrendous) Ehhhh 7 starts (including the game at Parkhead) + 1 sub appearance, my Fifer pal.

Dapo Mebude(qots)

Ciaran Dickson(qots)

Nathan Young-Coombes (no first team football)

Kai Kennedy (raith rovers)

Josh McPake (harogate, morton loan cut short)

Remember that was 2 years ago, so these guys are playing significantly above the level they would have been at that time.  

I think that this proposal is George Fraser's first major mistake in charge of the LL and that he has misjudged the mood of the other clubs in the pyramid.  He would be better served by extending the LL to 20 teams for next season by inviting the best licensed EOS sides from last season, Jeanfield, Tranent, LTHV and Linlithgow, (assuming Kelty goes up).  You could then relegate 4 and promote 2 for the next two seasons (one from EOS and one from WOS, assuming that the SOS participant in any payoff loses to the stronger leagues), to get back to the optimum 16 team league.  That would also have the benefit of accelerating the period for the weaker teams in the LL to find their correct level for their ability.

2 minutes ago, andrew21 said:

Looks to me that most of the points in the statement have been answered already.

In an official capacity to those involved in those leagues though....it appears that step has been missed completely.

The Lowland could argue that its a members league, however they must have known it would create massive division/rifts further down the pyramid and they should have pre-empted that by engaging/writing to them in an official capacity to allay any potential fears in advance.

Mismanagement on this from start to finish, and as has been alluded to above, an incredible lack of awareness when it comes to reading the room.

10 minutes ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

In an official capacity to those involved in those leagues though....it appears that step has been missed completely.

The Lowland could argue that its a members league, however they must have known it would create massive division/rifts further down the pyramid and they should have pre-empted that by engaging/writing to them in an official capacity to allay any potential fears in advance.

Mismanagement on this from start to finish, and as has been alluded to above, an incredible lack of awareness when it comes to reading the room.

I know Scottish football fans are generally outraged about everything and anything but is it really that big a deal? 

12 minutes ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

I'd expect the LL rules as they stand only permit promotion from the winners of a play off of SOSL v EOSL v WOSL - so it would take a rule change to push this through.

It would be reasonable to expect the LL to enter in discussions with their stakeholders in the feeder leagues too?

Really disappointing behaviour from what has been normally a very well run league.

No clubs got promoted this season because of Covid. I certainly think it's important for the LL to discuss with its feeder leagues the idea of randomly bringing in two colt sides to their league for the sake of some cash. It's 100% obvious that the Old Firm don't want to just have one season in the LL and disappear. The LL letting them in is the beginning of them eventually being allowed into League Two (and then likely denying two non-league sides their place at some point in the future).

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

Full time youths they might be, but a good chunk of them will be playing at this level in 5 years time,  the majority aren’t special.

From what I can tell, most of the top half of the LL were full time up to the age of 21. So, I think you're right - a lot of them will be playing LL and below in 5 years time.

5 minutes ago, Ironside8 said:

Pretty much powder puff statement that does very little.

The lowland league have shown true colours they have proven themselves to be anti pyramid even if by some miracle they go back on this.
Where this leaves the so called 'pyramid ' god only knows.

Turmoil doesn't even begin to describe this lot and this so called bright new dawn.

Without the Lowland League there wouldn’t be any pyramid.