Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

So a League 3 could be:

Rangers B 

Celtic B.

Hearts B.

Hibs B.

Aberdeen B.

Dundee United B.

Spartans.

Tranent.

Stirling Uni.

East Kilbride.

Brechin.

Buckie.

Fraserburgh

Brora.

Looks good to me. Some cracking games in there

Edited by edinabear

1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:

I can't see an SPFL3 happening as it'd need prize money & you either increase the prize pool or more likely divvy up the current pool further which clubs would never vote for.

The prize money was only a problem when folk were talking about an SPFL 3 made up of LL and HFL clubs.

If Premier Clubs are going to pay to play like they are in the LL the money won't be an issue.

Unfortunately, I imagine that if B Teams are inelligible for prize money part of the bribe could even be increasing L2 money.

I only have the the 19/20 figures but L2 was 140k. 6 x B Teams at 40k a head could mean a healthy bump to L2 and maybe even L1 with plenty left over to pay 6 places in L3.

Despite my objections I'm more just confused what anyone gets out of it.

Is it really getting Rangers and Celtic what they need for their young players?

Edited by invergowrie arab

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

This has definitely been a long-term goal of at least some people involved, but I don't see how they can possibly get it past the SPFL clubs. I could imagine several Premiership clubs obviously fancying it, but even for the likes of Killie, St Johnstone, Livi, St Mirren it doesn't seem to make much sense. Some of the League 1 and 2 clubs could be corrupted by a bribe quite easily I'd imagine, similar to the Lowland League ones, but it would be quite hard to get enough of them on board.

Considering the last time it went to a vote in the LL it was an 8-8 tie and only broken by the league chair, and the LL has another anti-Colt club in Tranent involved, there's a good chance they'll be punted.

For a decision like this, the SPFL would need 75% of L1 & 2 to approve it, very much doubt fewer than five clubs would disagree with it.

Edited by Ray Patterson

6 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

The prize money was only a problem when folk were talking about an SPFL 3 made up of LL and HFL clubs.

If Premier Clubs are going to pay to play like they are in the LL the money won't be an issue.

Unfortunately, I imagine that if B Teams are inelligible for prize money part of the bribe could even be increasing L2 money.

I only have the the 19/20 figures but L2 was 140k. 6 x B Teams at 40k a head could mean a healthy bump to L2 and maybe even L1 with plenty left over to pay 6 places in L3.

Despite my objections I'm more just confused what anyone gets out of it.

Is it really getting Rangers and Celtic what they need for their young players?

League 2 prize money is roughly £650k and League One is over a £1m.

A large number of lower league SPFL clubs have boards who are Rangers or Celtic sympathisers and who would see the pound signs in the same way that the Lowland League clubs did. Would that number be 15? Probably not. But there would certainly be a few.

54 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

A large number of lower league SPFL clubs have boards who are Rangers or Celtic sympathisers and who would see the pound signs in the same way that the Lowland League clubs did. Would that number be 15? Probably not. But there would certainly be a few.

Best to go back to 2012 and see what clubs supported the New Rangers being given safe passage back into the bottom league.

I don't think you can draw any conclusions from a vote 11 years ago when boards of clubs have changed, it's a different organisation and different clubs involved, but the vote to admit them to the SFL was 29-1 in favour with only Stranraer against. 25 (Stranraer included) then voted against the proposal to put them directly into the First Division meaning they started in the Third, with three of the five in favour being Falkirk, Hamilton and Queen of the South.

The problem here might be that reconstruction is essentially going to be off the table forever with the SPFL's voting structure and the two sides of the B team debate seeing it as a red line. Rangers, Celtic, Hearts and probably a couple of others are never going to vote for SPFL reconstruction that doesn't include B teams getting in now they've had the Lowland League and Challenge Cup trojan horse, so you're never getting an 11-1 vote of Premiership clubs through without them. There are several lower league clubs who are never going to vote for reconstruction that does include B teams and they'll face a fan revolt if they change their minds, so you've got a deadlock.

That's very bad news for ever getting more promotion and relegation between the SPFL and wider pyramid.

The HL and LL have to sign off on changes to the Club 42 playoff rule so there is a limit to what the lower division SPFL clubs can do to close the trapdoor again. The biggest problems with bronze level being the SPFL entry standard for some clubs would be that the pitch dimensions have to be a minimum of 95×60 m, gradients need to be sorted out, there needs to be cover for 500 rather than 100 and floodlights need to be 300 rather than 200 lux. Google suggests Newtown Park in Bo'ness is bang on the minimum where the width is concerned, but a club like Pollok would need to find a way to widen and lengthen their pitch by four feet or so.

SPFL leagues 1 and 2 requires entry licencing only.   Just the floodlights that need to be bronze but that shouldn't be too big of obsiticle.

The trapdoor won't be closed any further,  but the rats in the LL sure as f**k have provided the spfl clubs plenty of reason not to open things up.   

Not just the idiotic B team farce, but have any clubs reserve teams ever been in the Scottish League before ? (During the wars I guess) Question : We have loads of money, age group teams from probably under 14 upwards, academies etc BUT we want to buy over priced clowns from overseas for immediate success , and NOT play kids in the 1st team. Are we just stupid ? (All names are purely fictitious and coincidental) many thanks, spfl members 👏

13 minutes ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Not just the idiotic B team farce, but have any clubs reserve teams ever been in the Scottish League before ? (During the wars I guess) Question : We have loads of money, age group teams from probably under 14 upwards, academies etc BUT we want to buy over priced clowns from overseas for immediate success , and NOT play kids in the 1st team. Are we just stupid ? (All names are purely fictitious and coincidental) many thanks, spfl members 👏

http://www.oocities.org/br1anmccoll/cdiv.htm

That 3-1 win v Civil Service Strollers shows the quality of the Rangers B team varies so much depending if likes of Lowry, Devine and others on edges of first team play or not. Lowry hat trick tonight from midfield while other teams have faced lot weaker Rangers B teams lately and lost. Farce.