Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

6 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

It was Berwick the old Rangers tried to shaft right enough, but East Stirlingshire weren't part of the five. Albion Rovers, Brechin City, Stenhousemuir and Stranraer were the other four clubs. At the time the 'Shire had had a brief dalliance in the top league, and eventually came down on the side of the five, against Rangers, who had also threatened expulsion to Alloa Athletic, Arbroath, Ayr United, Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton, East Fife, Montrose, Queen’s Park, Raith Rovers and Stirling Albion in exchange for one of the five, if they didn't side with the odious Ibrox club.

https://borussiabeefburg.wordpress.com/2012/12/08/the-press-sided-with-rangers-in-their-illogical-attempts-at-bullying/

I always get the five wrong, the only ones I can remember are Berwick & Brechin.

41 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Pretty sure Marten said Jong Ajax attendance was good to begin with but dropped rapidly.

First season they were in, 2013-14, they were fourth lowest attended (1237) in a league of twenty, with PSV2 and FC Twente2 below them. Next year their average was less than half, at 599. Last full season it was 695. In each of these seasons, the highest supported club in home fixtures was Willem II (2014- 9211), Roda JC Kerkrade with 10,711 (2015)   and FC Twente at 26274 in 2019.

B sides or Colts are consistently the lowest attended in that league.

This is a good question, they also proposed reducing the league by 6 teams in the 90s which was successfully opposed by the then Berwick chairman Tom Davidson. He actually negotiated a better deal for the existing then Division two and three clubs from the SPL, you can thank us later.  Didn't hear anyone from Aberdeen or any other higher league club for that matter jumping up and down then. 
The truth is the top league live and thrive off the Old Firm, the other league clubs, including us when we were in the league, prayed to draw them in the cup. Yet when a wee upstarty league want a slice it's no we cant be having that, it will ruin the game, not fair I tell thee, down with the little buggers, hey Andy! Start a petition. Hypocrisy all round I'm afraid
You're still in the Scottish Cup. Absolutely nobody is talking about cup games.

First season they were in, 2013-14, they were fourth lowest attended (1237) in a league of twenty, with PSV2 and FC Twente2 below them. Next year their average was less than half, at 599. Last full season it was 695. In each of these seasons, the highest supported club in home fixtures was Willem II (2014- 9211), Roda JC Kerkrade with 10,711 (2015)   and FC Twente at 26274 in 2019.
B sides or Colts are consistently the lowest attended in that league.
And in away games none of the 4 colt teams ever get even close to 100 nowadays. More often then not, there are more players on the pitch than away fans in the ground. Very often the home teams don't even bother opening the away end now. If any away fans do turn up, they just put them in the corner of the main stand to save on stewarding/staffing etc. costs.

Some of the claims of potential away attendances at OF colt games are just fantasy. I've read claims of 500 away fans as an absolute minimum. Anyone who thinks Rangers or Celtic will take 500+ fans to Innerleithen to watch their colts (which won't even include their better youth players who will be out on loan) play VoL is massively deluded.

The OF fans I know who are interested in non-league already watch another team when their "big team" don't play like Cambuslang or St. Roch's for example. Admittedly that's just a handful of people who I know, but there are plenty more like them and I can't imagine many of those watching their colts instead.

Just wanted to add a bit of balance to the Dutch B crowd discussion. Whilst I'm sure their normal games are scarcely attended, I was in Amsterdam on the night in 2018 when Ajax II won their league. I remember the game was on TV in one of the pubs we were in, and it's fair to say there was a decent crowd inside the Toekomst big stadium, with some quite impressive Pyro on display.

Anyway, looking back at my photos from that trip, we were in town for Ajax v AZ, and I see I have the best example of Full Kit Winker I've ever seen. What a way to dress yourself of a morning.

1621086760012_0_20180429_135433.jpeg

Was just getting my ticket for the Kelty-Brechin stream next week while I remember. If the LL really wanted to do something useful with this Colts cash they could set up a league-wide streaming service with one log-in, and all streamable games available in the one place, rather than having to have different accounts with different services for every team. I am sure there are some technical reasons I don't understand that would prevent this from working, but it's less of a pipe dream than thinking the Colts will bring a TV deal for the league. 

6 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Anyway, looking back at my photos from that trip, we were in town for Ajax v AZ, and I see I have the best example of Full Kit Winker I've ever seen. What a way to dress yourself of a morning.

at least theres no ambivalence regarding who he supports

9 hours ago, dougster said:

This is a good question, they also proposed reducing the league by 6 teams in the 90s which was successfully opposed by the then Berwick chairman Tom Davidson. He actually negotiated a better deal for the existing then Division two and three clubs from the SPL, you can thank us later.  Didn't hear anyone from Aberdeen or any other higher league club for that matter jumping up and down then. 

The truth is the top league live and thrive off the Old Firm, the other league clubs, including us when we were in the league, prayed to draw them in the cup. Yet when a wee upstarty league want a slice it's no we cant be having that, it will ruin the game, not fair I tell thee, down with the little buggers, hey Andy! Start a petition. Hypocrisy all round I'm afraid

59oms2.jpg.9c785781efa3fa475396548d2b7fa199.jpg

If the only ambition of your club is to suckle on the tit of the Old Firm then the sooner it dies along with the other Lowland League losers the better.

Rangers starting line up yesterday included not a single player available for the Scotland national team. This is how many weeks after they actually won the league? All the games since then have been opportunities to see how their own young highly rated Scottish players fare up against full time pros. Every opportunity for them to play some of their young Scottish talent. Why didn’t they if they are so keen on developing talent for the good of the Scottish game?

Actions speak louder than words.
It'd be a fair question if they weren't trying to go a full season unbeaten. It'd also be a wee bit disrespectful to the other clubs with their own targets if they played a 'weakened' side. Coincidentally an argument against the colts, if they did the same in SLFL.

1 hour ago, beaver1 said:

Rangers starting line up yesterday included not a single player available for the Scotland national team. This is how many weeks after they actually won the league? All the games since then have been opportunities to see how their own young highly rated Scottish players fare up against full time pros. Every opportunity for them to play some of their young Scottish talent. Why didn’t they if they are so keen on developing talent for the good of the Scottish game?

Actions speak louder than words.

They wanted to finish unbeaten and with the best defensive record?

George Fraser and co could make themselves national heroes today with one easy press release:

"In light of the disgusting scenes taking place throughout Glasgow yesterday, the Lowland League no longer wishes to be associated with any club whose fans behave in such a manner while "celebrating".

Consequently the offer to Rangers and Celtic to field youth sides in the League next season has been withdrawn. 

END."

Come on George. You know it makes sense. 

22 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

It was Berwick the old Rangers tried to shaft right enough, but East Stirlingshire weren't part of the five. Albion Rovers, Brechin City, Stenhousemuir and Stranraer were the other four clubs. At the time the 'Shire had had a brief dalliance in the top league, and eventually came down on the side of the five, against Rangers, who had also threatened expulsion to Alloa Athletic, Arbroath, Ayr United, Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton, East Fife, Montrose, Queen’s Park, Raith Rovers and Stirling Albion in exchange for one of the five, if they didn't side with the odious Ibrox club.

https://borussiabeefburg.wordpress.com/2012/12/08/the-press-sided-with-rangers-in-their-illogical-attempts-at-bullying/

16-16 as the national divisions would have been OK if there was a way provided for the 5 clubs to play their way back in later. The problem with what was being attempted in the 60s was that there was no Lowland League angle to it. It's bizarre that it took so long for the pyramid principle to take root and how it had to happen in England first before it even became a fringe idea in a Scottish context.

3 hours ago, A Believer said:
4 hours ago, beaver1 said:

It'd be a fair question if they weren't trying to go a full season unbeaten. It'd also be a wee bit disrespectful to the other clubs with their own targets if they played a 'weakened' side. Coincidentally an argument against the colts, if they did the same in SLFL.

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

They wanted to finish unbeaten and with the best defensive record?

So if Rangers are going for a stack of utterly meaningless statistical baubles their entire 'young Scottish player development' focus goes out the window. Actions do indeed speak louder than words then. 

Edited by vikingTON

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

George Fraser and co could make themselves national heroes today with one easy press release:

"In light of the disgusting scenes taking place throughout Glasgow yesterday, the Lowland League no longer wishes to be associated with any club whose fans behave in such a manner while "celebrating".

Consequently the offer to Rangers and Celtic to field youth sides in the League next season has been withdrawn. 

END."

Come on George. You know it makes sense. 

Do you want him to do that before or after he has a shower and puts away his WATP 1690 flag? 

Take a step back and think about what you’ve said here.