Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

Fair points, as I said it’s down to individual perception, unfortunately there are no real metrics to measure anything against with regards to this.

There are, Google search data shows a lot more interest in "Lowland League" this season than it did pre-covid. Google have fourteen queries related to Lowland League. Five of them relate to Sevco, one to Celtic and one, bizarrely, to Linlithgow Rose.

3 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

There are, Google search data shows a lot more interest in "Lowland League" this season than it did pre-covid. Google have fourteen queries related to Lowland League. Five of them relate to Sevco, one to Celtic and one, bizarrely, to Linlithgow Rose.

Just had a quick look there. It spiked for about 2 weeks when they got admitted and then dropped back to approximately the five-year average for the rest of the season.

6 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Assume you mean this. Peaked at the start of the season then dropped off.

image.thumb.png.1141e9ba6fcc76f6a395b20687d32df5.png

45 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

There's no point trying to reason with some of these guys. Of course it has raised the profile of the league to some extent and even led to some unusually large crowds. The sensible approach to counter that would be to simply acknowledge that as being case but then go on to explain why other factors such as the OF colts fielding weakened teams during international breaks in a manner that could potentially have impacted promotion and relegation outcomes make their inclusion a net negative overall. That's not the sort of response you will receive though.  Childish red dot frenzies and trying to argue that every single aspect of their participation has been negative is more their sort of level. 

Edited by LongTimeLurker

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

I saw there's a comparison tab to add other searches to the graph. Lowland League & Lowland Football League to see if there was any difference, West of Scotland Football League, and East of Scotland Football League.

Now there's obviously some sort of flaw in with these things since the 'Lowland League' search term has stayed the same from the 5 year comparison but doesn't hit the  100

image.thumb.png.475a805186d0e7ecb0fd12291e6cef2e.png

image.png

I saw there's a comparison tab to add other searches to the graph. Lowland League & Lowland Football League to see if there was any difference, West of Scotland Football League, and East of Scotland Football League.
Now there's obviously some sort of flaw in with these things since the 'Lowland League' search term has stayed the same from the 5 year comparison but doesn't hit the  100
image.thumb.png.475a805186d0e7ecb0fd12291e6cef2e.png
image.thumb.png.1445652addfcebe4f0ab715dd2da6b61.png

It's not a flaw, just rebased so whichever point is highest is 100.

The main takeaway from that graph is that West and East of Scotland leagues have more interest than the Lowland. So if the LL are wanting to increase their profile, perhaps they should concentrate on replacing the dregs with the better supported clubs at the top end of the tier below rather than getting thirty pieces of Old Firm silver for their integrity.
Assume you mean this. Peaked at the start of the season then dropped off.
image.thumb.png.1141e9ba6fcc76f6a395b20687d32df5.png

It dropped off but this week is still 40% higher than the same week two years ago.

I'm not sure raising the profile with lots of negative press about a ridiculous decision to let them buy their way in is a good thing. It's done a lot of damage to the league, if anything. It also doesn't look good for the league to have B sides in 3rd and 4th.

I only quoted an spfl3 as an extreme idea, definitely don't want it to happen. Maybe some 'modern' fans want change, new possibilities, open up the league's etc - I'm happy with a workable pyramid asap. After a full season in the LL, are all the youngsters now playing in their OF 1st teams ? Thought not.

1 hour ago, Andy groundhopper said:

I only quoted an spfl3 as an extreme idea, definitely don't want it to happen. Maybe some 'modern' fans want change, new possibilities, open up the league's etc - I'm happy with a workable pyramid asap. After a full season in the LL, are all the youngsters now playing in their OF 1st teams ? Thought not.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of this did you honestly expect them all to be playing in their first teams?

22 hours ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of this did you honestly expect them all to be playing in their first teams?

No, didn't expect any of them to make the first team tbh - wasn't that the idea of playing against men's teams ? Can't ever see B teams getting into the spfl anyway, too much of a change for the 42.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/02/2022 at 23:10, Burnieman said:

If Hearts B applied and met the EoS requirements then they would be admitted, at the bottom level obviously.  Both Hibs and Hearts have had teams in the EoS in the past, along with others such as Arbroath and Berwick Rangers.

With all this Rangers/Celtic B hoo ha, what's been lost is that most clubs wouldn't have an issue with them being in the Pyramid, just not parachuted into tier 5, they should start at the bottom like any new member.

I think most fans and clubs would still have massive issues with them being in the pyramid at senior level, regardless of them getting there via promotion or not. It still offers them a significant advantage over other clubs (like they need it) and devalues the competitions. Fans of the impacted clubs don't generally want the association with Celtic and Rangers because of the bigotry either. 

I am personally against the Colts in any proposed format to date, however I would be a bit more receptive if rules were introduced that benefited Scottish youngsters. Said it before but as an absolute minimum for me to be onboard with Colts, I would need:

- Colt squads made up almost exclusively (9 or 10 of every starting 11 and 90% of overall squad) from parent club, homegrown talent. That would need to be, through parent club youth teams for at least four years before 18th birthday (making all Scotland eligible). It would also stop foreign youngsters being signed at a drop of a hat and allowed to play and protect other Scottish clubs from losing their best young talent from ages 15 and up, as they wouldn't be Colt eligible. 

- Caps on all youth squad sizes. Rangers had over 50 senior youths last year, that can't be allowed. I would cap it around 25 at all age levels to again protect other clubs losing quality youth players through the ages. 

- Rules based commitment to play Colt players in senior starting 11s after a grace period. For me, clubs should be held responsible to their colt project. After say a five year grace period, senior starting 11s must feature at least four Colt graduates (home grown) with two being under 21. 

Don't see Celtic & Rangers ever agreeing to these rules right enough and as long as they don't, the Colt proposal should be completely shelved. 

6 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

Colt squads made up almost exclusively (9 or 10 of every starting 11 and 90% of overall squad) from parent club, homegrown talent. That would need to be, through parent club youth teams for at least four years before 18th birthday (making all Scotland eligible). It would also stop foreign youngsters being signed at a drop of a hat and allowed to play and protect other Scottish clubs from losing their best young talent from ages 15 and up, as they wouldn't be Colt eligible. 

You just have to look at their signing policy, as well as Hibs as they build up a B team for next year. 

Its a non-starter. They want to take punts on teens from abroad  to sell high later on. 

22 hours ago, Bazil85 said:

I think most fans and clubs would still have massive issues with them being in the pyramid at senior level, regardless of them getting there via promotion or not.

Actually not as far as clubs are concerned.  If a club meets the requirements of the league and enter at the same level as all new applicants, there is no real basis for rejecting their applications.

As I pointed out, SPFL clubs have ran Reserve/B sides off and on in the EoS for the last 50 or more years.

The problem is, the absurd parachuting of the OF B teams into the LL has cast a shadow over everyone.

19 minutes ago, Gimme said:

I see the colts game scheduled for this weekend has been moved to 12 April. I can't see either of their games against each other getting played.

With them not playing in the League Cup you would have thought plenty of time to get these games in during March.

But no, let's do a random Tuesday in April.

3 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

With them not playing in the League Cup you would have thought plenty of time to get these games in during March.

But no, let's do a random Tuesday in April.

Taking the piss  and total disrespect for the LL as they have done all season.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

4 hours ago, Gimme said:

I see the colts game scheduled for this weekend has been moved to 12 April. I can't see either of their games against each other getting played.

In which case they should be chucked out, and their records expunged.