Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

1 hour ago, A Believer said:

Have they, have they really. No, beyond unsubstantiated anti old firm whataboutery, I've not seen one. Go on, humour me. But remember:-

1. It's a year.
2. There are no clauses linking it to any other initiatives.
3. There were no promotions, so it's not getting in the way of progress from the tier below.

Without liberal use of 'likely', 'probably' and sticking to actual fact, tell me why this is bad for anyone?

If they are able to invite colt teams, they should have asked for applications from interested parties.

Because it’s a foot in the door 
Because it’s not at the foot of the pyramid
Because it buys time to ramp up the SPFL 2 accession
Because SPFL 2 clubs will object to any club who do not finish in 1st place in LL being put forward into play off.  The arbitration did not consider that possibility
That the play off agreement states a team put forward must be from a competition involving clubs that are not SPFL members

'Foot in the door'...[emoji85][emoji23] Naw, it's just not. The rest also has absolutely nothing to do with, what is, a ONE YEAR, no strings attached deal. One and gone. And how's the play off agreement relevant when there was no play off from the tier below. More baying at the moon(ster)...

8 minutes ago, A Believer said:

'Foot in the door'...emoji85.pngemoji23.png Naw, it's just not. The rest also has absolutely nothing to do with, what is, a ONE YEAR, no strings attached deal. One and gone. And how's the play off agreement relevant when there was no play off from the tier below. More baying at the moon(ster)...

I don’t know what you are talking about re the play offs - but in essence if one of B teams finish first in LL in 2021/22 SPFL clubs will have a strong case to refuse any other club being declared LL champions in order to enter play off to get into L2.  Further the SPFL rules re the play off only permit a club 42 play off v a club that won a League competition which has no SPFL clubs in its membership - the B teams represent clubs who are already SPFL members 

38 minutes ago, A Believer said:
46 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:
If they are able to invite colt teams, they should have asked for applications from interested parties.

What makes you so sure they didn't.

See the source image

25 minutes ago, peternapper said:

The thing he is forgetting about is when Scotland is independent we may exclude foreign teams like his from playing in a Scottish competition 

Disagree.

I'm happy they are in our system because I'm still fucking furious about the Sack of Berwick in 1296.

2 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

I don’t know what you are talking about re the play offs - but in essence if one of B teams finish first in LL in 2021/22 SPFL clubs will have a strong case to refuse any other club being declared LL champions in order to enter play off to get into L2.  Further the SPFL rules re the play off only permit a club 42 play off v a club that won a League competition which has no SPFL clubs in its membership - the B teams represent clubs who are already SPFL members 

Re the bit in bold. No it doesn’t. It only states the winner of the competition between two clubs that are not spfl members. Nothing about clubs in said league.

Although I would argue that Celtic/Rangers B wouldn’t hold the required club license and also don’t have a ground that is license compliant, hence rangers at this moment scrambling to find any spfl club that will allow them use of the venue.

I’ll give you the fact that if a B team wins the league then second couldn’t be put forward as they wouldn’t be “champions” and also wouldn’t be selected on “sporting merit” if you ignored the team that actually won, I worry for the SLFL clubs that this hasn’t been thought through, although unless the B teams are full of ringers they wouldn’t be any more than mid table cannon fodder anyway.

35 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Disagree.

I'm happy they are in our system because I'm still fucking furious about the Sack of Berwick in 1296.

Not as furious as Berwick were about the attempted sack of 1963...

19 minutes ago, pipedreamer said:

I’ll give you the fact that if a B team wins the league then second couldn’t be put forward as they wouldn’t be “champions” and also wouldn’t be selected on “sporting merit” if you ignored the team that actually won, I worry for the SLFL clubs that this hasn’t been thought through, although unless the B teams are full of ringers they wouldn’t be any more than mid table cannon fodder anyway.

SPFL Challenge Cup games between Colts and Lowland League makes for grim reading. I don't expect either of them to win. However, they'll more likely to be challenging than most of the teams in the league. The Lowland League just got weaker with Kelty going up. EK and Bonnyrigg are probably the only two teams you can say on recent form are true title contenders.

Cumbernauld Colts 0-3 Hamilton Acadmical u20s
Rangers u20s 4-0 Stirling University
Partick Thistle u20s 6-1 Stirling University
East Stirlingshire 0-3 Motherwell u21s
Kelty Hearts 4-0 Kilmarnock u21s
Berwick Rangers 1-2 Rangers u21s
St Mirren u21s 1-0 East Kilbride
Hamilton Academical u21s 4-0 BSC Glasgow
Motherwell u21s 1-0 Spartans

Edited by FairWeatherFan

An understandable concern, however this was covered at SLFL meeting, and the highest placed SLFL club will be champions notwithstanding where the colts finish [emoji106]

5 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

SPFL Challenge Cup games between Colts and Lowland League makes for grim reading. I don't expect either of them to win. However, they'll more likely to be challenging than most of the teams in the league. The Lowland League just got weaker with Kelty going up. EK and Bonnyrigg are probably the only two teams you can say on recent form are true title contenders.

Reveal hidden contents

What recent form, they have played 10 games in a year.

The quality of Old Firm B team players playing in the Lowland League will be much lower than that playing in the Challenge Cup. Their Challenge Cup sides featured guys good enough to be on loan in the SPFL (often even in the Championship) and in the case of Rangers there were even occasionally senior players needing a run out (for example Eros Grezda).

I expect them still to loan out these guys, and the Lowland League will get their U17s and U18s and older guys not good enough who are kept on to make up the numbers. This isn't a development exercise for Rangers and Celtic so much as it is a political move.

30 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

the Lowland League will get their U17s and U18s and older guys not good enough who are kept on to make up the numbers. This isn't a development exercise for Rangers and Celtic so much as it is a political move.

I wouldn't be surprised to see either one sign a handful of "experienced pros" to bolster the team in the Lowland League (if it's allowed). Guys in their 30s who've jist been released from Championship clubs like Doolan. I've no doubt they would do it if they expect B teams there long term

25 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see either one sign a handful of "experienced pros" to bolster the team in the Lowland League (if it's allowed). Guys in their 30s who've jist been released from Championship clubs like Doolan. I've no doubt they would do it if they expect B teams there long term

They've to announce a minimum 22 player squad. The max age for the majority of the squad would be born in 2002 with one additional u21 outfielder and one additional u21 GK.

A player/coach aged 33+ can be signed for the 'B' team but would be ineligible for the 1st team. If any of the younger players play 5 games for the 1st team they become ineligible for the 'B' team in that transfer window.

During Rangers 6 game run to the 2019-20 SPFL Challenge Cup semi finals that would have ruled out starters like Eros Grezda (x4), Andy Firth (x1), George Edmundson (x1), Greg Docherty (x1), and Jon Flanagan (x1).

On 05/06/2021 at 21:09, A Believer said:

An understandable concern, however this was covered at SLFL meeting, and the highest placed SLFL club will be champions notwithstanding where the colts finish emoji106.png

Yes but SPFL can then dispute this - and thus there is another arbitration risk.  The LL then argue the team that finished first on merit over a fully completed season aren’t the champions - not sure I’d like to present that case.  

6 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Yes but SPFL can then dispute this - and thus there is another arbitration risk.  The LL then argue the team that finished first on merit over a fully completed season aren’t the champions - not sure I’d like to present that case.  

Whoever finishes top should be the Champions B team or not anything else is a farce.

I don’t think a B team will win it however.