Celtic and Rangers B Teams in League Two?

falski

Last weekend I was speaking to an employee of the SFA (a former coach in the SPFL and LL). He had been talking to his boss about the B Teams. They both felt that neither Celtic nor Rangers were getting much out of the LL in terms of player development as the best of their players should be playing at a higher level. 

Despite their position in the LL they felt Hearts actually had the right approach in challenging their best younger players (typically, 4 or 5 U17s/U18s in their starting line up with more on the bench).  Some of those in the LL squad will not be available for the game at Tranent tomorrow as they are over in Spain with the first team squad (played against Blackburn today).

Edited by Footballfirst

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

World Cup come and gone. Croatia getting a 3rd place. Netherlands in the Qtrs.

This thread: 🤐

Netherlands got to the Final twice in the 70's, long before they introduced B teams.

Something to do with coaching wasn't it? Feck all to do with B teams as you well know.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Netherlands got to the Final twice in the 70's, long before they introduced B teams.

Something to do with coaching wasn't it? Feck all to do with B teams as you well know.

I do. As the post was fishing for those B team supporters that kept using the introduction of B teams in the Croation & Dutch pyramids to support the Colts idea. But they've been silent this year.

Just read an article in Nutmeg 25 by a Ross Hutton, Rangers fan, writing the biggest load of tripe you'll real on B teams, he's a fan boy as you'll see from his twitter feed @heartandhutts 

Basically, Cruyff invented them, they're brilliant all over Europe, and it's holding us back as a nation not to have them in the league system. It's the answer to all our ills. Yawn. 

Edited by Burnieman

• 2 weeks later...

This has definitely been a long-term goal of at least some people involved, but I don't see how they can possibly get it past the SPFL clubs. I could imagine several Premiership clubs obviously fancying it, but even for the likes of Killie, St Johnstone, Livi, St Mirren it doesn't seem to make much sense. Some of the League 1 and 2 clubs could be corrupted by a bribe quite easily I'd imagine, similar to the Lowland League ones, but it would be quite hard to get enough of them on board.

I can't see an SPFL3 happening as it'd need prize money & you either increase the prize pool or more likely divvy up the current pool further which clubs would never vote for.

So a League 3 could be:

Rangers B 

Celtic B.

Hearts B.

Hibs B.

Aberdeen B.

Dundee United B.

Spartans.

Tranent.

Stirling Uni.

East Kilbride.

Brechin.

Buckie.

Fraserburgh

Brora.

Looks good to me. Some cracking games in there

Edited by edinabear

1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:

I can't see an SPFL3 happening as it'd need prize money & you either increase the prize pool or more likely divvy up the current pool further which clubs would never vote for.

The prize money was only a problem when folk were talking about an SPFL 3 made up of LL and HFL clubs.

If Premier Clubs are going to pay to play like they are in the LL the money won't be an issue.

Unfortunately, I imagine that if B Teams are inelligible for prize money part of the bribe could even be increasing L2 money.

I only have the the 19/20 figures but L2 was 140k. 6 x B Teams at 40k a head could mean a healthy bump to L2 and maybe even L1 with plenty left over to pay 6 places in L3.

Despite my objections I'm more just confused what anyone gets out of it.

Is it really getting Rangers and Celtic what they need for their young players?

Edited by invergowrie arab

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

This has definitely been a long-term goal of at least some people involved, but I don't see how they can possibly get it past the SPFL clubs. I could imagine several Premiership clubs obviously fancying it, but even for the likes of Killie, St Johnstone, Livi, St Mirren it doesn't seem to make much sense. Some of the League 1 and 2 clubs could be corrupted by a bribe quite easily I'd imagine, similar to the Lowland League ones, but it would be quite hard to get enough of them on board.

Considering the last time it went to a vote in the LL it was an 8-8 tie and only broken by the league chair, and the LL has another anti-Colt club in Tranent involved, there's a good chance they'll be punted.

For a decision like this, the SPFL would need 75% of L1 & 2 to approve it, very much doubt fewer than five clubs would disagree with it.

Edited by Ray Patterson

6 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

The prize money was only a problem when folk were talking about an SPFL 3 made up of LL and HFL clubs.

If Premier Clubs are going to pay to play like they are in the LL the money won't be an issue.

Unfortunately, I imagine that if B Teams are inelligible for prize money part of the bribe could even be increasing L2 money.

I only have the the 19/20 figures but L2 was 140k. 6 x B Teams at 40k a head could mean a healthy bump to L2 and maybe even L1 with plenty left over to pay 6 places in L3.

Despite my objections I'm more just confused what anyone gets out of it.

Is it really getting Rangers and Celtic what they need for their young players?

League 2 prize money is roughly £650k and League One is over a £1m.

A large number of lower league SPFL clubs have boards who are Rangers or Celtic sympathisers and who would see the pound signs in the same way that the Lowland League clubs did. Would that number be 15? Probably not. But there would certainly be a few.

54 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

A large number of lower league SPFL clubs have boards who are Rangers or Celtic sympathisers and who would see the pound signs in the same way that the Lowland League clubs did. Would that number be 15? Probably not. But there would certainly be a few.

Best to go back to 2012 and see what clubs supported the New Rangers being given safe passage back into the bottom league.

B teams in other countries isnt an argument.The uk system is built around clubs, communities, hopes of promotion etc. A pyramid now in place in Scotland means a definite progression can be achieved. If the spfl / clubs cant run a reserve league for their benefit, hard luck !

7 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Best to go back to 2012 and see what clubs supported the New Rangers being given safe passage back into the bottom league.

29 out of the 30 SFL clubs voted them in.