Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

39 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Pretty sure the Highland and Lowland League are guaranteed a rep each on the PGB.

26 minutes ago, Lowland team said:

Finlay noble of Fraserburgh represents the highland league.and Thomas Brown represents the lowland league.

Fair enough, I'm sure Finlay Noble would be a decent rep.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I wonder what effort the SPFL Board put in to organising a Reserve League next season?

image.png.24b44db492b6cb7ea7c0bdc8bd03e51d.png

Rangers, Celtic and several other clubs pulled out of the SPFL Reserve League before the pandemic. I think Hearts were still participating at this point, but it was essentially a rump competition even before 2020. The SPFL setting one up would have had no impact on this whatsoever.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Rangers, Celtic and several other clubs pulled out of the SPFL Reserve League before the pandemic. I think Hearts were still participating at this point, but it was essentially a rump competition even before 2020. The SPFL setting one up would have had no impact on this whatsoever.

I remember it being pretty lively, with 3 SPFL reserve leagues running for years before Covid. Bookies were even taking bets.

Edited by welshbairn

I remember it being pretty lively, with 3 SPFL leagues running before Covid. Bookies were even taking bets.

I remember trying to put a bet on Thistle reserves to beat Motherwell reserves when I lived in Albania only to be told that the match had already finished and Thistle had lost.

What a total shambolic embarrassing mess this League is turning out to be. If the 11 clubs that voted to invite guest clubs had a back bone and a pair of …… and rejected the motion  the League would not be in the situation of opening up for further applications, and clubs who may not be in the LL next season having or not having a say/vote on their applications. It’s time to get real.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

What a shambles. If they have accepted the Old Firm then they can't really reject Hearts. They should have rejected them all from the start. What happens when Hibs and others start applying too? 

It's quite sad how this has all turned out. A couple of huge decisions have gone the wrong way (increasing relegation places and having B teams in the league). To think that we could be looking forward to next season with two up/two down but instead there will be two or three colt teams and, once again, the possibility for 0 teams to be relegated. With Elgin City as perennial strugglers, it might not be too long until we end up with no relegation in a season for the Lowland League again.

Edited by stanley

I remember it being pretty lively, with 3 SPFL reserve leagues running for years before Covid. Bookies were even taking bets.

My point is that Rangers and Celtic (along with Hibs and Aberdeen) pulled out of these reserve leagues in 2019. Therefore, the SPFL could run all the reserve divisions it wants, but it wouldn't magically prevent this B team issue from rearing its head.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

My point is that Rangers and Celtic (along with Hibs and Aberdeen) pulled out of these reserve leagues in 2019. Therefore, the SPFL could run all the reserve divisions it wants, but it wouldn't magically prevent this B team issue from rearing its head.

The lack of a reserve league gave cover to the Lowland League proposing B teams in the first place.

Hearts in their public quotes have stuck with the line that they'd prefer a reserve league to a B team. 

Nothing would stop the OF trying to get B teams into the pyramid wherever they can. The lack of an alternative continues to give them the excuse to pursue it.

5 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The lack of a reserve league gave cover to the Lowland League proposing B teams in the first place.

Hearts in their public quotes have stuck with the line that they'd prefer a reserve league to a B team. 

Nothing would stop the OF trying to get B teams into the pyramid wherever they can. The lack of an alternative continues to give them the excuse to pursue it.

Agree with this, the SPFL and SFA are culpable in all of this.

Watching that Colombian lad come on for Partick, look like a raffle winner, and absolutely shite himself when presented with a chance to win the game I take back all I said about the B teams not nurturing Scottish talent. I'm sure the "pressure" of playing in meaningless competitive games against amateurs really helped him cope with the big moment. What a great service for Scottish football: the Old Firm snap up quality foreign young players and make them shite. Genius.

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

Appealing against not being selected as a guest team by a league you have no divine right to be in would be like going to the police to complain that your pal from uni didn't invite you to their wedding.

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Appealing against not being selected as a guest team by a league you have no divine right to be in would be like going to the police to complain that your pal from uni didn't invite you to their wedding.

Let it go man. He had other plans.

It would be slightly amusing if fhey didnt let Hearts B in.

However they pretty much need to stop all the b team nonsense now.Get a proper b team league and let the likes of Tranent Darvel Auchinleck up this season.

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Rangers and Celtic were pushing for B teams in the SPFL even while there was a Reserve League running (which they were in). The Lowland League would have simply come up with another pretext for allowing them in if a Reserve League had existed.