Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

You have to wonder about the Club Chairman and sponsor angle.....and its influence on the vote.

Based on the outline  requirement document uploaded, the funniest thing in it is the Boardroom requirement.

The (OF) Clubs must supply a minimum of 2 Board Members / Senior Executives to attend the Boardroom on matchdays.

It seems the LL Blazers need some company on matchday, Is it to ensure they get a better standard of buffet than previously, is because they are closet Old Firm fans and want to mix with the big boys, or is it for the benefit of sponsors coming along....all weird. Can only imagine who the OF will send along with the colt teams on matchdays....probably one of the list of jobs for the boys ex-players now kept on as "ambassadors".

Will Football ever rid itself of the scourge of the Blazer?

Edited by Dylangt7

13 minutes ago, Dylangt7 said:

You have to wonder about the Club Chairman and sponsor angle.....and its influence on the vote.

Based on the outline  requirement document uploaded, the funniest thing in it is the Boardroom requirement.

The (OF) Clubs must supply a minimum of 2 Board Members / Senior Executives to attend the Boardroom on matchdays.

It seems the LL Blazers need some company on matchday, Is it to ensure they get a better standard of buffet than previously, is because they are closet Old Firm fans and want to mix with the big boys, or is it for the benefit of sponsors coming along....all weird. Can only imagine who the OF will send along with the colt teams on matchdays....probably one of the list of jobs for the boys ex-players now kept on as "ambassadors".

That is 100% the most pathetic part of the whole thing. Imagine all the wee closet OF supporting chairmen at LL clubs puffing out their chest at the thought of meeting two suits and ties nobody's ever heard of and who'd rather be anywhere else in the world, just because they've got wee Rangers or Celtic badges on their ties. The number of embarrassing selfies that'll be going up on twitter...

16 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I really don't understand the blanket refusal of the three feeder league idea, unless the plan is to move to automatic promotion for all tier 5 champions. I can understand why the SPFL are skittish about 3 automatic promotion and relegation places. But automatic promotion doesn't even seem to be on the cards for now.

Two of the major problems with tier 5 right now is the population imbalance between the HL and LL catchment areas and the Tayside/Angus problem. North, East and West leagues at tier 5 solves these at a stroke.

If the juniors had taken the initiative years ago instead of leaving it to the East of Scotland League, that could have had a chance.

I'm not that big a believer in the population imbalance. The SPFL already has most of the biggest population centres in its set up. So at a regional level you're trying weigh the 1st choice team in a town/village compared to the 2nd/3rd/4th/5th choice elsewhere. Population wise it would be 4-1 until recently including the Juniors outside it would be a little over 2-1. Splitting into 3 is reasonably even on number of clubs.

Tayside and Angus has been solved. It should hopefully be done at this year's SFA AGM with NCL, North, and Midlands leagues falling under the Highland League.

Automatic promotion will only be helped by SPFL reconstruction. Where only the OF have been trying to rearrange things for their benefit, other than the COVID created talks last year.

14 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I'm not that big a believer in the population imbalance. The SPFL already has most of the biggest population centres in its set up. So at a regional level you're trying weigh the 1st choice team in a town/village compared to the 2nd/3rd/4th/5th choice elsewhere. Population wise it would be 4-1 until recently including the Juniors outside it would be a little over 2-1. Splitting into 3 is reasonably even on number of clubs.

Tayside and Angus has been solved. It should hopefully be done at this year's SFA AGM with NCL, North, and Midlands leagues falling under the Highland League.

Automatic promotion will only be helped by SPFL reconstruction. Where only the OF have been trying to rearrange things for their benefit, other than the COVID created talks last year.

I don't have a problem with population imbalance per se. But once clubs have 'found their level' through the pyramid, there could be a reasonable strength difference between the HL and LL. I don't think that's ideal for two supposedly equal leagues at one tier. Splitting the LL in two should even that out a fair bit.

Tayside and Angus is solved logistically but until and unless a significant number of Tayside/Angus clubs reach tier 5 from below, I can sympathise with the situation of clubs like Brechin who're put into the HL. An East of Scotland tier 5 league would suit them much better.

Edited by Gordon EF

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

Tayside and Angus is solved logistically but until and unless a significant number of Tayside/Angus clubs reach tier 5 from below, I can sympathise with the situation of clubs like Brechin who're put into the HL. An East of Scotland tier 5 league would suit them much better

It's fine how it is.

The authorities don't want 3 feeder league's

7 minutes ago, ian44wood said:

It's fine how it is.

The authorities don't want 3 feeder league's

Yeah, I've acknowledged that. I'm just saying I think there's a real argument for three, rather than two.

3 hours ago, Dylangt7 said:

It is so that some actual club officials are present over and above the coaching and playing staff.  Thus there are actual responsible club representatives that can be consulted on matters/issues that may arise 

4 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

This is from ESFC director Ian Fleming, on the surface not much too it, but he thinks the vote would have gone differently if this has been more than a one season incursion by the OF. Nonetheless, the final sentence seems to suggest there have been private revelations, to the LL at least, that the pair of clubs think they will be taking their colts to a different stage in 2022.

"A lot of people seem to think this was done purely for money but given it's only £50,00 to the league, that isn't automatically given to the clubs and even if it was it would be little over £3000 each, although that’s not to be scoffed at it won't change anyone’s season and is pretty negligible in the grand schemes of things.
Given it's only for one year, and we've had that confirmed, the rule of the league will be changed and extending beyond one season would have to go to another vote.
It seemed the majority of clubs would not be keen on that based on last night’s meeting, at this moment in time we would not vote to extend it beyond this season.
From our point of view this won't be detrimental to any tier six teams, as none were going to be promoted after last season anyway, so they are not taking a place form any other team.”

Fleming added that he believes having the two teams in the division will bring new eyes to the Lowland League as well as increased attention in media outlets, something that can only be seen as a positive.

"We felt it was a great way, rightly or wrongly, to highlight the league to new people and that hopefully gives us something to build on in the future after Rangers and Celtic have gone off to wherever they go at the end of the season.

https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/football/east-stirlingshire-vote-in-favour-of-celtic-and-rangers-joining-lowland-league-for-one-season-only-3232280

I will be averting my eyes.

19 hours ago, superbigal said:
23 hours ago, superbigal said:
If we accept there is a place for Colts teams.(I don't).
Can you then accept they should be in the West of Scotland Football League and nowhere near the lowland league ?
In fact why would they not develop just as well playing Neilston and Cambuslang rather than Vale of Leithen and Edinburgh University ?

Che Dull certainly still not answered my question.

Sorry.

Possibly, yes - but would reserve judgement after the 1yr pilot.

If we accept the purpose of the project is to provide suitable competition for professional footballers, you have to question if pitching them in T7 or T8 would provide that.

And for sporting integrity it would reduce 'ventilation' as the B sides (inevitably) work through the leagues, at the expense of other clubs. 

The preference was to pitch the B teams into the SPFL 2.  But for the current purposes, I think the LL is a suitable compromise for the pilot. After a year we'd see how the players compete at that level, and what interest is generated from fans.

I think both Celtic and Rangers will add >300 to the gate at Bonnyrigg / Berwick / Gala / East Kilbride. Only one way to find out.

Edited by Che Dail

29 minutes ago, Che Dail said:

Sorry.

Possibly, yes - but would reserve judgement after the 1yr pilot.

If we accept the purpose of the project is to provide suitable competition for professional footballers, you have to question if pitching them in T7 or T8 would provide that.

And for sporting integrity it would reduce 'ventilation' as the B sides (inevitably) work through the leagues, at the expense of other clubs. 

The preference was to pitch the B teams into the SPFL 2.  But for the current purposes, I think the LL is a suitable compromise for the pilot. After a year we'd see how the players compete at that level, and what interest is generated from fans.

I think both Celtic and Rangers will add <300 to the gate at Bonnyrigg / Berwick / Gala / East Kilbriede. Only one way to find out.

We've already found out, look at any Challenge Cup game involving them. Naecunt watches them. Keep peddling the same pish though, you're doing a great job of hammering home just how bad this whole project is.

Edited by The Moonster

5 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Another thing bugging me: if George Fraser, in his role as President of the LL, as he claims was the one who made the approach to the Old Firm to offer the chance to play in his league, and not the other way round, WHY did he choose only these two?

He's been sat on this working group since the start of the year. During which the OF have obviously been shilling the Colts. During which only Aberdeen are meant to be interested in the idea. With everyone ignoring ICT's previous attempt to get into the Highland League. That might have been the excuse he'd give for it.

Of course as soon as you opened it up i'm sure other clubs would jump on it just to keep up with the Joneses. Which would have also led to a more public discussion ending the idea before it could be sneaked in.

Got my Kelty email asking for my vote. A resounding NO from me. Hopefully, as mentioned above by [mention]leomessi1984 [/mention] that seems to be the way the majority of returns are going.

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

TV deal...thousands of fans attending...massive bribe joining fee...

Even if you believe in the TV deal i'm not entirely sure where it's meant to go. Saturday 3pm kick offs are a no go. Friday nights on BBC Scotland are tied into SPFL and SFA deals. BBC Alba has coverage on Saturday evenings in a SPFL deal. Then Sky is doing what they do with the SPFL which takes away the casual Scottish interest. I'm not sure Premier Sports are that desperate to try and get some OF coin.

9 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Direct quote from that article: "Dress it up all you like, but no one wants to watch the kids – especially against men."

I've seen Schalke and  Dortmund under 23s play in the 5th level in Germany and neither of these clubs that get 60,000 plus every week could muster 200 in either game.