Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

I wouldn't say it's impossible that the League 1 and League 2 clubs could be won over on this given that several of them are probably not that detached from the Lowland League clubs in terms of the bowling club mentality of being excited to have folk with Rangers and Celtic ties in their boardroom. Look at stuff like Elgin City having their big Europa League final event, and I could imagine similar at Peterhead, Albion Rovers, Stranraer for three.

I feel like getting 11 Premiership clubs to vote for it could be a bit more of a challenge, given that it's going to give a huge advantage to the clubs who could afford to run a B team. Motherwell seem to be hugely in favour for some reason, but what would be in this for Killie, Livingston, St Mirren etc?

The teams that voted “yes” probably benefit largely from the away supports of the clubs that voted “no”. If my team was one of the good guys in the LL I’d be refuseing to to attend any away games against the wanks. And away games against B teams, obviously.

Playing seven homegrown players is of no benefit the Colts either. Six will be jobbers who won't even sniff the bench of the first team ever let alone become "stars". Its a price to pay for them to advance getting into the SPFL grooming the future bench warmers of Alloa and Clyde.

Which will be a large bung and league expansion.

Edited by Benidorm

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

...Motherwell seem to be hugely in favour for some reason, but what would be in this for Killie, Livingston, St Mirren etc?

Fielding a team as well but on a lower budget a bit further down the pecking order? Failing that a slight prize money percentages adjustment in their favour?

2 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

The teams that voted “yes” probably benefit largely from the away supports of the clubs that voted “no”. If my team was one of the good guys in the LL I’d be refuseing to to attend any away games against the wanks. And away games against B teams, obviously.

I was thinking a team could send their own reserves out against the B teams but then they'd be raging if it was only a coupla points difference in promotion/relgation, etc. There's now 18 points up for grabs against B teams who can have wildly different squads one week to the next due to the international call ups or injuries/suspensions at the first team. The LL was lucky Bonnyrigg ran away with it this year. A close run thing could see a team finish first because the times they played B teams they had players away for the international U21s/U19s whereas the team behind caught them at full strength.

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I wouldn't say it's impossible that the League 1 and League 2 clubs could be won over on this given that several of them are probably not that detached from the Lowland League clubs in terms of the bowling club mentality of being excited to have folk with Rangers and Celtic ties in their boardroom. Look at stuff like Elgin City having their big Europa League final event, and I could imagine similar at Peterhead, Albion Rovers, Stranraer for three.

I feel like getting 11 Premiership clubs to vote for it could be a bit more of a challenge, given that it's going to give a huge advantage to the clubs who could afford to run a B team. Motherwell seem to be hugely in favour for some reason, but what would be in this for Killie, Livingston, St Mirren etc?

This is it 100 percent. There's no one who can tell me that the likes of the above and the Orange Lodge fuckwit at Stenny with 50-100k as the cherry bunged on top are saying no to the B sides.

Edited by Benidorm

Utter pish.  The worst thing is seeing all the Old Firm idiots on Twitter proclaiming this to be a brilliant decision.  

Have to say I’m not seeing this. Comments on the statement post are overwhelmingly against this. Virtually nobody wants this but yet they plough on. Vile league run by vile people.

1 minute ago, Kennie said:

What happens when Aberdeen want the same privileges for their club?

Caley Thistle have tried a few times to be roundly told by the Highland League to GTF.

2 minutes ago, Kennie said:

What happens when Aberdeen want the same privileges for their club?

Well they'd be directed to the HFL. Who will say no. Aberdeen will claim this is unfair. As will the Dundee clubs, Ross County and Caley Thistle. In order to placate them they'll make up a B team league for all the B teams. Might even go under a brand new name "Reserve league" suits... wait a minute!

2 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Does the SHFL have a claim here that they are unfairly being put at a financial disadvantage against the LL because of this? They could argue this will make it harder for their member clubs to progress in the play-off.

They've voted against colt teams multiple times.

36 minutes ago, John S said:

Interesting to know how the new teams voted 

Tranent Juniors FC, voted against admitting the three guest teams into the LL.

Not a big secret that when we were in Tier 6 we also thought it wasn't right, that doesn't change our thought process now we are in Tier 5.

Despite this benefitting Hearts, I think it's a shocking decision. Get reserve football back and stop fucking about with the integrity of the pyramid. Can't believe the LL teams never just told all 3 clubs to GTF. 

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Caley Thistle have tried a few times to be roundly told by the Highland League to GTF.

They should have tried the Lowland League. £40K gets them in.

But can they provide someone with a club tie for the selfies?

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

...who have Nairn and Clach colt teams playing in the NCL next season, which could prevent a licensed club being able to access the playoffs for promotion into the HL if one of them wins that league.

Edited by LongTimeLurker