Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

1 hour ago, stanley said:

I'd be surprised if that is the case. Threave probably moved for a new challenge. They'd been in the Lowland League previously and resigned after finishing bottom so I don't think they had big ambitions for the Lowland League (nor do I think any of the current SoS clubs do).

The SoS used to get new clubs from the Dumfries & District Amateur League but that folded many years ago. They don't really have a source now for new clubs at all. Potentially a boy clubs forming an adult club or an old club reforming. They're down to just 10 first teams at the moment (plus two reserves). They're probably pretty desperate for new members and willing to accept clubs like Glasgow Wellington. They're no longer the only senior non-league in the west so they don't have much chance of the likes of Bonnyton joining as previously happened. Only real chance is a club wanting to take a shot at the Lowland League and skip the challenge of multiple promotions in the WoS.  I think they may consider accepting a club from outwith the region purely to boost the numbers rather than as some sort of revenge mission against the WoS. The problem would be if multiple clubs from Glasgow etc. apply as it would affect the current members. I can't really see it happening anyway.

From what I've heard down here in The Stewartry, Threave considered applying to the new WOS same time as Bonnyton. AFAIK there was a couple of reasons, one being they did not feel competitive enough to go straight into the new West Premier. One reason for moving was a feeling the SOS was becoming an amateur league, for Threave to grow a move to WOS was necessary and the time was right. Other than the 3 losses earlier it's been a good move and promotion looks probable after win over St.Peters.

I don't hold any grudge against the Sosfl.

Good luck to Threave Rovers and hopefully the travelling north from Castle Douglas every away game doesn't end up costing them financially.

Never heard of Glasgow Wellington until recently, interesting though the plastic pitch at Greenfield was mentioned. Glasgow United formerly known as Shettleston FC intend playing there from this summer.

Take if there's a possibility of a groundshare or maybe not.

Either way it offers a chance to see some of the Sosfl teams hopefully on a Friday night under the floodlights.

2 hours ago, Spyro said:

SOS were pissed off the WoS accepted Threave so took on a Glasgow team in spite. 

South were rather accomodating. It was known for weeks/months before it was official that Threave were leaving. Still kept their membership in the Southern Counties FA. If they were pissed they could have fought the move. 

If Glasgow Wellington end up in the South its simply because they applied and met the requirements. They can't be picky. 

1 hour ago, HorseyGhirl said:

From what I've heard down here in The Stewartry, Threave considered applying to the new WOS same time as Bonnyton. AFAIK there was a couple of reasons, one being they did not feel competitive enough to go straight into the new West Premier. One reason for moving was a feeling the SOS was becoming an amateur league, for Threave to grow a move to WOS was necessary and the time was right. Other than the 3 losses earlier it's been a good move and promotion looks probable after win over St.Peters.

That sounds perfectly reasonable. I hope the move works out for Threave and it will be interesting to seeing what level they settle down at in the WoS. I can see why they would leave the SoS and I think there was some logic in their decision. I wonder if any of the other SoS clubs would move in the future although Threave are the only one who ended up in the EoS for a few years and later the Lowland League so are presumably a bit more ambitious than the others. Also interesting to see what happens when Dalbeattie go down (either this season or in the coming years) and Gretna.

Has anything changed in the SoS to make it feel like it was becoming an amateur league compared to where it was previously?

5 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

One reason for moving was a feeling the SOS was becoming an amateur league

There's no problem with that. As mentioned though, there is NO Saturday amateurs in the area. I understand there's a lack of numbers but there will still be decent players kicking about who can join/create new SoS teams that can still compete. Picking up these teams from as far as Glasgow is just asking for trouble, especially when the league are supposed to be tier 6 and a direct feeder to the LL. 

Relegation for Dalbeattie and Gretna might make or break the league depending on where they choose to go

9 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

South were rather accomodating. It was known for weeks/months before it was official that Threave were leaving. Still kept their membership in the Southern Counties FA. If they were pissed they could have fought the move. 

If Glasgow Wellington end up in the South its simply because they applied and met the requirements. They can't be picky. 

Threave still play in SOS cups, so must still have active membership.

8 hours ago, stanley said:

That sounds perfectly reasonable. I hope the move works out for Threave and it will be interesting to seeing what level they settle down at in the WoS. I can see why they would leave the SoS and I think there was some logic in their decision. I wonder if any of the other SoS clubs would move in the future although Threave are the only one who ended up in the EoS for a few years and later the Lowland League so are presumably a bit more ambitious than the others. Also interesting to see what happens when Dalbeattie go down (either this season or in the coming years) and Gretna.

Has anything changed in the SoS to make it feel like it was becoming an amateur league compared to where it was previously?

St. Cuthberts would seem the perfect candidate to move, surprised they didn't move with Threave, but have no info on their thought processes and been nothing in local press or community to suggest they are applying. 

Footnote, last winter/spring worst kept secret that Threave were applying to SOS.

4 hours ago, Spyro said:

There's no problem with that. As mentioned though, there is NO Saturday amateurs in the area. I understand there's a lack of numbers but there will still be decent players kicking about who can join/create new SoS teams that can still compete. Picking up these teams from as far as Glasgow is just asking for trouble, especially when the league are supposed to be tier 6 and a direct feeder to the LL. 

Relegation for Dalbeattie and Gretna might make or break the league depending on where they choose to go

From what I've heard both would come to SOS. Believe each club have to indicate at start of season which league they would be relegated to. Could be wrong about that though.

2 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

From what I've heard both would come to SOS. Believe each club have to indicate at start of season which league they would be relegated to. Could be wrong about that though.

From memory, It’s the leagues who decide where clubs go in the event of relegation, I don’t think the clubs have a say.

Threave have always just tried to find a league at their own level and deserve credit. 

They could have easily skooshed the SoS every season but the old EoS was a better fit. They tried the LL but was a step too far and by then the EoS was a different league so went back south. Now they have found somewhere they'll find their level and compete for a few diddy cups along the way. 

4 hours ago, Spyro said:

When Threave were accepted to WOS, a number of squad from Star moved to Threave, dropping down from 5 to 10. Dont know why, but definitely seem happier playing in WOS, obviously wanting to move up the Divisions quickly.

1 minute ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

From memory, It’s the leagues who decide where clubs go in the event of relegation, I don’t think the clubs have a say.

Sorry I've misread that then, but pretty certain they are heading south.

But again could be wrong, no knowledge of either club.

Just now, HorseyGhirl said:

When Threave were accepted to WOS, a number of squad from Star moved to Threave, dropping down from 5 to 10. Dont know why, but definitely seem happier playing in WOS, obviously wanting to move up the Divisions quickly.

I think it's more about playing competitive football more than anything. I don't think they've big plans to charge through the leagues, but every game is winnable and there is no gimmes.

Sometimes decent games makes up for a drop in level and gives you more chance to shine and enjoy it

1 minute ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Sorry I've misread that then, but pretty certain they are heading south.

But again could be wrong, no knowledge of either club.

I thought the same tbh, always thought it was the clubs who decided pending being accepted by said association which would be a formality unless Gretna chose the Midlands league for a laugh

11 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Threave have always just tried to find a league at their own level and deserve credit. 

They could have easily skooshed the SoS every season but the old EoS was a better fit. They tried the LL but was a step too far and by then the EoS was a different league so went back south. Now they have found somewhere they'll find their level and compete for a few diddy cups along the way. 

Threave didn't win the SoS league last season, never mind 'skooshed it'. It doesn't seem that they're 'skooshing' their current division either.

Perhaps Threave are just not as good as they think that they are and jumping from one league to another is an excuse.

40 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Threave still play in SOS cups, so must still have active membership.

Threave or SoSFL, perhaps both said they were staying in the SCFA and would play in some of the cups at the time it was made official. Kinda having their cake and eating it too. Get a new competitive league, but can still challenge for trophies where they will otherwise struggle in the WoSFL. 

33 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Both are still down for the SoSFL at the start of the season.

There were rumours, and even players asking, if St Cuthbert Wanderers if they were making the move to the WoSFL. I can see SCW staying if Dalbeattie Star go down this year. They're clearly in no rush o make the move and seem to be in a rebuilding phase going by their standing in the league this season.

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

I think it's more about playing competitive football more than anything. I don't think they've big plans to charge through the leagues, but every game is winnable and there is no gimmes.

Sometimes decent games makes up for a drop in level and gives you more chance to shine and enjoy it

Entirely  correct, the day Kilsyth Ath. came visiting there was a buzz around Meadow Park and although I am probably wrong the crowd seemed larger. It was defo all locals as KA don't have a big support yet, though it is growing.

The general consensus was that it was the best team and best game seen at the Meadow in a wee while.

Don't be under any illusions, Threave see their place eventually in the WOS Premier. They have the facilities and ambition to be a fully functioning member of the WOS.

Edited by HorseyGhirl