Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

23 hours ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

There are a lot of comments on this and other threads from fans of SPFL clubs, and I would like to ask them a genuine question. What upsets you more, the damage to the pyramid or the fact that it is Celtic and Rangers who are involved? I’m not looking for a battle, just genuinely interested in people’s point of view.

As others have said the damage to the pyramid. I'm against Colts pretty much full stop irrespective of the sides involved. I also hate that the Colts have infiltrated the Challenge Cup (or whatever it is called now) and I refused to go to ICT games against Colt sides that were largely glorified friendlies.

23 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The North Caley having Nairn County B in it is a fucking joke too.

That doesn't bother me, they're short of teams. Looks like Clach will be fielding a u20s team too since the North of Scotland u20 league died a death through lack of interest. 

I hope Fraserburgh win the playoff so that there's more turnover in LL membership. Eventually the clubs who roll over and offer their tummies to be tickled by the Old Firm will be papped out the bottom end of the league by those who have a bit more dignity.

On 20/04/2022 at 17:07, Marooneye said:

Admission to tier five of B clubs is a digusting kick in the teeth for all the clubs at tier 6 and below that have worked hard to improve facilities and get licensed in order to progress.

And also against the SFA constitution saying that no B/reserve teams can compete at Tier 5. (Stranraer B being denied an opportunity to compete in the SoS/EoS playoff and the HL denying ICT for the same reasons)

Although they will use the “compete” and “guest club” as a workaround until it’s written out and let them run free into the national league.

1. Where’s the new sponsor? Think they have one now but f**k knows who they are as, leading onto point 2

2. Where all this new media attention? The website is shite and the podcast… well… 👀

3. Crowds will be 200+ higher for OF games… great to see the old parkheid calculator making a comeback

Any more ways to they could have shafted the ACTUAL fans of teams at this level?

Edited by Spyro

6 hours ago, TheScarf said:

The North Caley having Nairn County B in it is a fucking joke too.

Rather hypocritically, I don't actually mind this. The NCL historically was the Highland Reserve League. It's only in fairly recent years that a large proportion of its members (and indeed, champions) haven't been second XIs. Although a Tier 6 league, really the NCL is an amateur league with facilities to match - look how teams come and go each year. The NCL's depth is significantly smaller than the other leagues (bar the SoSFL) and winter footballing opportunities for those not at a Highland League level are limited. There's not really a functional U20 structure and there's no other local winter leagues. This isn't an attempt to disparage the league in anyway, the management and organisation is excellent and a credit to the committee's hard work. Somewhere, however, there's a line to be drawn between the senior game and the recreational level. In my opinion the NCL really straddles this divide.

Edited by Cyclizine

Most people think of the English pyramid as not having B teams/Reserves sides in them. They do though. It's just the highest they can go is level 10 or step 10? One or the other and that's why no one notices.

The NCL & SoS, which tend to have reserve teams, shouldn't really be operating at Tier 6. They're only there because of how the Scottish pyramid has been cobbled together. So it seems like a false comparison to the full-time SPFL B teams that the OF and others are trying to start.

7 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Does it? As long as you follow a winter schedule and play fixtures as given then that’s enough 

In my view there is a difference between the higher levels of the game (senior, junior, perhaps the higher end amateur in the lowland area) where the focus is more about the club itself and the lower recreational levels where it's more about the enjoyment of the group of players. I don't think it's fair or respectful to the first teams to have reserve teams in their league at the higher levels, but I don't really have too much of a problem with them in the recreational levels. The NCL in my mind is a bit of both. Entirely hypocritical, I know. I don't like the idea of reserve teams in the pyramid, but if Pandora's box has been opened, then the natural place for them to start is at the bottom. 

Edited by Cyclizine

17 hours ago, Spyro said:

And also against the SFA constitution saying that no B/reserve teams can compete at Tier 5. (Stranraer B being denied an opportunity to compete in the SoS/EoS playoff and the HL denying ICT for the same reasons)

Although they will use the “compete” and “guest club” as a workaround until it’s written out and let them run free into the national league.

There is nothing of that nature in the SFA constitution. The Lowland League rules previously prevented B teams from being involved, but they have since been updated to allow this nonsense, and we've not yet had a test case to see what would happen if Stranraer B won the SoS. The Highland League doesn't have anything in its rules preventing B teams, but chose not to accept Inverness. I think they would have been able to if they'd wanted to.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It's not been the 500 minimum they tried to convince everyone about but it helps explain why some of the clubs are happy to sell out to the OF.

image.png.1f928187208a819fc2b99de4575b812e.png

The crowd given for BU v Ranger B is miles out closer 700 as Rangers were not playing that day

It's the sixth largest settlement in Scotland.
I'm aware of that, but the way people talk of them I was expecting double figures for attendance. They're already doing better than East Stirlingshire who had a hundred and thirty year head start.

On 22/04/2022 at 16:23, DiegoDiego said:

Considering the stick they get from many for not being a "real" club and being lumped in with the likes of Broomhill and Caley Braves, East Kilbride averaging 157 sans OF is better than I imagined.

It's fucking pathetic. It would be at the lower end of attendances in the Dundee junior scene.

Getting an average of 40 more than Caley Braves and 70 more than Broomhill is absolutely a red neck given the former don't even have a town they are from.