Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

There's nothing to stop a club trying to enter a reserve side in any of the Non-Professional Game Board leagues, except the individual leagues rejecting applications. Ultimately even accepted they cannot be promoted beyond whatever league they enter.

Nairn County and Stranraer exist as quirks of geography and the limited access to organised reserve/youth leagues. Caledonian Braves and Stirling Uni aren't about development, they're about the business model that those clubs operate under.

If they can't enter the SPFL. Why do you want full time professional football teams playing at non-league level?

I haven't said that I want SPFL or LL/HL Reserves/Colts etc in any league. I am just trying to figure out why there's resistance to the idea in the 21st Century. These clubs aren't Celtic/Rangers.

Then it is time to look forward rather than to the past isn't it?
No, because nothing has changed since this summer. Having clubs in a division which not only are not eligible for promotion but do not even have winning games as their main objective devalues the competition. There is no benefit which could not be obtained from a well organised development league.

This is true whether the parent club is Hearts or Kelty Hearts, Rangers or Cove Rangers and is as valid in 2021 as it will be in 2121.

It's not a good look when two of the top three clubs are B teams and it will be even worse if they win the league in the future. Get rid of both of them, replace them with WoS/EoS sides and increase the relegation spots to three. I wonder if first teams are allowed to pay their way into the Lowland League like B teams are? Is it one rule for the Bigot Brothers and another for everyone else?

19 minutes ago, stanley said:

It's not a good look when two of the top three clubs are B teams and it will be even worse if they win the league in the future. Get rid of both of them, replace them with WoS/EoS sides and increase the relegation spots to three. I wonder if first teams are allowed to pay their way into the Lowland League like B teams are? Is it one rule for the Bigot Brothers and another for everyone else?

They're only in for the season. It was part of their overall proposal to the SPFL that would have seen the gradual increase of the SPFL to 12-12-12-12. Which has been shot down. While i'm sure they'll try again, hopefully the SPFL will put some effort into getting a Reserve League in place for next season.

The Lowland League are meant to be having discussions over promotion and relegation between themselves and the league below. No guarantee it'll be in place for next season as the leagues might not find an agreement. The cup runs of Tier 6+ clubs in the Scottish and SCC will help their cause and the LL Playoff games will highlight the farcical nature of the 3 way round robin for 1 promotion spot when there's a bit more of a media spotlight for people to care.

As for the OF performances on the field? I don't think anyone is that surprised. East Kilbride was the only other likely title contender. The OF B teams are full time, signing players for 6 figure fees, and aren't playing against the best in the non-league.

55 minutes ago, stanley said:

They won’t be in the league in the future? I cannot honestly see clubs voting to keep them in and allow them access to promotion. Clubs like EK will not want an additional barrier in their way in terms of promotion.

The rule wording that has been drafted blocks the OF colt teams from being promoted into the SPFL and takes them out of the equation on determining the LL champion for the Club 42 playoffs. I get that people have very strong opinions on this and don't want them in but this rule change makes it easy for the LL to keep accomodating them moving forward if they so choose so it's premature to conclude that it's one year only at this point.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

4 hours ago, Dev said:

I haven't said that I want SPFL or LL/HL Reserves/Colts etc in any league. I am just trying to figure out why there's resistance to the idea in the 21st Century. These clubs aren't Celtic/Rangers.

It's a precedent and gives them a foothold to legitimise their right to enter. It's hard luck on the likes of Nairn and Stranraer but they would be collateral damage in the fight to keep Celtic and Rangers out.

12 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's a precedent and gives them a foothold to legitimise their right to enter. It's hard luck on the likes of Nairn and Stranraer but they would be collateral damage in the fight to keep Celtic and Rangers out.

I wouldn't worry about Nairn or Stranraer long term.

Stranraer have had a history of dipping in and out of the SoSFL at various points. With the Lowland Development League getting some depth to it there might come a point where they compare the value of SoSFL to SLDFL. The main problem there just now is that all the SPFL & LL sides are kept to the same division. Doesn't make sense trapsing to the East of Scotland for Friday night football.

Nairn County 'A' are meant to be a decent NoS u20 side that stayed together. This is only their 2nd season in the NCL. We'll see how long the experiment lasts.

As FWF has mentioned getting a reserve league of some form is a must. It’s worth remembering that other clubs didn’t want to fund a B team. 

It won’t be popular but I see the Vale had circa 400 for the visit of Rangers B yesterday. £10 a ticket that’s a big pay day by LL standards. 

21 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I see the Lowland League will have another six figure signing this season. Celtic are linked with Johnny Kenny of Sligo Rovers who will be parked in the B team.

For every five pounds they spend, we will spend ten.

On winning the fifth tier.

In front of a few hundred people.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I see the Lowland League will have another six figure signing this season. Celtic are linked with Johnny Kenny of Sligo Rovers who will be parked in the B team.

Great news for the Scotland team in a few years. 👍

Wait...

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

For every five pounds they spend, we will spend ten.

On winning the fifth tier.

In front of a few hundred people.

For the 5 fans they bring, we will bring 10.

Spoiler

Oh, players mums don't count. Then make it 0.

They're only in for the season. It was part of their overall proposal to the SPFL that would have seen the gradual increase of the SPFL to 12-12-12-12. Which has been shot down. While i'm sure they'll try again, hopefully the SPFL will put some effort into getting a Reserve League in place for next season.
The Lowland League are meant to be having discussions over promotion and relegation between themselves and the league below. No guarantee it'll be in place for next season as the leagues might not find an agreement. The cup runs of Tier 6+ clubs in the Scottish and SCC will help their cause and the LL Playoff games will highlight the farcical nature of the 3 way round robin for 1 promotion spot when there's a bit more of a media spotlight for people to care.
As for the OF performances on the field? I don't think anyone is that surprised. East Kilbride was the only other likely title contender. The OF B teams are full time, signing players for 6 figure fees, and aren't playing against the best in the non-league.
If there are no colt teams next season any chance they will keep an 18 team league? Really need more promotion from leagues below

On 06/01/2022 at 20:06, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Great news for the Scotland team in a few years. 👍

Wait...

You’d have thought they’d at least use Scots for the first season to try and pretend it was about the good of the Scotland National team (stop laughing at the back).  If they ever get their B Teams in the SPFL it’ll be exactly the same as their A Teams with barely a Scottish player on the field.  Everyone knows they don’t give a shit about developing players for the National team.