Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

As founder members and the first club to go up from the Lowland League Edinburgh City should get first refusal on fielding a B team in the Lowland League*

Who are these Arsecheeks interlopers anyway? 

*I say this in jest. Colts teams can gettae. 

I agree that a lowland league with colt teams should have to give up their pyramid promotion place.

The highland league winner should playoff for the league spot instead.They have kept there integrity.

No promotion play off for the lowland league until it's colt free.

There are dozens of small ambititious clubs being shafted by this.

Edited by Sparticus

Not read the whole thread, sorry, I have a job and stuff.

As someone who has thoroughly enjoyed visiting every ground in the Lowland league, some more than once, but has never seen either of the chuckle brothers play, what's the verdict on this as an experiment?

Is it still just an experiment or will it become the norm now?

PS

Way back pre and indeed post second world war down here in England, we did not have a pyramid below the football league and the top non league sides in my region, such as Crook Town, Bishop Auckland, West Auckland, Durham City and North Shields used to play in a league called the North Eastern League which also contained Sunderland and Middlesbrough reserves. Newcastle had managed to get themselves into the more exclusive Central League for football league reserve teams so never took part after the very early years. Ironically the central league finally opened its doors to others in the late 80's and Sunderland won it in the 90's. Newcastle never won it despite being in it for 50 years longer. Replaced by the PL U23 league now in the name of progress..............Aye it were better back in my day......

Edited by Roker Rover

31 minutes ago, Roker Rover said:

As someone who has thoroughly enjoyed visiting every ground in the Lowland league, some more than once, but has never seen either of the chuckle brothers play, what's the verdict on this as an experiment?

PS

Way back pre and indeed post second world war down here in England, we did not have a pyramid below the football league and the top non league sides in my region, such as Crook Town, Bishop Auckland, West Auckland, Durham City and North Shields used to play in a league called the North Eastern League which also contained Sunderland and Middlesbrough reserves. Newcastle had managed to get themselves into the more exclusive Central League for football league reserve teams so never took part after the very early years. Ironically the central league finally opened its doors to others in the late 80's and Sunderland won it in the 90's. Newcastle never won it despite being in it for 50 years longer. Replaced by the PL U23 league now in the name of progress..............Aye it were better back in my day......

Pretty much how the North Caledonian League used to be, and it's likely there will be 2 Highland League reserve teams in it next season. The difference from the Lowland League is there is no bottleneck of ambitious and better teams below them trying to get in, in fact no tier 7 at all, so there is no controversy whatsoever.

PS
I don't believe it'll become permanent but there will be issues before it ends.

Bonnyrigg won the league with relative comfort this season, but take them out of the equation and the B teams would fill the top 2 positions and that's where the issues will start.

If Bonnyrigg are lucky enough to be promoted and are replaced by Cowdenbeath the latter, based on Berwick, Shire and Brechin in the HL are unlikely to challenge for the title next year, similarly whoever comes up from Tier 6 might find the going tougher than expected (ask Bo'ness how they thought they'd do coming up). This will likely see the B teams toward the top of the league again next season and if one of them wins it, irrespective of any agreement that's in place, you can see a legal challenge happening by either Club 42, the HL winners, or indeed both.

That challenge might not be successful but it costs money to defend, leaves others in limbo, and pisses off the clubs that the Lowland League wants to agree to automatic relegation from League 2.

Sooner or later ambitious clubs will release the error of their ways but by then damage has been done, it also doesn't help that there are clubs in the league that know the only way they are going is down and want to maximise their income before that happens.

3 hours ago, Sparticus said:

I agree that a lowland league with colt teams should have to give up their pyramid promotion place.

The highland league winner should playoff for the league spot instead.They have kept there integrity.

Will never happen, they have the backing of the SFA.

People are conflating two issues here. The B teams are an abomination, but they are not holding back any ambitious Tier 6 clubs. It has never been an either/or situation, if the B teams weren't there it would be a 16 team league without them.

The main thing holding the ambitious clubs back is the lack of relegation places at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

People are conflating two issues here. The B teams are an abomination, but they are not holding back any ambitious Tier 6 clubs. It has never been an either/or situation, if the B teams weren't there it would be a 16 team league without them.

The main thing holding the ambitious clubs back is the lack of relegation places at the bottom.

Totally agree, the narrative created on here is almost an urban myth now.

13 hours ago, Gimme said:

I don't believe it'll become permanent but there will be issues before it ends.

Bonnyrigg won the league with relative comfort this season, but take them out of the equation and the B teams would fill the top 2 positions and that's where the issues will start.

If Bonnyrigg are lucky enough to be promoted and are replaced by Cowdenbeath the latter, based on Berwick, Shire and Brechin in the HL are unlikely to challenge for the title next year, similarly whoever comes up from Tier 6 might find the going tougher than expected (ask Bo'ness how they thought they'd do coming up). This will likely see the B teams toward the top of the league again next season and if one of them wins it, irrespective of any agreement that's in place, you can see a legal challenge happening by either Club 42, the HL winners, or indeed both.

That challenge might not be successful but it costs money to defend, leaves others in limbo, and pisses off the clubs that the Lowland League wants to agree to automatic relegation from League 2.

Sooner or later ambitious clubs will release the error of their ways but by then damage has been done, it also doesn't help that there are clubs in the league that know the only way they are going is down and want to maximise their income before that happens.

To sum that up the entry fee of £40K for guest clubs will go to barristers. They need it, I seen an article on the news yesterday that some barristers are only earning £12K per annum. Excuse me whilst I go and have a greet for them😥😥😥

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

The fact the B Teams are there is making the no hopers in the Lowland League keep the status quo to lessen the chances of them dropping out.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Breath of fresh air answer at last.yes the colts are not holding any club back.its the promotion bottle neck into the spfl thats doing it.

33 minutes ago, Lowland team said:

Breath of fresh air answer at last.yes the colts are not holding any club back.its the promotion bottle neck into the spfl thats doing it.

Except that's not at all what craigkillie said.

The only bottleneck of relevance here (and it's scarcely relevant to this thread either, come to think of it) is the one between tiers 5 and 6.

1 hour ago, morrison said:

Except that's not at all what craigkillie said.

The only bottleneck of relevance here (and it's scarcely relevant to this thread either, come to think of it) is the one between tiers 5 and 6.

I honestly think people who thought it would be 3 up 3 down were expecting to much!!! 1 up automatically and a second up after a play off with club 15 is more realistic thats what happens above tier 5. Keep in mind theres always the chance of another club from the spfl dropping down if a highland league side wins the play off.also theres no automatic promotion from the lowland league.

On 22/04/2022 at 18:44, FairWeatherFan said:

It's the number that's been out there since the game was played back in November.

Don’t know who gave you the figure but I just noticed it in the recent updates and from where I was standing the crowd was nearer to 700. However, you can only put up what figure is given to you. Thanks for your hard work.

23 minutes ago, boheesian said:

Don’t know who gave you the figure but I just noticed it in the recent updates and from where I was standing the crowd was nearer to 700. However, you can only put up what figure is given to you. Thanks for your hard work.

I'm not collecting headcounts. @The Facemantook on that task this season. Considering the completed nature of most tables, clubs this year will have been the primary source of information. 

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

True but its a bad look and if I was in T6 and below in the south I would be asking why they couldn't run an 18 team league with real clubs. 

20 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

True but its a bad look and if I was in T6 and below in the south I would be asking why they couldn't run an 18 team league with real clubs. 

because the sfa set the league numbers.the highland league ran with 19 i think until elgin got into the spfl.highland league are at 18 which they have been for a few years now.